New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Great facility, moderate service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

The hotel and newly renovated rooms are superior. The staff is very pleasant but not well informed. They couldn't handle simple questions or requests. We wanted to find out if they had ESPN2 so we could watch the LSU baseball game. It was on the channel list but not coming on. They spoke to us twice but just never called back with an answer. It took us an hour to get linens for the pull out bed. They first brought a rollaway and then two fitted sheets. We gave up and used the 2 fitted sheets. There were a few valets and bellman but you had to load and pack your own luggage by getting a cart. The cafe breakfast was excellent. Overall, the services were lacking from what you would expect from a hotel of this caliber. The renovation is excellent and we love moody gardens and Galveston. We hope they can inform and train the staff to meet the quality of the facilities.

Room Tip: Ask for the newly renovated rooms.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Dawn G
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
We appreciate your feedback from your stay with us in May. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our newly renovated rooms and that breakfast at the Terrace was excellent. I am disappointed however with the service lapses you experienced. I can see how this incident impacted your impression of Moody Gardens Hotel. Please know that I have reviewed this with our Housekeeping and Front Desk Managers so they can address your concerns with their employees. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. Again, we appreciate your concerns and we hope you will give us another chance in the not too distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
  • Thai first
Dallas, Texas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed here this past weekend, May 24-25. This was our second time staying at this hotel. The landscaping is beautiful and it is convenient to just walk to the attractions. Last time we came was almost 2 years ago and we found a dock behind Palm Beach and took our boys fishing. We assumed it was ok because we had done it before to do it again this time. Saturday morning we went out to the dock and let the boys fish with their spiderman poles. We had a nice lady come over from one of the boats that was docked there to talk to us. She told us that the apartments across the canal were low income housing. (Not sure where that came from but ok.)Then she proceeded to tell us that employees from the hotel had come by to ask them if we were with them. She said she told them no, but to just let us stay we were not hurting anything. I got the feeling she thought we lived across the canal and came over to fish, it was very awkward. I wish the employees had come to us and asked if we were with the hotel and if we were not suppose to be there nicely inform us. We were not there long and then were headed to Palm Beach. As we are walking on the path one of the employees, an older white female comes along in a golf cart and stops beside us. She asks in a rude tone of voice, "Where are you going?" Before my husband could answer I asked "why?" She looked at us and said again in a rude tone, "Well you look lost!" and proceeded to drive off. It was hateful, rude, and embarrassing. If she really thought we were lost she would've asked if she could help us instead. In my mind all I could think was that your employees thought we had come over from governmental housing to fish off of your dock!!! My boys were wearing souvenir Galveston Island t-shirts for Petes sake!!! I have never felt so uncomfortable!!! Thank God the rest of our trip was enjoyable!!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Christina S
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 5, 2013
Thank you for letting us know about the circumstances involving your stay with us in May. While I was please to read your visit was enjoyable, I was disappointed to read about the incident regarding the marina pier and one of our associates. There is never any excuse for rude behavior and, on behalf of all of the staff at Moody Gardens, I apologize for the unprofessional way this manner was handled. Please know that the Marina and dock are for the use of Marina guests only and the associate should have communicated with you in a much more guest-centered fashion. We appreciate your feedback and be assured that I have addressed the situation with our associates so that we can prevent similar occurrences from happening in the future. It is our overriding goal at Moody Gardens to provide the best in accommodations and hospitality in Galveston and we hope you will give us another opportunity to welcome you back soon. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager
Austin, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013

We placed a reservation to this hotel the same day that we would be checking in but my mother with Alzheimer's got sick and we had to cancel it less than an hour after reserving. We explained the situation to the hotel, but it wasn't enough of an explanation. They have no mercy or humanity and are charging us an entire night even though we just made the reservation less than an hour ago. We haven't even left the house or even checked in. Now we have to pay 500 dollars for two rooms that we didn't even get to see, much less stay in. This is in addition to the hospital charges that we'll have to pay. My family and I wanted to explore this four star hotel because we heard of its prestige and this is the treatment we get without even being there? Completely heartless, stone cold people. This was over before it even started. Now we know not to EVER go to this hotel.

Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
12 Thank Francesca13_13
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to bring your experience with canceling your reservations to my attention. I am sorry to hear about your mother’s illness and sincerely hope she is feeling better. I understand the frustration of not being able to cancel your reservations without a penalty because our 48 hour cancelation policy has expired. After further investigation I believe you made your reservations through Expedia.com, because this is a 3rd party transaction and you paid Expedia, we are unable to refund the money you paid to Expedia. It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service, hospitality and accommodations. If you had made the reservation through the hotel directly we would have been more than happy to assist with moving the reservation to a future date.
Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for business in May 2013. Rooms where very clean and confortable. Breakfast ok , no buffet i guess due to the number of guest. I did not tried other food. My company organize an event in the hotel and all was fantastic, snacks and services. Great location for company events.

Stayed May 2013
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Thank you very much for being our guest and for your comments about being a nice facility and meeting the needs of conventions or business meetings. Next time you stay with us, be sure to try Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks. Shearn’s is one of only 11 Houston/Galveston area restaurants to receive AAA’s Four Diamond Award of Excellence and has done so each year since 2004. Located on the ninth floor, Shearn's Seafood and Prime Steaks is Galveston's finest restaurant unsurpassed both in cuisine and service with an upscale ambiance. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I spent a long weekend at the Moody Gardens Hotel. We couldn't be happier with our stay. The employees aim to please and they really seem to enjoy their job. It made the stay even more enjoyable for us. Our room had a nice view of the bay. Dining at the hotel was a positive experience. Make sure you book a reservation to dine at Shearn's on the 9th floor.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thank you for leaving feedback on your recent stay at Moody Gardens. I am pleased to hear you found our associates pleasant and helpful. Shearn’s has an amazing view and the best steaks on the Island. We do everything we can to accommodate our guests and will pass along your nice comments to our staff. The next time you come to the island please keep Moody Gardens in mind. We look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Dallas, Texas
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

In march of 2013 my family came to stay at Moody Gardens. It started out fine... but like everything else - the test always comes when things do not run smoothly. I had my work laptop with me when we arrived. The laptop was stolen out of our room. The hotel staff did not take any steps to rectify this situation at all. We had to bring the police out to location. Ask the hotel to do SOMETHING to try to find the work laptop. There was one apology from a service person but we were treated like lepers by the rest of staff. As if we had asked for some one to walk into our hotel room and steal the laptop. The Galveston police were helpful and gave us updates. While the hotel refused to return calls, or update us in anyway! My family and I have been going to Moody Gardens for nearly 10 years. The kids grew used to our family vacations there. We will NEVER be back. The date now is May 20th... and I have called yet again. Voicemail... not a response. I suppose the Hotel doesn't think customer service matters. Do not count on the staff or management if anything goes wrong.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
3 Thank SaiMcg
MoodyGardensHotel, General Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding your March visit and letting us know about the missing laptop. After reading your comments it is apparent that your concerns were not handled in a professional manner and, on behalf of all of us here at Moody Gardens, please accept my most sincere apologies. Our hotel is fortunate to have an employee pool that has been her many years and are loyal and trustworthy. In incidents such as yours, we fully investigate the circumstances, interview all associates who have access to the room and, if we uncover inappropriate activity, we take immediate action to ensure it is not repeated. Thankfully, these type of incidences are very rare here at Moody Gardens. In your situation, we were not able to find the laptop and I can understand your disappointment in us, especially given our inappropriate response to your concern.

Please know how much we appreciate your loyalty to Moody Gardens over these many years. While I can understand that this incident has impacted your feelings toward us, please know that I would welcome the opportunity to win back your trust. Please feel free to contact us at any time and please ask for me personally. Thank you. Garvin O’Neil, General Manager
Dallas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

This is one of those times when you think about visit and realize as much as you try it really was the euphoria that was clouding you. Our reason for staying at Moody Gardens was due to the IronMan last month which took place on April 7th.

Neither my husband nor I ever been to Galveston before, so we booked our trip April 5th and then added a extra days and extended it through Wed the 10th. When we arrived to the hotel of course there were a lot of athletes who had arrived, were arriving and another conference taking place. Our first impressions of the hotel were wonderful the vibe. Especially the drive up.

The computer system which handles the access cards went down, it happen right when we were at the front desk and we had to wait more than 10 minutes, however the clerk was *very* professional apologizing and honestly there was nothing she could do. Honestly, we felt so badly for her because it *was the worse timing* not that there is perfect because it was like a bus load of people were coming in at that time. IronMan people and another conference...nightmare for them but they all handle it amazingly!

Later that once settled we attempted to eat in the dinning room down stairs...the hostess walked us through the direst part of the restaurant which was empty (she could have taken us another way as a hostess should) and attempted to sit us next to dirty dishes in a dark corner. We had to ask her to move us away from the dirty dishes and near a window. We were sitting down in the dinning room with one other couple were currently eating, for over 9 minutes with people talking all around us about there checks but no one came to bring us water, etc. This was shortly after 6:00 pm SO it was not like they had a rush of people. We walked out. Because IronMan people have to wear bands..they have to see those they know that is why we are in the hotel, did we get ignored for that reason? But we did tell them that is why we left no one came to take our order for 9 minutes and we looked at the hostess plus we saw them going outside to take orders..

Now the next horrible thing I witness...after the race we were with several other athletes at the bar and the bartender was making a mix drink that required a banana to be put into it and he took a bite out of it and then put into the blender! Not once did he take a bite but several times!!! The other wait staff watched and laughed as he shrug his shoulders like "SO what!" I was mortified! Good thing we were all drinking beers.

Originally we had reservations for the steak place in the hotel as my birthday was the 8th but we canceled our reservations, after the dinning experience in the hotel and seeing what we did at the bar. Even though the reviews on-line were favorable. We honestly didn't want to chance it and have a bad experience.

However....the cleaning staff was amazing and took so much pride in their work. As I mentioned we were there from from April 5-10th. Each day the cleaning staff took incredible care of our room and items even leaving extra shampoos, coffees, etc which we didn't ask for. They laid our out items neatly in our bathroom, etc. Not once were we concern with our items from the cameras to bikes. Needless to say we left them a nice tip.

We did order room service a couple of times and gosh I think management had the same guy doing the whole hotel. The kid was nice BUT the night of the IronMan when you couldn't get through to room service may not be so wise. But again...he was another good customer service person but think that one through for next year.

All in all ... as I reflect back on it was an average stay that I wanted to give it a higher rating if it weren't for those few hiccups of the few people who didn't seem to care. Average because the Starbucks had good coffee, the feel when you first walk in is typical, our few of the bay/pool was nice. The cleaning staff WERE ROCK STARS!!! The Room Service guy we liked. You may want to revisit that dinning room staff along with bar staff.

Room Tip: The beds are comfortable and they provide extra pillows but you can hear your neighbor. We almost ha...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Furboyz
Thank you for bringing to my attention the circumstances regarding your stay with us. We host the Ironman each year and really enjoy seeing all the athletes competing and appreciate choosing us year over year to stay here.

It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. There was no valid excuse for our lack of professionalism concerning the associate making the drink in the bar. We take your comments seriously and conducted an investigation concerning this. We discovered the associate was making himself a protein shake and his employment has been terminated. Our associates are here to service the guests and to go above and beyond to ensure you leave with positive memories.

I was pleased to read how our housekeeping associates were amazing! It is always nice when housekeeping goes the extra mile and recognizes when you need extra shampoo etc.. We are very fortunate to have such a great staff that truly cares about our guests. We hope to see you again for the next Iron Man and wish you luck in your future races!!