Great location and a truly historic property. It's a shame Wyndham hasn't spent the money to bring it up to date. I was there for four nights in May. Just some general comments:
1. There is a funky odor that lingers on the main floor lobby 24/7; UGH
2. The guest rooms are cramped
3. No desk to work at in my room
4. No comfortable place to sit in the room aside from the bed
5. The only chair in the room was a hard spartan wooden chair
5. No free coffee in the lobby (it was sold ~$4 per cup)
The hotel is right across the street from the seawall, so it was nice to simply cross the street for a nice walk along the gulf. I was told that the hotel is haunted (seems a young lady hung herself there many years ago), but I didn't experience any paranormal activity :-).
All in, an interesting property, but one that is sorely in need of a facelift.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand® Hotel and National Trust Historic Hotel of America, is the only historic beachfront hotel on the Texas Gulf Coast. This 224-room, century-old hotel offers 13,000 square feet of meeting space, a 9,763-square-foot spa, fitness center, full-service restaurant, lobby bar and pool with a swim-up bar. The hotel is rated four diamonds by AAA and is owned by Galveston preservationist George Mitchell as part of Mitchell Historic Properties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Galvez And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel
- Hotel Galvez Wyndham Historic
- Wyndham Galveston
- Galveston Wyndham
- Galvez Hotel Galveston