“Resort was clean and employees were very nice”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed July 6, 2014

This resort is very clean and everyone was nice but, my room was in a horrible spot at the hotel. I was on the 6th floor in a corner. To get from the parking area to my room was a task in itself. If I ever plan on going to Galveston again, and I was booked in one of these rooms, I would seek elsewhere.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank saenzkevin
There are newer reviews for Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center

Reviewed July 4, 2014 via mobile

As an executive I have stayed in many four-star hotels, but this is truly a remarkable place to stay. I have never had anyone go so far out of the way to make me feel welcome I will stay at the Moody Gardens every single time I come here it is a wonderful place and I couldn't recommend it more.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Jim Y
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2014

Dear Jim Y,

Thank you so much for the nice comments about our hotel and staff! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed everything during your stay.

We would love to chance to welcome you back to Moody Gardens in the future.

Reviewed July 3, 2014

This is a great stay for a family. The resort has something for everyone from the water-park for the children to the swim-up bar for the adults. The rooms are recently renovated-really lovely decor. Nearly every room has a view of something. You really get into "vacation mode" quickly. The staff is very helpful (though I'd suggest a tour of the hotel for new-hires as a front desk clerk sent me 180 in the wrong direction). Bring ear-plugs. It's not a place for romance...the walls are paper-thin. I could hear the guy in the next room unzip his pants. The next night a baby cried non-stop despite the parents and three other children's efforts to quiet her (yes, without ever seeing them, you will know who all the folk are in the room next to you). If you have a family and want a full-service resort, this is the perfect spot in Galveston.

Room Tip: Ask if it's possible to be in a room with no one to either side of you. If the occupancy is low...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank AlegriaTequila

Dear AlegriaTequila,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. We are pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I apologize for you being sent in the wrong direction. Thank you for the feedback I have passed it on to the Front Desk Manager to prevent this from occurring again.

We hope to welcome you and your family back to Moody Gardens very soon for another visit.

Reviewed July 2, 2014

This was our first trip to a family resort since our now grown children were small. This time, my husband and I were accompanied by our son, daughter-in-law and two year old grandson. This hotel exceeded our family's expectations in every way. The guestrooms are recently updated and the pillows, towels and linens are high quality. Although some of the public areas could use some updating, the guestroom hallways and interiors feature bright, fresh decor, carpeting and paint. The grounds are gorgeous and immaculately maintained. With all of the sargassum clogging Galveston's beaches, it was so nice to have access to the Palm Beach. We all enjoyed the beach and various waterpark offerings as well as the close access to Moody Gardens and its varieties of entertainment. We also all enjoyed the hotel pool which was fully staffed at all times during open hours. We never lacked for anything! Yes, the pool towels could be a bit nicer, but that is not a complaint, just an observation. We used both the Cafe in the Park and room service and were pleased with the food quality, variety and price. Most of all, the staff we encountered on every level and in every department was first rate -- always happy, helpful and friendly. The Moody Gardens Hotel obviously promotes a culture of happy staff = happy guests. I recommend this hotel for any family with both picky children and adults to entertain and pamper!

Room Tip: The Junior Suites feature great balconies overlooking the pool and Moody Gardens! We all enjoyed ou...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Lynn M
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear Lynn M,

Thank you so much for the nice comments about Moody Gardens and our staff! We are delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed everything during your stay and that your experience at Moody Gardens exceeded your expectations. It's great to hear that you were able to enjoy Moody Gardens’ Palm Beach, it’s an extra benefit to staying at Moody Gardens with no seaweed, white sand and the entrance fee is included in your hotel room rate.

We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you and your family back to Moody Gardens in the future.

Garvin O’Neil

Reviewed June 30, 2014

We visited Moody Gardens and Hotel a few times over the years beginning in 1999. We recently visited again for a conference and family trip. Luckily, we stayed in the newer / renovated part of the hotel. The rooms were fairly nice and clean. Unfortunately, the rest of the hotel really needs an aesthetic and service update. We looked forward to taking our children down to the pool but it really was a disappointment. Pool towels were really old, thin and worn and believe it or not, the pool bar was not even open during the day. There was no service for drinks or food of any kind by the pool and you had to walk inside to the ice cream parlor to get any kind of refreshment. The parlor was only staffed by one person who had to walk all the way to the hotel bar to get cocktails for many pool loungers. The snack bar / ice cream parlor had the same decor it did when we visited in 1999 and it was really dirty inside. The areas underneath the refrigerators and equipment behind the ice cream counter were really unclean. The workout room was abandoned by the staff with teenagers propping doors open to freely walk in and out from the pool area and working out in wet clothes. There were tvs but no remote controls. On a positive note, the hotel restaurant in the lobby area was staffed well and food was good. Only thing it needs, like the rest of the common areas of the hotel, is an design update and new carpet. One more thing, I encourage the hotel to please remove the poor turtles, alligators and other furry animal from the unfit habitat they are in along the hallways leading to exhibit hall. They look miserable and there is no supervision by staff as to who is taunting them. Children were banging on the windows and scaring them when we were there.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the newer wing / remodeled part of hotel.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank karen g
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear Dear Karen G,

Thank you for your candid feedback regarding your visit. I appreciated the candor in which you wrote, expressing what you liked and what disappointed you. I was embarrassed to read of the condition of the service and appearance of the pool area and Blossoms and please accept my most sincere apologies. It appears that you may have visited before Memorial Day weekend when we opened up our new lobby and lobby bar which gives a wonderful fresh feel to the public areas. We did experience some staffing issues in May but I can assure you, since then, the pool and all outlets are fully staffed. I would welcome the opportunity to win back your confidence and can be reached via email at goneil@moodygardens.com

I also shared your feedback with our Animal Husbandry Director and he appreciated your concern. We try to capture suitable underused spaces as a way to put some of the animals in front of our guests rather than at off exhibit locations. The care of these animals is part of an ongoing partnership with the US Fish and Wildlife Department and the Association of Zoos and Aquariums and Moody Gardens is highly regarded as one of the finest facilities in the US for the care of these animals. Our goal is to create a natural habitat for each animal while allowing our guests to see them. Sometimes our visitors are less than gracious in their interaction and we do intervene when we see it going on. Please know the animals in this area are well cared for.

Thank you again for the feedback and we look forward to winning back your trust should your travels return you to Galveston Island.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

This was my first visit to Galveston. My husband and I stayed at the hotel for a business conference. Our room was clean and decorated nicely, and the bed and pillows were comfortable. The hotel is surrounded with beautiful palm trees and many different kinds of plants. Inside the hotel, there are various plants as well. There were different kinds of activities to do, many of them family-oriented. There was a rain forest, an aquarium and an IMAX theater. The hotel staff was very helpful and professional. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Taylor P
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2014

Dear Taylor P,

Thank you so much for the nice comments about Moody Gardens and our staff.

Your feedback and recommendation are greatly appreciated. We look forward to welcoming you back to Moody Gardens soon.

Reviewed June 29, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Moody Gardens Hotel for a conference, and we enjoyed our stay. We definitely saw that it was a great place for families with all of the activities that are on the property including Palm Beach, the Pyramids, and Schlitterbahn. The pools on site were great, and we enjoyed the Cafe in the Park. The room was very nice and included a safe as well as a small refrigerator. And we have to say that the pillows were actually pretty good! Not the typical hotel pillows.

The only thing we didn't like was the parking. There was a very small parking garage for guests to use (most of it was for Valet), and the rest of the parking was surface lots. Getting your luggage from the surface lots to the hotel involved hauling it up a bunch of stairs which was less than enjoyable since it is hot and humid in Galveston.

Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would recommend Moody Gardens to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Julie R

Dear Julie R,

Thank you so much for the nice comments about Moody Gardens! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

We appreciate your recommendation and hope to welcome you back to Moody Gardens in the future.