“A National Trust Hotel to be Trusted”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
“A National Trust Hotel to be Trusted”
Reviewed April 12, 2014 via mobile

We, my better half and Steve & Sally, spent the afternoon and night at the National Trust Hotel Gave and Spa. From check-in to check-out we enjoyed most pleasant experiences. While room seemed a bit small, the bed was WONDERFUL and one of most restful night sleep I've ever experienced. An afternoon at the spacious and moderately warm pool plus a drink at the poolside bar were precludes to the meal at Mario's ( Luigi's has closed and moved to Houston). The next morning we checked-out and went to our friends house about 50 miles north. We soon realized that I had left a jacket and two swimming suits in the room. One call to the hotel brought results and we picked up the items that afternoon. We will be back to stay at the hotel next fall.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Thank you for the wonderful review on your stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. We are so thrilled that you enjoyed your room and your time at the pool. By the way, we also have an amazing spa and onsite restaurant - Galvez Bar and Grill. We look forward to seeing you in the fall.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (532)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed April 11, 2014

I don't usually post reviews, but I was very shocked and disappointed with my treatment at the Hotel Galvez this evening.

I booked a last minute trip to the Galvez with my 35-40 pound dog. I did not know that there was a 25 pound limit because I had stayed at the hotel 6 months before with my dog.

Upon my arrival at the hotel, they took one look at my dog and told me they were cancelling my reservation. She is a chow mix, so maybe they had preconceived ideas about chows. I tried to explain that I had stayed at the hotel six months before with no problem at all, but they had no sympathy and were very rude and unsympathetic. I had driven two hours in rush hour traffic to get there. It was too late for me to find another pet-friendly hotel, so I just had to get back in my car and drive back to Houston.

I can't imagine what the manager was thinking allowing the desk staff to turn away a guest who booked the hotel in good faith. That is no way to run a business. I was humiliated. I felt that an exception for this one visit should have been made because I had stayed at the hotel with my dog previously. I would have gladly paid an extra fee or extra for room cleaning, but I was offered no such option.

The Hotel Galvez lost a loyal guest--this would have been my fourth or fifth stay.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank francespost
We recently revised our pet policy to only allow pets of 25 pounds or less. Below is a copy of the policy. We are so sorry that staff did not refer you to a nearby pet boarding option. For your information, there is a kennel on Harborside Drive which is frequently used by cruise ship passengers.

Pet Policy
We are pleased to welcome your pet to our hotel. Our pet weight limit is 25 pounds. We charge a onetime non-refundable fee of $75 per pet. Pets over 25 pounds are not permitted at our hotel. Please advise our front desk staff if you are traveling with your pet.

For the comfort of our guests, pets are not permitted in our common areas (restaurant, bar, spa, health club), loitering in our lobby, or left unattended and noisy in your private room. Inquire with our front desk staff about neighborhood pet boarding options for pets that do not conform to our limitations.
Galveston
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Great place to get away and go back in time. A relaxed quiet (accept when there is a wedding party and that is to be expected) atmosphere. The pool is isolated and secluded from traffic. Nice experience. We try to go there several times a year and enjoy the island.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

Thank you for the glowing review on your stay at Hotel Galvez & Spa. We love that you enjoyed our pool and the atmosphere of the hotel. We look forward to your next visit. By the way, we hope that you download our free tour app which is available for Smartphones.
Galveston
Reviewed April 10, 2014

Horrible experience! First of all, the room was actually pretty small for the price we paid. It was a king size bed but i was expecting something wayyy bigger. 2nd. There were cracks on the walls and the room needed maintanance. Minor details that could have been taken care of by the hotel. Seems like they ignored the issue. 3rd. The tub is about 3 1/2 feet high. My wife and i almost slipped and fell after getting out of the shower. 4th and final issue. The most important issue to me was the mattress! Stiffest mattress i have ever slept on. It has been 4 days since my stay and my back still hurts. I will not be doing business with The Galvez in the Future! Just stay at La quinta or another nearby Hotel. Im sure it is cheaper and you will still get more for your money.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

1 Thank Jose M
We are so sorry that you didn't enjoy your room at the hotel. As you can imagine, historic hotels differ from new construction in regard to room size. We appreciate your feedback and will share with the staff. We hope that you will give us another try or consider one of our sister properties - The Tremont House and Harbor House Hotel.