“Disappointed Not what I expected from a SPG property”

Four Points By Sheraton Galveston
Ranked #31 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
GreenLeadersSilver level
sfr1
“Disappointed Not what I expected from a SPG property”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2012

I cant even give it the neutral 3 stars rating for two reasons: the blood stain on the comforter, and the freaking noisy air conditioner. Air conditioning is a requirement in this climate, and it did blow cold which was great, but believe me when I say it is LOUD. (I am not a light sleeper, in fact I can sleep through anything, especially when tired from a long hot busy vaction day.). When its on I can get used to it but when it cuts on from being off (when on Auto) it really gives you a start (jump)  This motel quality Four Points is directly across from Paradise Pier and it is located in a very congested and busy part of the sea wall.  The room was clean, but the drops of blood were off putting as we're the
 partying people hanging about the parking lot areas (which are not welll lit). These people were "friendly" and acosting all females walking by that were not with a male.  The "pool" is TINY.   It's sad how many people litter and it reflects poorly on the hotel.  The staff were not welcoming at all nor attentive. I went down to buy a bottle of water (no vending machines, only ice on the floors) and the young man just kept reading the paper.  Our party had 2 rooms 314/312) and they were divided by the elevator. It would have been nicer if the front desk had told us that they were not directly side by side, but no biggie.   What did surprise me was how different the two rooms were (312 seemed much smaller and crowded). We will be checking out tomorrow, I hope the staff can redeem themselves with a smile!  I will not stay here again. In Nov 2011 we stayed at the Hilton and it was fabulous.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor at the front for a view of the water. Skip the "restaurant" and eat a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Maunak D, General Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thank you for your review. It's disappointing that your experience at our hotel was not satisfactory. It seems quite unusual that our Housekeeping team left a stained duvet to your room. I have shared your feedback with our team to make sure that they can better understand their responsibility for our guests. We do try our best, to place rooms side by side however sometimes we are unable to because other guests may not have checked out. Smiles are important and I'm sorry that our staff was not more responsive. We will do better next time. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me at the hotel.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Houston, Texas
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2012

I hardly ever write bad reviews. I try to always see the good stuff, and not sweat the bad stuff.
I checked in with my grandson , Thursday the 9th. We are currently still here , leaving Sunday AM.
My daughter and granddaughter joined us last night.
First the lobby and public areas , they were littered with spilled drinks, milkshakes, one spill looked like it may have been vomit.
Parking is tight in the well lit areas.
The pool is small and with 4-5 people in it seems crowded.
The location is very nice, right across the street is the beach, Pleasure Pier, and down the street about a hundred yards is Fish Tales Restaurant...there is a Wendys right next door.
There are two elevators , but one is out of service. If you ask the employees , you will get all sorts of answers as to how long it has been out of service. One guy told me a week. The problem is , the hotel has 118 rooms, with multiple people in each room, add to that housekeeping and maintenaince using the same elevator, enjoy the time you spend waiting for the elevator. Bring a book and a chair.

I could live with the elevator thing though as I am laid back.
What I cannot understand, is why , the maid kept banging on the door all morning. when I am trying to sleep in , I told her several times I am not ready to be cleaned, do us last. She actually tried to get the security bar to open with her fingers , so she could come in. Finally around 11 ish , I let her in , she starts cleaning the bathroom. I tell her I am going to lunch be back soon. I come back little over 3 hrs later , and walk in , the beds have not been changed or made, the floor has not been vacummed, there is trash in the cans, towels on the floor....Now with all that being said , I will say I am not one of those women who has to have her house looking like the pages of some magazine. I actually enjoy the lived in look. What really burns my a@@ is that this maid knocked on my door every 15 minutes and tried to open the door bar thing with her fingers. She said she was from China , so maybe that is how things are done there, but this is AMerica, if we have our lock on , it is not an invitation to open it.
They say this hotel is new , but it is not, the carpet is very old with stains all over it.
Avoid this place if you can , for the price I am paying I expected a little better , and this place has failed miserably.

1 Thank rummycakes
Dear Rummycakes,

Thank you for your review. We certainly apologize for the elevator issues you experienced and the difficulty with communicating with our housekeepers. The elevator is being repaired in an expedited manner by Otis Elevator to ensure it's proper operation and the safety of its passengers; however, it is has definitely taken longer than anyone had expected. We hope that your next stay with us will be better.

Travelers are raving about these Galveston hotels

El Paso, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great hotel and location (right across from decent family beach). We asked housekeeping to change the comforter because there was a blood stain. It was changed but housekeeping left the old comforter on the room floor. Also one morning housekeeping made one bed but left the other one untouched. A/C great but sounded like a mac truck was coming into the room. Despite this, I would return.

1 Thank Steve N
Dear Steve N,

Thank you for your review. We're very sorry about your housekeeping issue and have addressed it with our housekeepers to make sure that doesn't occur again. We look forward to you staying with us again.
Alto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2012

I booked Four Points through Priceline by bidding. I chose the area I wanted and the star rating. I thought by choosing a 3 star hotel on the seawall we would at least get a nice clean room with a view of the gulf. I don't know that any of the rooms have views of the gulf. The room was clean and the beds comfortable, but that's about as far as it goes. I was NOT impressed. We went down for breakfast the next morning and there was none. I don't remember the last time I stayed in a hotel where breakfast was not provided in some form. Don't expect it here, because there is none. Not a lot to say about this place except that I just wasn't impressed. Sorry, Sheraton.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kannb
Dear Kannb,

Thanks for your review. Our hotel has a restaurant where our cooks make your breakfast to order. It's open for breakfast and dinner. We do have ocean front rooms and many of our upper floor rooms have excellent views of the Gulf. There are additional fees for guaranteed views.
Louisville
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

First the good. Comfortable room and bedding. Greal location, close to nice attractions and restaurants. Ample parking.

Now the not so good.

The elevator was broke during our stay. I can understand not fixing it on Sunday, but Monday & Tuesday??? You mean to tell me there isn't an elevator mechanic in the Houston Metro area that they could call??? We used the stairs for our entire stay.

I was promised the "best available" rate at $169 a night. I happened to be checking in next to a guy just walking in off the street - they quoted him $149. Why did I have to convince the desk clerk to cancel my web reservation and give me the street rate. To me best available means just that.

And finally, they are understaffed in housekeeping. My room wasn't made up. I called the front desk, no big deal, they said they'd send someone up. We went out to dinner, came back and guess what, the room was still unmade. Called again, best they could do is another apology and a buy one get one drink coupon. Our room was completed at 10:45 PM.

This property is under the Sheraton family, but I get a sense that they aren't up to the quality of standards I've come to expect from other SPG properties. I'm an SPG frequent traveller, but I won't be staying here again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank gt2c
Thank you for your review. It's disappointing that your experience at our hotel was not up to par. The elevator is being repaired in an expedited manner by Otis Elevator to ensure it's proper operation and the safety of its passengers; however, it is has definitely taken longer than anyone had expected. We're sorry to lose your business and would appreciate a chance to re-earn it. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me at the hotel
Sulphur, Louisiana
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2012

We got a room at this hotel at the last minute for a weekend get away. For the $280 paid, it was lacking. There were a few positives. It was for the most part clean (a little sandy) and it is close to Pleasure Pier. The check-in was slow and understaffed. There was only one elevator for the 5 floors and it was slooooow. The cleaning staff used it as well; so if they got on with their cart you just had to wait for the next time. The other elevator was down for both days we were there. Hoping to get a little extra sleep was out of the question because the window did not have room darking shades. It only had a thin roman shade.
There was no literature anywhere in the hotel about where we could eat, find entertainment, or anything else. The front desk was too busy to help by giving that kind of information. We asked at the little bar inside the hotel but the bartenders were not from the area and could not help to even give directions to historic downtown.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SSC014
Maunak D, General Manager at Four Points By Sheraton Galveston, responded to this review, August 26, 2012
Dear SSCO14,

Thank you for your review. We apologize for the slow check in times, the hotel check in desk is limited to two workstations. Therefore when it's busy, you may have wait in line. We do have an electronic touchscreen attraction guide in our lobby family room, which does have area attractions and information.
St Louis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

We throughly enjoyed our stay. The beds were super comfy. The A/C was fantastic. The location is ideal for beach access and fun. Pleasure Pier is just across the street and great fun. Coffee in the morning is free. We did not eat at the restaurant, didn't look very promising. I was very pleased that I chose this for our hotel and will gladly return.

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a ocean view
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! We look forward to having you stay with us again.