“What were we thinking???”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed May 29, 2009

We decided to go to Galveston over the past Memorial Day weekend. We knew that this was old hotel but based on the rate that we paid ($296.10 + taxes and fees) we thought it must be a great hotel. We were extremely disappointed (to say the least!) about the guestroom. We felt like we were in a hotel in NY or Europe where there is no space but we are in TEXAS! Bathroom extremely small, windows dirty, horrible view, old TV, etc., etc… To top it all off, when we came in our room after they cleaned it, they did not pick up a finished drink glass (sangria with rotten fruit was left) and we found one dead roach right in the middle of the bathroom! We decided to cancel our second night stay and moved to the San Luis for an ocean view room, twice the size, with balcony, extremely clean, bigger bathroom, for the same rate!!!! What a difference!!! Also, the pool at Hotel Galvez was so small…. I would never stay in this hotel again EVER.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank anapapa
Galvezmgr, Area Director of Rooms at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2009

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. While we understand that some of our rooms are historically small, we are very disappointed as well with the lack of service you received. We pride ourselves on the cleanliness and condition of our building and work very hard to keep that reputation. We understand that first impressions are lasting, but hope that we may be able to change that one day. Again, thank you for your feedback and contact me if I may be of further assistance.

Jim Tortorici
jimtortorici@wyndham.com

Write a ReviewReviews (4,123)

Reviewed May 26, 2009

Alright, so I've stayed on the Island numerous times in numerous places - beachhomes, Harbor House, Tremont House... So I figured for this small weekend vacation, my boyfriend and I would go to the Hotel Galvez. We made reservations for one night originally on a 3rd party hotel booking site. Later, we decided to stay an extra night and the lovely front desk staff set us up with another night in our same room.

Checking In:

As you drive up, you can park in the driveway as you check in (no rush, even with the 2 weddings going on). You may choose between valet parking and self parking. To save some money, we self parked in one of their gated lots (there were 3 total). You recieve the code to the parking facilities when checking in at the front desk. Check in was smooth and we went up to our room on the 4th floor with a City View.

The Room:

I've stayed in high rise oceanview condos in Galveston and honestly, the city view is just as awesome as the ocean view because you can see all the architecture of the city. The room was small, but that's understandable since it used to be rooms for the employees of the hotel back in the day. The room was clean and charming. The bed was insanely comfy and felt like sleeping on a pile of fluffy bunnies (I've actually considered calling and asking about the mattresse brand for home). There was one bathrobe in the closet which was marked as a $75 charge, so we didn't touch it. If it was under $40, we might've considered. There were two bottles of Ozarka next to the ice bucket, but these were not marked and we had no idea if they were complimentary or not, so we didn't touch them. The bathroom was very pretty and the toiletries were elegant. I guess overall, the room was what I expected.

Also, please note: INTERNET IS NOT FREE. It'll run you $10.77 total for one computer. And also, the service they use stops the internet cycle at 12 noon each day. In other words, if you purchase internet at 1pm, you'll have internet for 23 hours. If you purchase it at 8pm, you'll only have 16, so plan wisely. They do have a free "business center" which seems out of place in the lobby (from what I understand, the spa overtook the original). So you can get your internet fix there. However, I find it horrible you pay so much for the room itself and internet is not complimentary - while it was cheaper at other hotels on the island (ex. Harbor House had free WiFi when we stayed there, and the Tremont House will have free WiFi when it reopens). You have been warned.

Inside the Hotel:

This hotel is not very great for those who like to sleep in. In the morning, there were constant slamming doors (though, this was probably attributed to other guests). I also noticed other strange noises which sounded like hammering from time to time. And pretty much all day long from 9-4 or 5, you can hear the housekeeping staff vacuuming the other rooms. That was really the only major complaint about the facilities I have, but I understand why I heard what I heard.
The gift shop was quaint, the lobby and restaurant were in excellent condition. I enjoyed the display cases with ephemera of the hotel and Galveston Island. We didn't go swimming in the pool, but I was told it was a saltwater pool. At night, it was beautifully lit and looked terribly inviting. I prefer a freshwater pool when staying on a saltwater beach, but I can understand that they are going the green route.

The Staff:
All of the staff was friendly from the valet to the front desk to the bar to the gift shop to the maintinence workers. Very inviting and pleasant!

Overall it was an excellent stay and we'd like to stay there again in the future.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled on business
3  Thank Rheavon
Reviewed April 28, 2009

This hotel was very nice. The hotel room was good (although a little small). I thought the bathroom could use a little updating for the amount of money they charge per night. There is a small bar in the lobby, and the drinks were good. We didn't eat at the resturaunt, but heard it was good. The only thing that will keep me from returning here is that they do not allow smoking anywhere in the hotel. And all rooms are non-smoking as well.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 18, 2009

My family visited Galveston on a week long trip of Texas. Hotel Galvez was our last stop before flying home. Driving into Galveston was so depressing! The area was hit so hard Hurricane Ike, we weren't sure what to expect! One glance at the beautiful, historic hotel off of the Gulf- I knew we were staying somewhere special.

They were replacing the roof, so we overlooked the tar fumes, it needed to be done. Upon checking in, I was told that they had just finished replacing their work out facility. The Spa had just been completed when Ike hit, they completely lost it and hadn't opened back up yet. The hotel had 18 inches of water in the basement where both had been located.

This was their down season so we were surprised when we entered our double room that they gave us a room with a view of the parking lot! I quickly called the front desk and they moved us into a room with an ocean view. It had a beautiful view of the Gulf.

My 17 yr. old was eager to get into the sun, so after a quick lunch (Rainforst Cafe- again 17 yr.'s favorite) and drive by the waterfront, we decided to check out the hotel pool. It was fabulous!!! It is spacious and beautiful! The pool bar was not open, but it was very cool. There was a waiter taking orders as you would expect in a hotel such as this. While we enjoyed the pool, my husband played the local golf course- Moody Gardens. He enjoyed his round there.

Our room was very comfortable, it was smaller as in many older hotel. It did have that slight smell that all historic hotels have. The beds were very comfortable and I even copied down the label on the pillows, my husband and I BOTH loved them.

We did not dine in hotel, but strolled by the dining room during dinner and breakfast. The dining area looked very nice and many guests were enjoying it. (We had dinner at Gaidos Seafood. It was WONDERFUL!!! Read my review on it!)

We were only there over night but, as with all of Texas (except Dallas), we would have liked to stay longer. Galveston will bounce back again. A very nice lady working the gift shop was just moving into her own apartment after being displaced all of these months and losing everything but her dog. The man that checked us in had lost his office and I guess the job he had before the storm. It is very touching to see these people go on and stay in the place they love. I felt as though we were helping their economy just by being there-- so go to Galveston, help them bounce back!!! and stay at the Hotel Galvez!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed April 15, 2009

I had done my research saw the online reviews/photos (even did google earth), nothing could prepare me for the beauty of this hotel. From the driveway to the front door it is a site to see. We were staying the weekend before our cruise and could not have had a better time. The hurricane had destroyed some of the tiles on the roof but it did not take away from the gorgeous grounds.
The pool has a swim up bar and plenty of lounge chairs for relaxing in the sun. Towels are available at the pool.
Check in was a breeze, rooms were ready way before check in time. We all chose ocean view and had corner rooms.
We ate breakfast in the dining room all 3 days and the food was very good.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 30, 2009

Beware, the wyndham computer was hacked an a attempt to use my credit # was use to charge two amounts of $4,000 & 5,000 charges thru Libia. If it wasn't for my credit card company picking this up funds would have been transfered! After 6 mo. wyndham sent me a letter telling me how to protect myself at my cost, and the only compensation offered was a discount on future business.Beware!

• Stayed: May 2008
2  Thank newyorkbillNewyork
Reviewed March 1, 2009

Looking at the positive and negative aspects of our stay, I would say that on the positive side, the ocean view is wonderful as you are right on the beach. The rooms are clean and a hotel safe is provided in the room. The beds are comfy (nice firm mattresses that we like). Housekeeping does an excellent job of cleaning up and always say hello when we see them (of course, we usually say "hello" first!). Also, nice restaurants are within walking distance (.5 to 1 mile).

When we checked in, and like others who have stayed here, we are using this as recovery time. My husband had outpatient surgery in Houston on a Friday and we drove here Friday evening from Houston. The parallels: Both Galveston and my husband are recovering nicely.

Now, the negatives. I will preface my statements by stating that I have worked in the customer service business myself for many years. I also acknowledge that a person's singular bad experience, can taint the ENTIRE sequence of experiences that follow - no matter how positive the remaining experiences are.

After our grueling day (we were at the hospital from 10:00 a.m. until 6:15 p.m.), and driving an hour to Galveston, the room we had confirmed was not there according to the lady desk clerk. She said that through "third party" that the confirmed rooms aren't always available. There was not a "King room available." After unloading our luggage (large amount), I found our confirmation directly from "Hotel Galvez A Wyndham Historic Hotel [mzapata@wyndham.com]." Wyndham - 3rd party? It had a confirmation for "an Island View King Bed." Somehow, some way, a King size room suddenly became available. Also, did I mention that we were staying for a total of 10 days? I didn't appreciate - even more so after our grueling day - that we were trying to be switched to a room with double beds when we had reserved a King. Did the clerk offer an apology or say anything about her "mistake?" No.

In our current room, there is JUST enough room to walk beetween the bed and the armoire. It is small, as stated in other reviews, according to current,modern hotel standards. In defense of the size, though, we have stayed in many historic hotels and this is something to be aware of with "historic" hotels. You are getting a significant, historic atmosphere, but the tradeoff is room size. Every historic hotel we've stayed at has been smaller than more modern hotels. It's just a fact, and not something really worth complaining about.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple