“Great hotel on the seawall”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Fort Worth, Texas
“Great hotel on the seawall”
Reviewed July 1, 2009

I usually stay near the strand but we thought we would try something new. Nice, clean hotel with a nice pool--keep in mind because its a historic hotel the rooms are small. Spa was great Hotel restaurant was so-so

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (508)
Kingwood, TX
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My wife and I stayed overnight at the Galvez and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We enjoy staying at older hotels that typically have a more relaxed atmosphere and maintain the classic personal service that these hotels are known for. The building itself is beautifully with wonderful details throughout. The room was very comfortable and nicely decorated. The pool area was larger than you expect for the hotel. In the evening, it is a great place to sit and relax, even if you choose not to go in.
The hotel is located across the street from the beach, which is in great shape after being replenished after Ike. A walk along the seawall is a nice way to start or finish your day.
If you choose to go out for dinner, there are not many places to go within walking distance. I would suggest driving and enjoying restaurants further down the seawall or in and around Galveston. This is my third trip back since Ike and Galveston is coming back strong. There are plenty of places to eat and more and more of the shops are opening up every week.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Indiana
Reviewed June 11, 2009

We stopped in without a reservation on a Monday evening, and got a great room rate for Gulf-side views for a one-night stay. Our family of four loved the outdoor swimming pool (except that we had to ask for towels late in the evening as it was closing). Breakfast was delicious. It was a fun and spontaneous stay for the family!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank notashopper1234
Kentucky
Reviewed June 10, 2009

This was our first trip to Galveston, and we were unsure what to expect after the hurricane damage last year. Many parts of the city are still very damaged, but this Hotel was in top notch condition. The pool area was a family favorite and the lobby is like stepping back in time. I had read earlier reviews commenting on the small size of the rooms, but I was pleasantly surprised that the room was not as small as I had expected. We arrived 4 hours early and and our room was ready. The only negative of the place was that the hotel does not provide free wi-fi, there is a 9.95 fee. This is definitely a place we will stay in again if we go back to Galveston.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank kymom36
Montrose
Reviewed June 5, 2009

This is a historic hotel, but despite some reviews in the past, it has been rennovated and is now very elegant and impressive. The front and gardens, ballroom and lovely corridors and bar/restaurant areas are beautifully fitted out. The rooms are good and there is free internet access. Our only problem, shared by many other guests, is that the bar/restaurant area of the lobby is way too cold and the air conditioning is far too high. Despite the fact this must be costing a fortune to run, and the bar staff going to reception to pass on client complaints, nothing was done about this during our three-day stay. Like others, we had to go up to our room for jackets just to sit in the lounge and bar areas. As we do not like luke warm food, this put us off eating in their restaurant as nothing would stay hot too long in that temperature. I suspect that this is also the reason that the area is so quiet in the evening, whereas during the day when it is a bit warmer, there are plenty people about. Apart from this problem, we would recommend this hotel to anyone, it has a real feeling of grandeur about it and it is so well cared for. We were there the third week in May and unfortunately, the pool bar was not in operation, but it looked a great idea.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JstarkScotland
Houston, TX
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We decided to go to Galveston over the past Memorial Day weekend. We knew that this was old hotel but based on the rate that we paid ($296.10 + taxes and fees) we thought it must be a great hotel. We were extremely disappointed (to say the least!) about the guestroom. We felt like we were in a hotel in NY or Europe where there is no space but we are in TEXAS! Bathroom extremely small, windows dirty, horrible view, old TV, etc., etc… To top it all off, when we came in our room after they cleaned it, they did not pick up a finished drink glass (sangria with rotten fruit was left) and we found one dead roach right in the middle of the bathroom! We decided to cancel our second night stay and moved to the San Luis for an ocean view room, twice the size, with balcony, extremely clean, bigger bathroom, for the same rate!!!! What a difference!!! Also, the pool at Hotel Galvez was so small…. I would never stay in this hotel again EVER.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank anapapa
Galvezmgr, Area Director of Rooms at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, July 23, 2009
Thank you for sharing your experience with us. While we understand that some of our rooms are historically small, we are very disappointed as well with the lack of service you received. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness and condition of our building and work very hard to keep that reputation. We understand that first impressions are lasting, but hope that we may be able to change that one day. Again, thank you for your feedback and contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Jim Tortorici
jimtortorici@wyndham.com
Austin, TX
Reviewed May 26, 2009

Alright, so I've stayed on the Island numerous times in numerous places - beachhomes, Harbor House, Tremont House... So I figured for this small weekend vacation, my boyfriend and I would go to the Hotel Galvez. We made reservations for one night originally on a 3rd party hotel booking site. Later, we decided to stay an extra night and the lovely front desk staff set us up with another night in our same room.

Checking In:

As you drive up, you can park in the driveway as you check in (no rush, even with the 2 weddings going on). You may choose between valet parking and self parking. To save some money, we self parked in one of their gated lots (there were 3 total). You recieve the code to the parking facilities when checking in at the front desk. Check in was smooth and we went up to our room on the 4th floor with a City View.

The Room:

I've stayed in high rise oceanview condos in Galveston and honestly, the city view is just as awesome as the ocean view because you can see all the architecture of the city. The room was small, but that's understandable since it used to be rooms for the employees of the hotel back in the day. The room was clean and charming. The bed was insanely comfy and felt like sleeping on a pile of fluffy bunnies (I've actually considered calling and asking about the mattresse brand for home). There was one bathrobe in the closet which was marked as a $75 charge, so we didn't touch it. If it was under $40, we might've considered. There were two bottles of Ozarka next to the ice bucket, but these were not marked and we had no idea if they were complimentary or not, so we didn't touch them. The bathroom was very pretty and the toiletries were elegant. I guess overall, the room was what I expected.

Also, please note: INTERNET IS NOT FREE. It'll run you $10.77 total for one computer. And also, the service they use stops the internet cycle at 12 noon each day. In other words, if you purchase internet at 1pm, you'll have internet for 23 hours. If you purchase it at 8pm, you'll only have 16, so plan wisely. They do have a free "business center" which seems out of place in the lobby (from what I understand, the spa overtook the original). So you can get your internet fix there. However, I find it horrible you pay so much for the room itself and internet is not complimentary - while it was cheaper at other hotels on the island (ex. Harbor House had free WiFi when we stayed there, and the Tremont House will have free WiFi when it reopens). You have been warned.

Inside the Hotel:

This hotel is not very great for those who like to sleep in. In the morning, there were constant slamming doors (though, this was probably attributed to other guests). I also noticed other strange noises which sounded like hammering from time to time. And pretty much all day long from 9-4 or 5, you can hear the housekeeping staff vacuuming the other rooms. That was really the only major complaint about the facilities I have, but I understand why I heard what I heard.
The gift shop was quaint, the lobby and restaurant were in excellent condition. I enjoyed the display cases with ephemera of the hotel and Galveston Island. We didn't go swimming in the pool, but I was told it was a saltwater pool. At night, it was beautifully lit and looked terribly inviting. I prefer a freshwater pool when staying on a saltwater beach, but I can understand that they are going the green route.

The Staff:
All of the staff was friendly from the valet to the front desk to the bar to the gift shop to the maintinence workers. Very inviting and pleasant!

Overall it was an excellent stay and we'd like to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business