“It was ok.” 4 of 5 stars

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“It was ok.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

When we showed up there was chaos in the line inside as well as outside in the vehicle line. There were a lot of people in line but only 3-4 people working to help them. I also heard 2-3 say they had been in the line more than once due to issues the first time they were in line. Although I had emailed the hotel about seeing the lights on 2 separate occasions, I never received a email response back. When I asked about them, they told me there was a package deal that included it and breakfast and a couple of. Other things BUT they couldn't process it that day, they could have done it the week prior but not that day because I had bought my reservation through Expedia. When I asked about buying the tickets to see the Christmas lights, they said they couldn't sell them to me, I would have to go to a separate location to buy them, it wasn't close enough to walk, I would have to drive. Did that, then tried to park in their garage, it was full, as it was the entire weekend. The room was nice, the view was good, service was great even though they brought the strawberries at like 5 instead of 8. (It was our anniversary.) the lady in the gift shop is extremely nice! She made the trip more tolerable in a lot of aspects. We did have a nice trip and anything that we didn't like we just rolled with the punches. We would do it again just maybe be a little more aggressive on return emails and checking for better deals that may come up prior to our arrival to the hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Michael F
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, December 31, 2012
Dear Michael F,
Thank you for your thorough and honest review. We apologize for what appears to be misunderstanding on our part on several occassions. I am pleased your room was nice, the view was good, and the service was great. I am glad to read you would do it again. I look forward to welcoming you personally during your next visit.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Thai first
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Our small family did an overnight Thanksgiving getaway and everything was perfect. The room was updated: Kuerig coffee maker, great beds, pillows and decor. We had the package with the Festival of Lights and our room overlooked the wonderful lights which made it even more special.
We also purchased the Thanksgiving buffet. I wasn't expecting much from hotel food but it was spectacular! My son was crazy for the heated pool and all the nice families celebrating the same way we did.And all the staff was helpful and friendly. I would recommend it to everyone.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank planvacations4me2
Dear planvacations4me2 - Houston,
Thank you for staying with us during Thanksgiving weekend. I am pleased you found everything to be perfect. Our Chef does display an amazing Thanksgiving buffet that is enjoyed by all. We appreciate your review and look forward to serving you again soon.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

The hotel is set in beautiful gardens on the lagoon side of Galveston (not my favorite tourist destination). It is somewhat set back from the esplanade so a car is advisable if you want to see the town. The grounds contain several attractions (IMAX, Rain Forest etc) making it a good getaway for families. The decor seems a little dated now - I was somewhat overwhelmed by all the pink and teal! The staff were welcoming and very helpful but I found it a little difficult to navigate around the many corridors as the rooms are widely distributed. It is clear that there have been updates to the spacious rooms, but they still have an 80-90s feel, and there was some wear and tear - although minor. The bed was comfortable, but I should have preferred less resilient pillows. The air conditioning was excellent and quiet. There was a Keurig coffee maker in the bathroom along with higher-end amenities.
The food is generally good and reasonably priced. In the off season there can be a number of meetings and conventions, but the resort is large enough to cope with them.
If you want the best you will want to wait until there has been some additional updating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Adrian G
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank You for feedback regarding your recent stay with us! It is our overriding goal here at Moody Gardens to provide the best in service and accommodations. I was pleased to read that our staff was welcoming. We recently began our multi-million dollar renovation to all guest rooms which will greatly improve the overall impression of the rooms and amenities we offer. As you mentioned the color needed to be updated throughout the guest rooms. On your next visit, I am sure you will notice some great changes. Your comments have been very helpful and are greatly appreciated.
Houston
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

I had a recent business/conference stay at Moody Gardens. This is a really nice location with a lot of amenities. For a location not billed as a 'resort' it has everything you could want on site, or very close by. I suggest looking at the website for more complete details. However, there's something for everyone from spas, to pools (indoor and outdoor), exhibits, watermarks and an aviation museum close by.

Conference facilities were more than adequate and the staff was very attentive. This is a place you can bring your family on business and not worry about them having to travel far to do anything.

Room Tip: Ask for a Pyramid facing room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
PatrickRoomsManager, Manager at Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear Sota701
I am pleased you found Moody Gardens to be an excellent stay for business or leisure. Thank you for your comments regarding something for everyone - from the spa, to our pools, attractions and close by amenities. We appreciate you choosing to stay at Moody Gardens Hotel. We look forward to serving you again soon.
Houston
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed at Moody Gardens again for Lone Star Rally. We stay every year. In the past, Moody Gardens rolled out the red carpet for Bikers during Lone Star Rally. Bikes were encouraged to line the driveway, pins and local information were provided upon check-in and friendly faces and exceptional care were the norm. We rebooked for the same room we had in the past that overlooked the pool(King). I made the reservations a year in advance. Confirmed two weeks out and upon our arrival, sprinklers were watering the bikes along the drive and the floor our room was on was under construction. We accepted a double Queen a floor up as we wanted to get into the room to move on to the rally. No pins and no welcome material. I stressed that the sprinklers on the bikes were an issue. We were comped a breakfast to make up for the issues. When we got to our room, it was not as clean as MG rooms in the past (baseboards and bathroom - and carpet seemed heavily worn) The fridge was frozen up. We left the fridge open when we took off and dealt with the other annoying issues. TV remote worked if you are 5" from the TV. Room was adjacent to the construction area. As noted, no bathroom exhaust fan. Dirty windows and floors, chipped tub. While we will return, the quality was not the level it was in the past.

Room Tip: overlook the pool if the weather is nice
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank mikesth
Lone Star Rally is a great event for the island and we are always pleased to see the bikers return each year. I apologize for the sprinklers being on in the beginning on your stay. Once it was brought to our attention we did make sure they were turned off for the future. There was no valid excuse for our lack oversight to this, next year we will ensure this does not occur again. I was pleased to read that our staff recognized this error and provided you breakfast vouchers. We have started our renovation of the hotel and upon your next visit you will see the new look and feel of the hotel. We look forward to seeing you next year for Lone Star Rally.
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We booked a package at the resort over the holiday season last year, and thoroughly enjoyed the resort, spa and the attractions nearby.
Other than the Christmas show at the hotel that was professional and well executed by a local acting troupe; we saw the Christmas lights in Moody gardens; the Rainforest pyramid, the aquarium and the 3D theatres.
We also visited Moddy house in Galveston and the Oil rig museum. We noted the aircraft museum and Bishops Palace for another trip.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank WorldlywiseDD
I am happy to hear you enjoyed your visit with us. We have so many wonderful things happening again this year. This year we have a new Christmas Show and partnered with Curt Miller for an amazing magic show. I am sure you will enjoy it. We hope to see you again soon!
Green Cove Springs, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

Beautiful property. Rooms were well appointed and comfy. Some wear and tear on the paint on walls and doors but they are beginning to refurbish the interior of all rooms! The bathroom had no exhaust fan so it would get steamy. The pillows were not down/feathers, simply overstuffed poly-filled which gives me a neck ache. My hope is they upgrade these to ones from "Pacific Coast Feather Company" like other finer hotels. Bed was very comfortable. We extended our stay and the staff was very accommodating and allowed us to keep the same group rate we had. Beautiful pool and swim up bar. The swim up bar was only opened on weekends. Free wi-fi in lobby but not in pool area which was disappointing. Maid service come too early one morning so we asked her to not enter room. She never returned again. So if you sleep in past 9 a.m., make sure you request maid service after that time the night before :) Our view overlooked the pyramids and ocean....beautiful! We had a Kruger coffee pot in room which was tasty! Starbucks is located in lobby! We will stay there again after renovations!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars
We have had some great feedback on the Kruger coffee pots in the room. It makes the perfect amount of coffee! Starbucks was a new addition last year and everyone is really enjoying the offerings too. I appreciate the information on the pillows and will defiantly look into the company you mentioned. Also, I did share your comments with the Director of Housekeeping concerning the maid service and apologize for the frustration this caused. Your comments have been very helpful and we look forward to welcoming you back soon!