“Much improved”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Since my last visit to Moody Garden about one year ago the rooms have undergone renovation. Gone is the Golden Girls type decor of pink and teal and instead a smart beach type them predominates. Everything has been improved - furniture, decor,lighting, carpets and bathroom. The results are dramatic and a great improvement. Some of the public areas seem to have been improved, resulting in fresh and modern feeling.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Adrian G,

Thank you for your wonderful review. I was pleased to read that you found the newly renovated rooms and public areas a great improvement. Your review is appreciated and I have shared your comments with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My husband surprised me with a family package to the opening of the festival of lights. It was myself, my husband, our 12 year old daughter and 10 year old son. My kids are seasoned travelers and they definitely approved of this place! The hotel is gorgeous and rooms were relatively clean for my liking. I am pretty picky about cleanliness, so I bring my Clorox wipes! We did have a couple of complaints. 1) the water in the sink and shower got warm at best. Not hot. I like a good hot shower, but it never got very warm. 2) I went to the restaurant to ask a question and there was a hostess talking to another employee and I stood there for a good 10 minutes while she ignored me to talk to the other person. I finally gave up, but I do have her name! 3) we called down for more wash cloths - we had TWO in the room for a family of FOUR. The lady at the front desk acted like I was asking for her to bring me her first born child! It took two calls to the front desk to get some brought up.
All in all, we did enjoy our trip. The lights were amazing. We had an awesome view of the pyramids and lights from our room!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2013

Dear ronzobonzo,

Thank you for your review and I am so pleased that the room meet your expectations for cleanliness and that you enjoyed the festival of lights and the great view from your room. I was disappointed to read of our lack of attentiveness at the restaurant and the front desk. You deserved better and I sincerely apologize for these lapses. We did experience some hot water challenges that weekend but have that issue resolved. While our associates are normally much more guest centered, I did share your review with the Front Office and Restaurant managers so we can identify some training issues. Thank you again for your recommendation and gracious feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed November 18, 2013

We loved staying at Moody Gardens. My grandson esp. liked the pool. All the staff was helpful.The grounds are beautiful and very peaceful. The hotel is clean and well maintained wth plenty of activities on the hotel grounds. My daughter and I esp. liked the Earth bath essentials.The soap was wonderful! Looking forward to our next trip there!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear Nancy C,

Thank you for the wonderful review of Moody Gardens Hotel. I was pleased to read that you found our staff helpful and the grounds beautiful and peaceful. It’s wonderful to hear that you and your family enjoyed all the amenities and activities we offer at Moody Gardens. We look forward to having you return to us the next time you visit Galveston.

Reviewed November 12, 2013

We loved our experience so much we are considering a quick getaway here in just a few weeks. The hotel was immaculate and everyone was very friendly. I know it was very challenging for the staff, with it being Lone Star Rally weekend, but everything was handled very smoothly. We stayed there on the Cruise Package which gives you transport to and from the ship as well as valet parking for the week.

We had our check in time with the Disney Wonder for 11:00-11:30 and we were on the shuttle promptly at 10:30am and at the port within just minutes. On the return, we called as soon as we got our luggage and the van pulled up just minutes after we walked outside. Plus the car was already out and waiting for us to load up as soon as we arrived at the hotel. It was very efficient.

We also loved the decor of the room. It was very upscale. I understand that the hotel had been recently renovated and refurbished. It was very nice. We had a great view of the pool area and the bay.

Choose this hotel and you won't be disappointed. We are looking forward to our next stay here.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

Dear cruisinsince75,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that Moody Gardens and our staff were able to exceed your expectations. It’s great to hear that you loved our newly renovated rooms and the Cruise Special. I am delighted to hear you are thinking of returning in a few weeks for a quick getaway. Starting November 16, Moody Gardens will be transformed into a Winter Wonderland with our Festival of Lights. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

We ended our vacation in Galveston and stayed at the Moody Gardens. This property was great. The staff were very friendly and accommodating. The grounds were beautiful. This property is off of the main seawall but is a short drive. Our only regret was that it was Bike weekend and we didn't get to enjoy Galveston as much as we would have liked due to places being over crowded. We spent more time in the hotel and enjoyed everything they had to offer.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear 63impala,

Thank you for leaving feedback about your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found that there is no reason to leave the property to relax and have fun. I am sorry to hear that due to crowds on the Island you did not get to enjoy Galveston as much as you wanted to. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service, hospitality and accommodations. I have passed along your feedback to our entire staff. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We returned again to Moody Gardens Hotel for our yearly trip down to Galveston for the Lone Star Rally. Moody Gardens was more accommodating and biker-friendly than last year - Hotel did not appear to be crowded. Check in was very friendly and swift. Our room was ready and clean and had been refurbished since our visit last year - this year, we had a pyramid view on the 8th floor. Room was nicely finished, Bed slept very well, given the late night traffic, room was quiet. Moody Gardens rooms are still finished in pastels but updated. The in room sofa is a nice touch. The refinished rooms are now updated and we were treated better by the staff than last year (except for the parking lot attendant with bike issues on Saturday @5:00pm - stop giving him authority - it's gone to his head) All-in-all a pleasant stay. We eat in the Hotel restaurant - the food is ALWAYS consistently good.

Room Tip: Higher you go the better the view - go for the pyramid view if possible
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mikesth

Dear mikesth,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay at Moody Gardens. The Lone Star Rally is a great event on the Island and I am glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. I am pleased to read you found our newly renovated rooms nicely finished and our staff to be accommodating. I would like to extend my sincerest apologies to you for any issues had with the parking attendant. I have forwarded your comment to the Guest Services Manager so we can find a solution to prevent the same thing from occurring in the future. Your feedback is appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back for Lone Star Rally 2014.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went here for an industry convention. Was very impressed with the facility and hotel. Currently undergoing remodel. We had a room that had already been done. Very nice! Good size bathroom. Convention facility was great! First class treatment! I would love to go back here in the summer for a weekend trip.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear TXleegr,

Thank you for leaving a review about your recent stay at Moody Gardens Hotel, Spa and Convention Center. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your newly renovated room and convention experience. We hope to welcome you back this summer.