“Fun in the sun”

Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Atlanta, GA
“Fun in the sun”
Reviewed July 25, 2008

Moody Gardens is a wonderful place to take your family! There's so much to do and see, the zoo, the rainforest, the beaches the pool area; it's just a great place. The rooms were very neat and clean, the cleaning crew were there anytime you needed them as well as the hotel staff. Before you end your summer or plan for next summer make Moody Gardens Hotel the place!!!!!!

• Liked — The rooms
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank gingerlyevents

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Thai first
louisiana
Reviewed July 14, 2008

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel. The kids loved the pool and the children's activities. My husband enjoyed the spa and fitness room. We all enjoyed the convenience of the attractions and the tram. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
houston
Reviewed June 28, 2008

The hotel management charged me for double occupancy instead of a single because they said I had an guest. I contacted the management and advised that I was the only occupant in my room and this manager called me a liar. This hotel charged my credit card double occupancy. While at the hotel for a business conference several people advised that the hotel was overcharging. This is the Worst Hotel Management I have ever had to deal with.

• Liked — Nothing
  • Disliked — Everthing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
3 Thank conroe1
Louisiana
Reviewed June 18, 2008

Not so pleased with our stay. The dining room was beautiful the food was over priced and average. Also the menu could use an update. It was not very family friendly. The kids menu especially. All of our glasses in 0ur room were chipped and sharp. A definate hazard to any ones lips. And good luck getting any help at the front desk besides checking in or out. They should be more clear on where there water park is. It is not the one next door!!!! That is pricey.. The pool is nice when it is actually open. If you like to pay a lot for dissapointment I highly suggest it. If you want to have a great time there I would stay some place else. Moody Gardens it self was beautiful and a very fun time..

Stayed June 2008
4 Thank louisianagrace
Aurora, Colorado
Reviewed May 25, 2008

Stayed at the property for a 5-day meeting. Impressive entrance and lobby; however, the rooms need attention (echoed by several others in attendance). In my room, there were several issues to include the shower rod falling down, the shower head was very rusted, the vent was full of lint/dust and there were scuff marks on the walls in several areas. I had to call the Front Desk twice before a maintenance person showed to try to fix the shower rod. He was not able to make the repairs -- commenting that if he broke one of the tiles he would be fired. He was also not in any type of uniform which is expected when paying $150 per night. The AC in the rooms worked great! One of the attendees needed a wheelchair (recent knee surgery) and I asked for one at the Front Desk. The reply was that there was not one and that maybe I should go over to the Visitors Center to see if they had one that I could borrow. This hotel promotes that they have wheel chairs available, yet I was told to go look for one at another building -- poor guest service. When asking the Front Desk staff for directions to Blossom's, I was told by two agents that they did not know where it was located and then the third agent stated that she would look up the number, call them and get directions -- indicating that she had lived in Galveston a long time and not heard of Blossoms. I found this almost comical as this is a snack bar located inside of their hotel! The staff at the Front Desk certainly needs more training on thier property -- and the locations of ball rooms, meeting rooms and other facilities. The various attractions at the property were all great! There is lots of variety and could see where a family could have a great time for a few days. I ate at the Terrace restaurant and found the food to be good -- wonderful breakfast buffet with what tasted like real fresh squeezed orange juice. Room service was not so good and was much more expensive than eating the same items in the restaurant. All of the Bell Staff were friendly with a special kudo to Scott -- he delivered excellent customer service on several occassions. Parking is $18 per day if you park in the garage and free if you park in the lot -- park in the lot. If I were returning to Galveston for pleasure, I would not stay at the property as the room rates are too high for the experience received. I would recommend staying at another property that is closer to the beach and paying the entrance fee to the attractions that you want to visit.

• Liked — Attractions
  • Disliked — Maintenance Problems in Room
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank TravelingManCO
Spring, Texas
Reviewed May 21, 2008

We booked a getaway weekend here to take our six year old son as an extension of our honeymoon. We wanted to take in Schlitterbahn and palm beach, and since this was "within walking distance" of both, and seemed to be a reputable hotel, we decided to stay for our first, and last time here.

First, the hotel may be next door to Schlitterbahn, in fact, a few steps and you can be looking through the fence at waterslides. However, within walking distance is a stretch. You have to walk completely around to the opposite side of the park to get around the fencing. You might as well drive the distance and park at Schlitterbahn. They have plenty of FREE parking. If we were going to drive to the park, however, we would have stayed somewhere further away.

The hotel is very beautiful from the outside. The inside is very average. Holiday Inn type decor. Cheap bedding, hard beds, horribly abrasive decorations/patterns. We booked a room in the North Tower which was an upgrade from their regular rooms. After waiting in line for almost a half hour, during check in we were told that although you have to go through a maze and two separate elevators to get to it, being in the North Tower would be worth it. We got to the room and were disappointed. Standard, tiny room. Nothing special about it, with a view overlooking the pool so we got to hear all the noise until 11pm and as early as 7am.

Another point: the pool has no lifeguard, nor security guard on duty. They have posted rules regarding no children in the hot tub, etc etc, but no one enforcing them. So of course, it is chaotic to say the least. For a hotel of the caliber they claim to be, it would be nice if someone at least enforced some minimal rules. I was watching as 18children rough housed, splashed, etc in a hot tub that not only was meant for about 8 ppl but ADULTS, not children, and is posted as such. Sitting in the hot tub, I got literally jumped over by 3 different children climbing over my lap to get to the other bench.

Breakfast Buffet.. YUCK... 36$ for 2adults and 1 child for some rubbery eggs, stale biscuits, donuts, bagels and boxed cereal. NASTY and like everything else at this hotel, ridiculously overpriced for the value.

The best part of our trip was leaving the hotel to have dinner at Willie Gs. Great place! The hotel also had s'more making night which our 6yr old really enjoyed.

Bottom line. For half the price, get the same room, amenities and such at the holiday inn down the seawall. Buy your own graham crackers and marsmallows and make your own s'mores. You pay 200+/night at this hotel, you could always fork over the extra 50-60$ and stay at the superb San Luis.

• Liked — Our drive away from it.
  • Disliked — PRICE and VALUE ... or lack thereof
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank AngelJA26
League City, Texas
Reviewed May 12, 2008

I stayed at Moody Gardens May 8-11, 2008 for the first annual Galveston Classic Car Show. When I first checked in the reservation agent was rude and short with me. I am a very friendly and outgoing person so this was surprising to me that the reservation agent acted like this. The room they put my family in had trouble with the air conditioner and we stayed there for about 8 hours and could not stand the heat any longer. My wife called the front desk and within ten minutes we were in another room and the air did work in this room. The grounds were always kept clean and there were always things planned for the children. There was a prom that was held on Saturday and I do have to say that security did a great job keeping the kids quiet and we did not hear anyone in the pool after eleven. I was skeptical when I found out there would be a prom held the weekend that I would be there but job well done for Moody Gardens. I would recomend Moody Gardens as an interesting place to stay. The employees are not the most friendly bunch but hey you are on vacation and really do not need to rely on the employees too often.