“Doesn't make me Moody”

Moody Gardens Hotel Spa & Convention Center
Ranked #2 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed November 24, 2007

My family and I love Moody Gardens Hotel and the attractions. We go and stay at Moody Gardens several times a year. The hotel is well managed, clean, and fun for the kids. On holidays, the hotel has special kid events included in the price of the hotel room. They typically have a face painter, balloon artisit, and a magician. The hotel always has a bouncy house and slide for the kids by the pool. The outdoor pool is great and they keep it heated during the cooler months. The food at the hotel restaurant and room service is very good. Across from the hotel are the attractions, a spash park, and another pool. Moody Gardens is a really fun hotel. No complaints about anything.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank mytwobuckaroos

Reviewed November 18, 2007

The hotel and the grounds are very pretty, but we were first given a room that was already occupied. When we opened the door, the people inside were quite angry, and we were not pleased either. We were given another room, but two floors lower. As someone said in another review, the walls are very thin, and we could hear giggling and talking from our noisy neighbors late into the night. The beds were also uncomfortable and left us with sore backs. On the up side, the room was clean and large, room service was very pleasant, and the food in the Shearns Restaurant on the top floor was terrific if expensive. While this is one of the most diverse, exciting and kid-friendly attractions in the Houston area, I'm not sure I'd go back again when the stranded, forlorn macaws in the rainforest pyramid look obviously mistreated, and the organization uses a huge amount of energy to bring a below-average Christmas lighting event. And this is supposed to be a group that's trying to protect nature?

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Darshan1
Reviewed October 27, 2007

We stayed in rooms on the 7th floor with a king bed in each of our two rooms. From the moment we pulled up to the door, the stay was perfect. The staff was always very nice and helpful. The atmosphere was beautiful (the turtles were adorable.) The rooms were bright and extremely clean. We have been coming to Galveston for years and have always encountered bugs where ever we've stayed because of the climate and closeness to the water. But Moody Gardens was the exception. Not a single bug anywhere, and everything was fresh, crisp, and clean. On my return visits to Galveston, I will only stay at the Moody Gardens. Even some of the nicer places you stay in Galveston can have water that is not filtered properly (tastes and even smells funny), but we were pleased to find the water was pure right out of the tap. The biggest surprise for me was that I could sleep through the night--something that never happens when I stay at hotels. The bed was very comfortable. Be sure to set the alarm clock because otherwise you will sleep in. The weather was perfect, too. Don't hesitate to vacation in Galveston in the off seasons because the weather and beaches are perfect this time of year. The humidity was so low I almost forgot we were near an ocean.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed October 8, 2007

I was staying there for 6 nights for a conference. It was a very nice hotel with excellent customer service. I'm pretty sure we got a discount on our room also. It was a very nice room with great view of the pyramids and pool. I was never in need an extra towel and things were very clean.
My only complaint is that I had no idea we were going to need a car. The shuttles weren't always available and they only took you downtown to the Strand. I was on a very tight budget which didn't work out with the cost of the hotels restaurants. There was no way to get to a fast food restaurant or nearby store. Once you're there, you're pretty much there without a car.
All in all it was a very positive visit, just expensive to eat there for 6 days.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2007

We overpaid for what should have been a 2 1/2 star hotel. The lobby looked nice, but the rooms were small and shabby. The pool was okay, but nothing near as nice as the picture made it look. If you want to stay in this specific area of Galveston, I recommend staying in a cheaper hotel because it's probably just as nice. Next time we go to Galveston, we're staying at the San Luis! (Same money, but it actually is a four star).

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank chyo_to
Reviewed August 27, 2007

My family and I went to Moody Gardens Hotel for a weekend away from Houston. I was pleasantly surprised, the room was very nice. Spacious, clean and bright and airy. We booked a Pyramid View, and were on the 4th floor. We had an excellent view of the Resort pool, which is beautiful, along with the Pyramids. Check in was a hassle, however, a new employee evidentially, not sure how to get us checked in and it took a few extra minutes. The complaints on the room were the bed was lumpy and squeaky when you got into it. The toilet did not flush well, which I noticed they are very green with reusing towels, etc., so toilet issue may be a conservation issue, but I still would rather have it flush properly. The pool had a very nice swim up bar, and at one end the pool is shallow, about 3.5 feet so my 2 and 4 year old were able to stand and have fun splashing around. Overall, I would recommend the hotel and would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed August 18, 2007

If you dont have kids, forget it. Romantic NOT! I flew in from Oklahoma for romantic weekend and thought I was at kiddieland convention. The view was weak, the amenities were sparse, and it just didnt have a WOW factor at all in the hotel. The lobby and check in area were blah, bar was nothing, and the room felt and looked like a $50 a night room. Yes, the grounds are nice, and the attractions are kool but I'd rather look over the ocean all day and drive a mile to attractions then actually stay on site. But hey, you cant please everybody and I was definately not pleased.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple