“Not really our kind of hotel, but they take care of their customers”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Beaumont, TX
“Not really our kind of hotel, but they take care of their customers”
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Stayed last week in the middle of the week, just for a quick getaway and we got a deal on Orbitz. We figured to give it a try. Self parking was easy and free. Our a/c was out (only cooling to 78-80 degrees). Enigneering was up there in a hurry and did what they could around 9 pm at night. They also put a box fan in but this just managed to keep my one and a half year old up most of the night. Front desk would not or did not show much intrest in relocationg us. The next morning I went down to the lobby and E-mailed Jim the GM and within 5 minutes Michelle the manager was standing in fornt of me. She promptly took care of my room charge and offered anything else she could. Case and point for all those out there- before you write a review, give management a chance to fix it. I was happy with the results. This is a "historic" hotel, so be sure you understand the things that all come along with that- like smaller rooms. The pool area was nice and up against the San Luis, the breakfast buffet had them beat hands down. Again, my personal thanks to Jim and Michelle for trying to accomodate me in this unfortunate situation. Their attitude is what really sets them apart from the others in Galveston.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (522)
Stephenville, Texas
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Booked at the Harbour House - got there and they had overbooked so they put us up on the Galvez for free. What a deal! It is a beautiful location and I really enjoyed the accomodations. Beautiful room, gorgeous view, lovely facility, first class place! (Nice pool, too!)

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank lstew54
Houston, TX
Reviewed July 28, 2009

Location: The Hotel Galvez and the hotel next door, Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort, have the best location on the island. There's a big, beautiful beach just across the crosswalk - no jay walking. My husband and I loved that you could rent chairs and an umbrella, already set up, right on the beach. Some hotels may say beachfront, but there actually is not a beach, just the seawall. The Escapes! resort at the other end of the island and some other condos currently under construction are right on the beach, no street to cross, but they can be more difficult to rent.

There are a few amenities that were pretty fantastic. The pool is beautiful, and we ended up going there more than the beach. Being able to borrow a towel for free didn't hurt either. The television network had a great movie selection, some of which were still in theaters. The fitness room was top of the line. It had newer looking free weight machines and nearly new ellipticals, bike, and treadmills with "cardio-theater." Headphones were provided so you could watch TV while you worked out on your own personal screen; fresh towels and cold bottled water were also complimentary.

I'm not sure about this, but I think historic = tiny room. It was a beautiful room and bathroom, VERY clean and well maintained, but it was about 13 feet square. The bathroom was 5 feet by 10 feet. Basically, it was exactly the right size for a queen sized bed and a TV armoire. I can't imagine where kids would sleep. I thought maybe we had just gotten a small room, so we went exploring on other floors while the rooms were being cleaned and we asked at the front desk. Our room was the standard room size. There are bigger rooms to rent, but they are limited in quantity and rent early in the season.

If we had paid the list price on this hotel, I would have felt ripped off. We were able to get a deal on a discount website for about 40% off. The rate we got was very competitive, probably because we booked last minute. I did miss having a free breakfast that we would have gotten at another hotel. Wireless internet was not free and was charged by the day.

1 Thank funintexas
ft. worth, tx
Reviewed July 26, 2009

we stayed in a super 8 for two nights and the galvez for two nights in the cheapest rooms available at both hotels. the super 8 had a mini-fridge, microwave and free wi-fi, and the galvez room didn't. i saw a mini-fridge in the hall outside someone's room, so some rooms have them, but ours didn't. we put a to-go box in our cooler for the time being. i ended up calling the front desk to ask if there was a microwave i could somewhere in the hotel, and they said no. so we didn't get to keep our leftovers from the various great restaurants on the island.
i didn't mind the room being small for the two of us. i will second the complaint about the room being humid to the point of damp sheets. i'm glad somebody else noticed, i thought maybe i was going crazy. one call to the front desk fixed this problem. they were very nice and sent up a technician for the a/c (it was blowing in the damp air) and housekeeping to give us fresh sheets. we slept comfortably.
i know i've been a bit negative so far, but if you've seen the pictures, you know how beautiful the place is. i loved the location and the parking garage. we left our car in there and walked for the most part. i thought it was definitely worth our money for the new experience (we'd never shelled out for a nice hotel like this before), but i guess perfection still costs extra.

1 Thank sevener
Oklahoma
Reviewed July 25, 2009

This was our second time to stay at the Galvez. We've tried other hotels in Galveston but have come back to this one. Keep in mind, when you stay at the Galvez, you are staying in a much older / historic hotel, so the rooms are not large. However, it's worth losing a few square feet of room space to experience the beauty of this hotel. There is great beach right across street (Sea Wall) where you can rent chairs / umbrellas.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Garland, TX
Reviewed July 21, 2009

(Family traveling with not really teenagers but 20 somethings, college age kids)
We decided to splurge and stay at the Galvez recently and were so glad we did. It was a great trip. Nice location, so pretty, great atmosphere, very comfortable room looking right out to the ocean, great maid service, friendly and courteous staff (front desk, valet, etc.). Wonderful pool area, bar, and parking. We will definately be back again. Two thumbs up!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
texas
Reviewed July 13, 2009

Granted, this was a while back, but I was in Galveston because my wife and I were getting married there. Yes, the rooms are small, but it is a historic hotel, so I can deal with that. The elevators worked sometimes, sometimes they didn't. My main problem is that the hotel charged me $250 for smoking in the room. Now, had I smoked in there, I could totally understand that! But we did NOT smoke in the room at all. We knew it was non-smoking. However, we had been out to a few bars that weekend and our clothes smelled of smoke since you can still smoke in a bar in Galveston. That was what they went on...a little smell of smoke on our clothes. It's very humid there, so the smell was probably kind of strong if you got right up to the clothes and sniffed them. The room did not smell like smoke at all when we left it.

They did refund the $250, but only after accusing me of lying about it and after I had to be really firm with them. The girl was rude to me. I would have paid it with no complaint had I actually smoked in the room. I do smoke cigars, so yes, it would have been pretty strong if I smoked in that tiny room! I would NEVER stay in this hotel again, even if it was free. In fact, I will never stay in any Wyndham hotel again.

Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank g0v
Galvezmgr, Area Director of Rooms at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Hotel Galvez. We do regret the manner in which your situation was handled and as you can imagine there has been quite a bit of change since your last stay. It is very difficult to keep the integrity of our non-smoking status, but we must do it with tact and discretion. We hope that we may host you again in the future so you may witness our genuine hospitality.