“Great getaway for weekend”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“Great getaway for weekend”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Had the Festival of Lights package with breakfast included and Festival of Lights included.Very nice to stay near moody garden locations with kids. Festive atmosphere during the holidays. Rooms clean and great service .

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Jayarx
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We are so pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay at Moody Gardens and our Festival of Lights. This summer we have our Bands In The Sand Summer Concert series at Palm Beach every Friday and Saturday nights beginning June 8th through August 10. It is a great way to enjoy a summer weekend get away. Thank you for choosing Moody Gardens as your place to stay in Galveston, we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Thai first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel and newly renovated rooms are superior. The staff is very pleasant but not well informed. They couldn't handle simple questions or requests. We wanted to find out if they had ESPN2 so we could watch the LSU baseball game. It was on the channel list but not coming on. They spoke to us twice but just never called back with an answer. It took us an hour to get linens for the pull out bed. They first brought a rollaway and then two fitted sheets. We gave up and used the 2 fitted sheets. There were a few valets and bellman but you had to load and pack your own luggage by getting a cart. The cafe breakfast was excellent. Overall, the services were lacking from what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. The renovation is excellent and we love moody gardens and Galveston. We hope they can inform and train the staff to meet the quality of the facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn G
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We appreciate your feedback from your stay with us in May. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and that breakfast at the Terrace was excellent. I am disappointed however with the service lapses you experienced. I can see how this incident impacted your impression of Moody Gardens Hotel. Please know that I have reviewed this with our Housekeeping and Front Desk Managers so they can address your concerns with their employees. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. Again, we appreciate your concerns and we hope you will give us another chance in the not too distant future.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend, May 24-25. This was our second time staying at this hotel. The landscaping is beautiful and it is convenient to just walk to the attractions. Last time we came was almost 2 years ago and we found a dock behind Palm Beach and took our boys fishing. We assumed it was ok because we had done it before to do it again this time. Saturday morning we went out to the dock and let the boys fish with their spiderman poles. We had a nice lady come over from one of the boats that was docked there to talk to us. She told us that the apartments across the canal were low income housing. (Not sure where that came from but ok.)Then she proceeded to tell us that employees from the hotel had come by to ask them if we were with them. She said she told them no, but to just let us stay we were not hurting anything. I got the feeling she thought we lived across the canal and came over to fish, it was very awkward. I wish the employees had come to us and asked if we were with the hotel and if we were not suppose to be there nicely inform us. We were not there long and then were headed to Palm Beach. As we are walking on the path one of the employees, an older white female comes along in a golf cart and stops beside us. She asks in a rude tone of voice, "Where are you going?" Before my husband could answer I asked "why?" She looked at us and said again in a rude tone, "Well you look lost!" and proceeded to drive off. It was hateful, rude, and embarrassing. If she really thought we were lost she would've asked if she could help us instead. In my mind all I could think was that your employees thought we had come over from governmental housing to fish off of your dock!!! My boys were wearing souvenir Galveston Island t-shirts for Petes sake!!! I have never felt so uncomfortable!!! Thank God the rest of our trip was enjoyable!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christina S
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about the circumstances involving your stay with us in May. While I was please to read your visit was enjoyable, I was disappointed to read about the incident regarding the marina pier and one of our associates. There is never any excuse for rude behavior and, on behalf of all of the staff at Moody Gardens, I apologize for the unprofessional way this manner was handled. Please know that the Marina and dock are for the use of Marina guests only and the associate should have communicated with you in a much more guest-centered fashion. We appreciate your feedback and be assured that I have addressed the situation with our associates so that we can prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. It is our overriding goal at Moody Gardens to provide the best in accommodations and hospitality in Galveston and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back soon. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We placed a reservation to this hotel the same day that we would be checking in but my mother with Alzheimer's got sick and we had to cancel it less than an hour after reserving. We explained the situation to the hotel, but it wasn't enough of an explanation. They have no mercy or humanity and are charging us an entire night even though we just made the reservation less than an hour ago. We haven't even left the house or even checked in. Now we have to pay 500 dollars for two rooms that we didn't even get to see, much less stay in. This is in addition to the hospital charges that we'll have to pay. My family and I wanted to explore this four star hotel because we heard of its prestige and this is the treatment we get without even being there? Completely heartless, stone cold people. This was over before it even started. Now we know not to EVER go to this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Francesca13_13
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience with canceling your reservations to my attention. I am sorry to hear about your mother’s illness and sincerely hope she is feeling better. I understand the frustration of not being able to cancel your reservations without a penalty because our 48 hour cancelation policy has expired. After further investigation I believe you made your reservations through Expedia.com, because this is a 3rd party transaction and you paid Expedia, we are unable to refund the money you paid to Expedia. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service, hospitality and accommodations. If you had made the reservation through the hotel directly we would have been more than happy to assist with moving the reservation to a future date.
Singapore
Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for business in May 2013. Rooms where very clean and confortable. Breakfast ok , no buffet i guess due to the number of guest. I did not tried other food. My company organize an event in the hotel and all was fantastic, snacks and services. Great location for company events.

Stayed May 2013
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you very much for being our guest and for your comments about being a nice facility and meeting the needs of conventions or business meetings. Next time you stay with us, be sure to try Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks. Shearn’s is one of only 11 Houston/Galveston area restaurants to receive AAA’s Four Diamond Award of Excellence and has done so each year since 2004. Located on the ninth floor, Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is Galveston's finest restaurant unsurpassed both in cuisine and service with an upscale ambiance. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Moody Gardens Hotel. We couldn't be happier with our stay. The employees aim to please and they really seem to enjoy their job. It made the stay even more enjoyable for us. Our room had a nice view of the bay. Dining at the hotel was a positive experience. Make sure you book a reservation to dine at Shearn's on the 9th floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am pleased to hear you found our associates pleasant and helpful. Shearn’s has an amazing view and the best steaks on the Island. We do everything we can to accommodate our guests and will pass along your nice comments to our staff. The next time you come to the island please keep Moody Gardens in mind. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed May 20, 2013

In march of 2013 my family came to stay at Moody Gardens. It started out fine... but like everything else - the test always comes when things do not run smoothly. I had my work laptop with me when we arrived. The laptop was stolen out of our room. The hotel staff did not take any steps to rectify this situation at all. We had to bring the police out to location. Ask the hotel to do SOMETHING to try to find the work laptop. There was one apology from a service person but we were treated like lepers by the rest of staff. As if we had asked for some one to walk into our hotel room and steal the laptop. The Galveston police were helpful and gave us updates. While the hotel refused to return calls, or update us in anyway! My family and I have been going to Moody Gardens for nearly 10 years. The kids grew used to our family vacations there. We will NEVER be back. The date now is May 20th... and I have called yet again. Voicemail... not a response. I suppose the Hotel doesn't think customer service matters. Do not count on the staff or management if anything goes wrong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank SaiMcg
Thank you for your feedback regarding your March visit and letting us know about the missing laptop. After reading your comments it is apparent that your concerns were not handled in a professional manner and, on behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies. Our hotel is fortunate to have an employee pool that has been her many years and are loyal and trustworthy. In incidents such as yours, we fully investigate the circumstances, interview all associates who have access to the room and, if we uncover inappropriate activity, we take immediate action to ensure it is not repeated. Thankfully, these type of incidences are very rare here at Moody Gardens. In your situation, we were not able to find the laptop and I can understand your disappointment in us, especially given our inappropriate response to your concern.

Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty to Moody Gardens over these many years. While I can understand that this incident has impacted your feelings toward us, please know that I would welcome the opportunity to win back your trust. Please feel free to contact us at any time and please ask for me personally. Thank you. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager