“Beautiful Hotel”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed November 23, 2006

I was hesitant about the Hotel Galvez after seeing reviews on this site, but I really wanted to stay at this historic hotel so I booked it anyway. The location is great and the hotel is beautiful. It has a very pretty lobby and pool area. The restaurant did not have a very extensive menu so I ended up going to another restaurant for dinner. However, the bar area was nice. I was pleasantly surprised with the room. While small, it was comfortable and I had a great view of the gulf. The room was very tastefully decorated and the bathroom was clean and had all the needed amenities. I would definitely stay here again when visiting the area.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled solo
5  Thank PennyKY
There are newer reviews for Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Reviewed October 30, 2006

I was in meetings and was in the Music Room sitting all day. The air was blowing on me from the AC vent. I smelled a musty odor and continued to smell it all day. I began to get congested and by the time I left there at around 4:00 p.m. my head was completely congested. I became very ill and went to the doctor. He said I had bronchitis and was allergic to mold--the musty odor coming from the air conditioning vent. It was two weeks before I was over this. I missed five days of work and was very ill. I hope they clean the vents so no one else gets sick like I did.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank lindyb
Reviewed October 20, 2006

We stayed 2 days at the Galvez before our cruise. Let me just say that this hotel is beautiful. Very well maintained and if you want to be pampered this is the place to go!! We had booked 2 rooms and had requested that they be next to each other, with gulf view. Didn't expect gulf view since those rooms were more expensive. We had arrived at the hotel 2 hrs before check in and was told they would call us on my cell when the rooms were ready that way we could go ahead and leave and explore Galveston. Let me just note that there was always someone there to help with the luggage, open car doors, and the hotel doors ect. Staff was very friendly and willing to help. About 2 hrs later they called to tell me the room was ready. We returned to the hotel and was told we would have 2 city view rooms side by side. Upon checking in discovered we had been split up onto 2 different floors but before I could even say anything the front desk rep stepped in and fixed it. Not only fixed it but upgraded us to a gulf view!!! (for 1 room that ended up across the hall from the other room) Once in our room (there small but hey this is an old hotel) we were very happy view was beautiful (6th floor) and room was very nice. The bed was to die for the best sleep ever!! My best friend needed a fan to sleep at night called the front desk said they would send one up. They called back to say they had sent someone to Walmart to buy one and it would be up shortly, and at no cost to us!!! Unbelievable service!!! I was originally told that the roll away bed would be $10 nt charge at check in was told no charge. Also parking for the duration of the cruise was told $10, again no charge. We made good use of the pool bar and the Jacuzzi's were great!!! This hotel went
well beyond my expectations and we will be staying there again during our next cruise in 2007!!!!!!!

3  Thank enchantress1213
Reviewed October 10, 2006

My wife and I just got back today from our honeymoon stay at the Galvez, and I must say we were extremely disappointed. I will say some nice things about the Galvez first. As most reviewers say on here, the lobby was beautiful, and so was the pool. (Even though it was closed our entire stay) We had lunch in the restaurant and it was pricey, but the service was good and the food was excellent. The front desk also tried to accommodate our grievances as much as possible. Okay, that's about it.
9 times out of 10 we had to wait at least 10 minutes to get our car from valet. There was never anyone out there to get it. When the room is about the size of a walk-in closet, you want to get out as much as possible, so it would've been nice to get speedy service on that front. Getting frustrated, I was easily able to twice retrieve my own keys from the UNlocked valet box. Obviously, this is completely unacceptable. Other reviewers have commented on the musty smell, and I concur. However, it is an old hotel on the coast, so I'll try to give them a break on that. I should have told them about Fabreeze. Two nights in a row we had a strange occurance. The phone rang, we'd pick up, and nothing but dialtone. This happened two nights in a row, three times each night. The front desk said no one had called. Come to think of it, that was a pretty cool paranormal experience not many people get at this haunted hotel. When we first got there, the first room was one over-looking the ghetto of Galveston, roughly the size of most people's bathrooms, and when you flushed the toilet, the pipes would scream for 3 minutes. They did move us to one overlooking the gulf, and it was slightly bigger, but then we found that my wife couldn't take a bath because the drain plug was busted. They did fix that problem pretty promptly however. For just under $400 for 3 nights, we could have gone just about anywhere else on the island and got a much bigger room that smells nice, better valet service, and quite possibly a complimentary breakfast (or anything complimentary for that matter) and been able to stay longer! Needless to say, we will never stay at the Galvez again.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank HipPoet
Reviewed October 2, 2006

Great hotel, nice rooms, great restaurant although it was expensive.

Large, nice pool although it could have used a cleaning on one end. Pleasant, relaxing atmosphere

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rmillera1
Reviewed August 24, 2006

We just returned from a one-night stay in the Hotel Galvez. Overall I was very pleased with our stay. I booked through Hotwire and got a rate of $120 a night for 2 adults and 1 child. I was going on a short vacation with my mom who was visiting from out of town and my 2-year-old daughter. The hotel is very historic but well maintained. The staff is friendly and they allowed us to check in about 3 hours early. I asked for an upgraded room and they gave us an ocean view room on the 6th floor. The room was small but adequate for sleeping and getting dressed in the morning. We had a great time in the pool and hot tub. Also, there was a nice swim up bar. The day we left they let us check out late, which was great because we were having fun swimming. We were there on a Thursday night so the hotel didn’t seem busy. We didn’t eat in the hotel but the restaurant looked very nice. The only complaint that I had was that the shower didn’t get hot enough. The water wasn’t even lukewarm. We had a fun time and I am looking forward to taking my husband there for a romantic weekend one of these days.

2  Thank Texan_Family
Reviewed August 7, 2006

My family stayed here for 2 days before we left on our cruise. Compared to many of the surrounding hotels in Galveston, it is very well-maintained, clean, and overall a good value for the AAA rate that we paid. The hotel is a HISTORIC hotel so the rooms are going to be smaller than what some may be used to, but our family of 5 (2 adults, 3 kids) did NOT feel cramped at all. We had a great oceanview room on the 6th floor, a comfortable bed, a clean bathroom, and plenty of towels for swimming. The pool is clean and very well-maintained, as well. If you sign up for their FREE Wyndham By Request Membership on their website, you can request free wine/liquor/cola and snacks to be available on the day you arrive. Also, as a member, you get free Wi-Fi internet access (my husband loved it). We had our requested half-size bottle of Chardonnay, plate of fresh fruit (oranges, apples, strawberries), and 2 free bottled waters as part of the FREE membership. And, as a member, you get a 2pm checkout as opposed to the usual 12 pm. The beach is right across the street. The breakfast buffet had the standard breakfast food (sausages, pancakes, fruit, etc.) for an additional $12/person; kids under 5 are free. Finally, if you are going on a cruise, the shuttle to the pier is FREE. You can valet your car the night before for a $10 or self-park FREE in their gated (i.e. secured) parking garage. They start transporting cruisers at 11 am, and don't charge for extra passengers (beyond 2) as some other hotels do. Upon arrival from the cruise, you wait right in front of the port terminal (just outside customs--no need to walk out in the hot sun) and they'll pick you up and bring you back to the hotel. We only had to wait 5-10 minutes. We will definitely be coming back to this hotel on our next cruise.

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
7  Thank ChickensWife