“We're returning...”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed January 22, 2014

We spent one night a couple weeks ago with our daughter and granddaughter and had 2 adjoining rooms with a special package that included breakfast, the Light Festival, and goodies for our granddaughter. Although the hotel also had a convention and was quite busy, we had no complaints with service or anything else. The rooms were spacious, comfortable, and well appointed. We enjoyed the breakfast buffet-nice variety and well prepared. The dinner we ate at the Garden restaurant was only "ok." We were quite happy with our stay and appreciated being able to check into one room early, so we're taking our other daughter and her daughter in a couple weeks.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I was a tag-a-long with my sister who was attending a seminar at the Hotel. The only restaurant open during our stay was the Garden Cay. The food was mediocre & that is being kind. The service in the bar and the restaurant was VERY good so it was a shame that the food didn't match the service. I was surprised at how nice our hotel room was. My husband & I stayed at the Hotel Galvez two years ago, and the room at Moody Gardens was nicer. I was very surprised. Now the rudest thing that happened at this hotel was regarding the "bellman" or "valet parker" or whatever the men were who stood outside as we drove up. Two male employees standing around did not even offer to help get our bags out of our car! Watched us struggle & didn't offer a hand! Even if they were just men & not employees, they should have offered to help. Obviously supervision is needed in this area. $18/day parking fee, but you can self-park for free. No concierge and the employees at the front desk didn't have a clue as to nice restaurants in the area. I personally went to the Moody Aquarium. Enjoyable but not as great as I thought it would be. This would probably be fun for kids however.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed January 20, 2014

My wife and I had ventured down to Galveston for the day and decided to stay the night. Most hotels in the area were booked, and on a whim we tried Moody Gardens. We were pleasantly surprised to say the least. We've been to Galveston several times over the last 10 years we've lived in Houston, and always said we would like to give it a try. We were able to book a room at the last minute online and when we got there they actually bumped us up to a King room on the 8th floor. The interior of the hotel is very nice and fairly well kept, as was the room. The room had a very modern look/feel almost like it has been remodeled in the last year or two, and still in very good condition. The bed was comfy and had several pillows on it, as well as an extra in the closet. The worst thing I can say about our stay was the water pressure in the shower was a little low, but it still worked okay. Overall, we were quite pleased and will try to come back again some time in the future for a longer stay so we can experience the resort.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the pyramids are preferred.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank TexasRonA
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Took the family to Galveston for Thanksgiving and we had a blast at the Festival of Lights. Getting in was not bad at all. They had a lot for the kids. They had fun snack food, schmoors, ice skating, a fire thrower, tons of decorations. The line to get into the ice slide was too long, too slow, too pricey, and too short of a ride so we skipped it. Definitely a wonderful time for the whole family. Great was to start the holiday and get in the spirit.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 14, 2014

We were required to stay at this hotel due to a recent cheer competion.
Complaints:
1. Room smelled when we first entered. After spraying the room, the smell finally subsided.
2. Room service charge 19% ---CRAZY
3. Luggage carts railing was broken on 3 different carts
4. You pay for extra coffee,,,,,,,which is fine, but when I pay please don't re-stock with my purchased coffee and try to pass it off as the coffee you left as re-stocking. When front desk was called about error, I received 2 coffees instead of 4 as I should have received.
5. $18 valet parking and your car is not even in covered parking.

Compliments:
1. Bed was comfortable
2. Shower/Water~~steamy hot!!

In closing, I always had wanted to stay here but I am cured now!! Mark this hotel off my list of future stay locations while in Galveston!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded January 21, 2014

Dear SANDRAWR2,

Thank you for your feedback. I can understand your frustration regarding the bell carts and the confusion with the Keurig Coffee replacements and I have followed up with our Housekeeping and Maintenance departments. Please know that our valet parking and room service charges are fairly standard with hotels like ours. In these two departments, we are happy to adjust the charges if the service is not good.

I will be happy to oversee any future reservations to ensure you have a flawless experience, and I can be reached at the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back and providing you with the excellant service and quality we are known for.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

The room was not as promised.  At time of reservation was told either double beds or pull out sofas would be provided.  Front desk mgr at 10pm on January 10th was less than helpful and rude. I had to complain to get  1roll away and demand a 2nd. 4 adults in a king size bed does not work. Mgr said room was legal with 5 people in a king room.  For the price I paid my family should not have to sleep on a roll away bed.  At check in I was told no double beds were available but the lady next to me requested doubles and got them after me.  Check in clerk said there would be a sofa in the room as well.  Saturday night I requested a late checkout for Sunday and was told that I couldn't because they were full.  My friend asked after me and got a 2pm check out.  I again returned to the desk and asked how my friend could get a 2pm checkout but I couldn't.  The manager then gave me a late checkout. I was expecting so much more from this hotel.  We were lied to from the start to the end.  It's poor business and the employees need customer service training.  I also left a message for the manager and never received a call back. When I asked the front desk mgr to get a mgr for me she said she was the mgr and to complete asatisfaction survey and the mgr would see it.  I do believe my family received the worst treatment as compared to others in our group. However that is a big inconsistency in performance on the hotel's end. The facility has so much potential but definitely is not meeting expectations. I will be telling anyone and everyone about the poor and disrespectful treatment my family received.

On a positive note the manager at the front desk on Saturday evening around 8pm was the nicest employee we had all weekend. He intervened when I was being told I could not have a late checkout after my friend was just given one. And the other clerk was telling me i would have to pay 50 dollars and could stay until 5. If there was no availability for a 2pm checkout how could there be availability for a 50 dollar 5pm checkout. shaking my head!!!

• Stayed: January 2014

Dear Czaricor,

Thank you for your comments. I was disappointed to read how inconsistent we were over a busy period in January and, on behalf of all of us, please accept my most sincere apologies. We go to great lengths to assign the correct room to each guest’s needs and it appears that we dropped the ball with your stay. I would be happy to visit with you personally so I can identify where specifically we dropped the ball and follow up with training. I regret the inconvenience we caused and we would also like to win back your confidence in us.

Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

Some rooms have been upgraded but the grounds are dated. Stay away from the over priced egg bacon breakfast. It's nothing but watered down eggs and bacon plus some basic continental food type fare. $46.00 for the whole family. Barely worth $15.00 in my opinion.

Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank cavjock

Dear Cavjock

Thank you for your feedback regarding the breakfast buffet. While I cannot speak to your specific circumstance, over all the comments regarding our buffet breakfast are very good. We may have not kept up with the offerings as well as we should have when you went through the buffet and please know that I have shared your posting with our restaurant manager and kitchen crew to make sure we are more consistent going forward.

We would love to welcome you back and have the opportunity to not only meet your expectations but to exceed them. We hope to have the chance to do so.