“Feeling Very Moody!”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“Feeling Very Moody!”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

My wife and I are really trying to like this hotel, but we keep running into roadblocks every time we stay here. This is our third stay at Moody Gardens. We stayed here last almost a year ago to the weekend when the remodeling was getting under way.

Check in was smooth, even with a big wedding and the event we were there for. The bar area is nice. Our fault is not with the grounds or the other parts of the hotel, it is always our room!

We stayed in Rm. 819 on 10.12.13. This was a Saturday night. We were part of a group riding a two day 180 mile bike ride. We had been on our bikes for 100 miles pedaling from Baytown all day and were really looking forward to our room and a shower and some rest.

The room was clean and on first impressions everything looked great! I took the first shower while my wife was doing something else. The sink in the bathroom would not drain when pulling or pushing the drain release due to the fact it was not connected so if you wanted to drain the sink you had to pry the drain cap out of the drain itself and hold it in place till the sink drained. I had to do this numerous times and it became old very quick. No, we didn't call the front desk and complain because last year when we stayed we had maintenance guys in and out of the room all evening and they couldn't resolve last years problem so we did not want to go through that all over again. I did mention it to the front desk when I went back downstairs and they asked if I wanted to see a Manager and again said no because I did not want to go through all of this again like last year. This was not the same problem as last year. Things break I know, but come on and fix them before the next guest arrives.

The newly remodeled shower was already losing its finish in places and it made it look dirty and old with the contrast of new and run down. The shower dish for the soap and shampoo was not large enough to hold soap, shampoo, and conditioner at the same time. One or more of the items kept falling into the tub. It didn't seem well thought ou to me.

We asked the front desk if we could have a shuttle ride to a restaurant on the seawall like we did last year, but were told at first that the shuttles did not leave the property and then by another desk person that they were busy with a large group and could not. We may have been part of the large group, but were also a year earlier when Lubos gave us a ride to Gaidos Restaurant for dinner and then picked us up. For a property this size I would think they would have a van to help get guest to nearby attractions and restaurants unless they do not want you to leave there property. We were told they could call a taxi which they did and we paid the fare to and from the hotel. They do not exceed my expecations or even meet them.

The next morning we woke to get ready for the remaining 82 mile bike ride. We wanted to have coffe while we got dressed only to find the Keurig coffee maker would not brew. The power light came on, but it would not brew. No, we did not call the front desk on this either because we were in a hurry and by now were just wanting to leave. On the way out, my wife stopped and mentioned to the front desk about the coffe maker. An apology was given and we were directed to the Satrbucks around the corner from the front desk to purchase our own coffee instead of offering us coffee elsewhere that was complimentary since it was with the room had the Keurig worked.

We really want to like this place, but can't. I won a free night stay coupon and passes to attractions at the property that are good for a year due to my fundraisng efforts and we have a part of us that do not want to go back even if it's free. We want to have a good experience here without any issues and enjoy the whole stay, but are gunshy.

We travel alot and have stayed in other resort hotels and other hotels of varying levels of service and this is the only one that continues to disappoint us.

The bed was extremely comfortable even after the long ride that day.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mccrazyone
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Dear mccrazyone,

Thank you for your review. I appreciated your comments both good and bad and, for those areas where we fell short, please accept my most sincere apologies. We are currently renovating the guest rooms and one of the check list items for each guest room when it is renovated is to do a full clearing of all sink and tub drains. Hotels have a unique set of plumbing issues and keeping drain lines clear is a continual task. While I can understand your frustration with our shuttles, a restaurant shuttle service is not a normal part of our services and we are happy to do so when we can.

We do want to win back your trust and would love to have you back. I understand your feeling “moody” and I would love to get you out of that mood. Please do not hesitate to call or email me personally.

Garvin O'Neil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Thai first
Edmond, United States
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We stayed here as part of one of the packages for cruise parking. The room was nice and the staff at the hotel was friendly. Getting to the cruise terminal was no problem; everyone from the hotel was put onto 2 buses and our driver instructed us what to do upon return. When we got back the following week we had to wait an hour at the cruise terminal for more transportation. There were 2 buses boarding when we walked out, but they were already full. This surprised us since it only took 2 buses to get us there. When a van finally arrived that is when we found out that Moody Gardens also provides transportation for The Inn and the Waterpark (a motel nearby). The driver said, "oh you're my VIP's." Oh really? Then why did we have to wait an hour and then we were dropped off at Moody Gardens AFTER all of the other people in the van were taken to the motel. If you want to provide transportation for a nearby motel, fine. BUT, you should really have dedicated transportation for your hotel guests and the people who stayed at the motel (and probably paid a fraction of what the Moody Gardens room cost) can wait at the terminal!
I would have rated this hotel much higher if I had not had such an awful experience with the crusie parking. Another couple ended up taking a cab because they were tired of waiting for transportation from the terminal.
If you're just going to stay at the hotel then you'll probably have no issues.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle P
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear MichelleP

Thank you for bringing to my attention the issues you had with the cruise transportation and our service. You certainly deserved better and please accept my sincere apologies for keeping you waiting like we did. We normally perform these services much more efficiently and I agree with you that our hotel guests should always get preferential treatment when it comes to pick-ups and drop-offs at the cruise terminal. I have shared your feedback with our guest services department and we believe we identified what went wrong that weekend and are confident going forward.

houston
Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

We just got back from an overnight stay at Moody Gardens hotel - our first time there. We were amazed by the size and very attractive decor of the rooms. So nice they come equipped with Keurig coffee makers! Also great is the pool and attached hot tub- beautiful and relaxing. We had drinks in the bar where we enjoyed the big screen and comfy chairs and joined friends for a delicious dinner in the hotel restaurant. Service was always with a smile. We will definitely return to this Galveston Island wonderland!

• Stayed October 2013
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Dear cowboymomhouston,

Thank you so much for staying with us and sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to read that Moody Gardens and our staff were able to exceed your expectations. It’s great to hear that you enjoyed the size and décor in our newly renovated rooms. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This was our third time to stay here in the last few years. This is a quality facility with lots of activity on the property. We were part of a private group that provided food etc. so I can not comment on the restaurants but the Bar is good with a nice atmosphere.
Rooms have been refurbished in the last year or so and were very nice as well as very clean.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear CareyJS ,

Thank you for the wonderful review! I am so glad you enjoyed your stay and the activities available while staying at Moody Gardens. I hope you'll choose Moody Gardens the next time you want to get away for fun and relaxation. Keep us in mind this holiday season, when our annual Festival of Lights transforms Moody Gardens into a winter wonderland. In addition to the Festival of Lights, our Kid’s Crew has great Santa’s Workshop activities planned during the holidays. We appreciate your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Hubby & I stayed the night after attending an event here. It was our 2nd visit (4-5 yrs ago) and wow, they have really "upped their game"! Service was much crisper, banquet food was EXCELLENT (you don't hear that often), spacious rooms have been redone in calmer tones & comfortable furniture added. Just overall felt like a higher-end experience -- and the price was 1/2 of what it would have been at another hotel. Bravo!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank writergirlHouston
Dear writergirlHouston,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Moody Gardens on Tripadvisor. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms. It’s also great to hear that you enjoyed our banquet service and food. While it’s great to hear from all of our guests, it really feels great to get feedback from returning guests on the newly renovated rooms, I have passed your feedback on to everyone here at Moody Gardens. We appreciate your kind words and feedback. If you get a chance to return to Galveston we would be honored to welcome you back to Moody Gardens.

Tyler, Texas
Reviewed October 9, 2013

I recently stayed at Moody Gardens for a conference. The hotel and grounds are absolutely beautiful! The room was very nice - updated decor and very spacious. We had a beautiful view of the pool and the pyramids and the bed was awesome! Now, for the down side - it's a huge hotel and the layout is extremely confusing. You have main elevators, parking garage elevators and "North Tower" elevators and the corridors do a lot of twisting and turning. We got lost a couple of times and when we stopped an employee and asked for directions, they didn't speak English. That happened with three different employees. Once with housekeeping, once with a staff member working in the conference area and once with a waiter. We walked over to the pyramids and attractions and were told there was a "tram" that would take us around so we could see all the sights. There are posted tram stops on the maps they give out in the visitors center. We never saw a tram and we were there for over two hours. We saw the tram stop huts and benches, but no trams. So, beautiful facilities, but not so great on the "customer service" aspect. I realize that summer is over, but all the attractions were open and they were certainly charging for them and no one could tell us why there were no trams.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank txbatgirl
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear txbatgirl ,

Thank you for your very informative feedback. I was pleased to read about the guest room and the grounds but was disappointed to read of the difficulty navigating your way around the hotel and shuttling between the hotel and the attractions. We are in the final stages of our $20 million dollar renovation of the hotel. Way-finding on the property is one area where we know we have some work to do. We have retained a sign consultant who has worked with us to do all new directional signage to make things easier to find. I have reviewed the plans and they are a great improvement. We should have them all installed by the first of 2014. In reference to the lack of tram service, I must apologize for your waiting for one. In the off season, hotel guests can call for a pick up anywhere on the Moody Gardens complex and be picked up with our hotel shuttle. It appears that many of our attractions personnel are not aware of this off season service and I will personally see that all associates are knowledgeable with this change. Thank you again for the very constructive feedback and we look forward to having you back here at Moody Gardens in the not too distant future.

Galveston, Texas
Reviewed October 9, 2013

This is a great place to learn about nature, especially when you are going with your kids. My little boy was so excited and curious about the animals, insects and plants in the pyramid. We had a great time there.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear wenzhe,

I am pleased to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens. Please keep us in mind for the holidays when Moody Gardens is transformed into a winter wonderland with our annual Festival of Lights. Thanks for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor and we look forward to welcoming your family back soon.