“Hotel Galvez & Spa”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I chose this hotel because of the location by the seawall and also the on-site parking. I was satisfied, but was surprised at how tiny the room was - I had a king bed and there were 2 straight chairs (no padding) and no drawers at all to store clothing in - I stayed 8 days, so it was difficult living out of my suitcases for that whole time.

I did get a wonderful massage at the spa, and I felt very safe while I was there. They wouldn't give me points toward my Wyndham traveler card because I didn't book with them directly. I saved enough money by booking thru expedia that I guess it doesn't matter, but that kind of made me think about ever staying there again.

Room Tip: I had a corner room by the fire escape and it was quiet all but one night and that was because the r...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2014

Thank you for the kind review on your stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. Sorry about any inconvenience that you may have experienced. We hope that you will return to Galveston again soon.

Reviewed June 4, 2014

After checking out of the San Luis Resort after only 1 night for rude staff, the Hotel Galvez was heaven. The front desk guy was kind and funny and the bartender girl (I'm so sorry I can't remember her name - May 31st 2014) was fantastic! We had a terrific time in town from Atlanta and highly recommend this hotel! It's the only place to stay!

Room Tip: KIng room was cozy and plush with a huge shower! Much better than any other resort in Galveston!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn B

We are so pleased that we made your visit to Galveston enjoyable. Despite the rough start at another hotel, we are happy to hear that you enjoyed the service and experience at Hotel Galvez & Spa. Please come back to Galveston soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Being in Galveston one generally experiences hot weather. This time temperatures were in the 80s and staying at Hotel Galvez was a good experience with a couple of caveats.

We spent 3 nights in room 500. At first glance we were ecstatic since that room faced the sea and was on a wing that overlooked the the Gulf of Mexico from both room windows. Then we pulled back the curtains and found water deposits made the otherwise great views appear clouded. These are double pane Pella windows designed to withstand hurricane force winds but the constant exposure to sea mist means that any external cleaning lasts just a few days.

Though the windows appear to open they do not so there is no recourse but to savor the view wishing it would clear up. There are some other negative features to what should be a nice Wyndham Resort type room. The room is tiny, being the smallest of any major hotel that I have stayed in. Also in this hot climate there is no frig in the room!! There is a coffee maker of sorts and ice bucket.

The closet is decent sized, but the drawer space is weirdly designed with a few narrow drawers and some really deep open sections, not really drawers. If you want to plug in multiple devices, good luck. The wall plugs are located close to the room door and the desk.

On the plus size, the phone, message system works great; the flat screen TV also is very functional. We had a king bed which was comfortable. The whole room looked quite new. For men, the toilet lid would not stay up by itself. You have to hold it up and that is annoying. Lighting is mainly on a rheostat system which seems like a good idea.

Hotel staff are really helpful and there are two PCs in the lobby that also work very well. We liked the free wifi too because it worked without incident. Hotel Galvez is well located and within walking distance of the 25th street pier and restaurants. Free parking that is enclosed and secured for guests.

I would recommend this hotel but pay attention to the caveats noted.

Room Tip: Pick one that is sea facing, on the end
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank PDM77059

We appreciate your thorough review on your recent stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. As you can imagine, historic hotels have some challenges as needs in 1911 are quite different than 2014. Despite the issues you mentioned with the room, we do hope that you enjoyed the experience in our loggia, bar, pool and spa and we hope that you stay with us again soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2014

Recently stayed here for a banking information convention. I'd rate the lobby with a 6 out of 10, however, my room was a 4 out of 10...and the ferris wheel/entertainment arena was closed! Something the Hotel Galvez representatives should have told us. Quite disappointing and outdated. Glad my wife decided against accompanying me on this business trip... she, too, would have been sorely disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy your stay. Please note that the Galveston Island Historic Pleasure Pier is now open daily as Galveston is now in full swing in the summer season. We hope that you will give us another try in the future.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Galvez only one night for a brief getaway in Galveston, but we will certainly return. As soon as you approach the hotel you can feel its history. Absolutely gorgeous - friendly staff, updated amenities and an interesting history to go along with it. If you are a history buff you would certainly enjoy the hotel! Be sure to ask for the Galvez booklet at the concierge for more information on the hotel.

Pros: onsite parking; updated and spacious room (we had a second floor "partial view" of the ocean, but it was more than partial view (see pics); decent breakfast buffet (or you can select a la carte, but once you add up price for meal and coffee it makes sense to just go w/ the buffet for $15; beautiful grounds; across from beach and nice souvenir shop.

Cons: none really, our room seemed a little humid when we first arrived, but no big deal.

My husband and I look forward to returning to Galveston and staying at the hotel. We did stay during the week, just before Memorial Day weekend, so the price was great, but I believe it does get quite expensive in peak times.

Room Tip: We had a second floor partial view at the front of the hotel (#332), but were able to see the whole...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lynnace
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2014

Thank you for describing Hotel Galvez & Spa as a "historic beauty." We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the historic ambiance of the hotel. By the way, the hotel offers a free audio tour app for Smartphones. Just search "Hotel Galvez" in your app store and you'll find a 25-minute history and 20-minute ghost tour. Enjoy! And, we hope that you will stay with us again very soon.

Reviewed June 1, 2014

A step back in time. Flawless visit to this hotel. Traveled from Calgary, Alberta, Canada on a girls trip. Enjoyed a day at the pool had a fabulous massage from Pauline. Enjoyed the museum tour with Bobby. Southern charm and hospitailty top notch! Highly recommend. Will be back.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends

Thank you for describing Hotel Galvez & Spa as "simply the best." We are thrilled that you enjoyed the Spa, your tour and our service. We hope that you make this an annual girls trip. Happy summer!

Reviewed May 31, 2014