First off, we had trouble booking a room for just one night. The website and subsequent phone call to the hotel confirmed that there was a two night minimum.I was told I could put my name on a list and they'd call if Saturday opened up. I called back a week later to get an update and was told that this isn't really a list but he'd jot down my number and pass it on to the next shift in case something did open up.
The Thursday before, I called again and was told there were no openings for Saturday. The wife and decided we would just go for Sunday night instead so we went online to make reservations. I checked for the Saturday night just to compare to the Sunday night rate and to our surprise was allowed to book Saturday night only, which we did.
Check-in is 4pm but we got to Galveston around 10:30am. We called to request and early check-in and was told it would not be a problem because there were plenty of rooms available.
If there were so many rooms available, why was it so difficult to reserve a single night??
The hotel itself is very nice, as were the employees. The room was a bit small, but very clean. We ordered room service which was pretty good, delivered quickly and reasonably priced. The pool area was really nice which a swim-up bar and hot tub. The hotel is right across the street from the beach and about a 30 minute walk from The Strand district.
Other than making reservations, my only compliant was with the valet. Although the price was reasonable ($17, I think) and the service was quick, there were a few things out of place. The touch-screen was on the screen where you change the treble, bass, left, right, etc. (I understand if the valet wants to change stations, but there's no need to be messing with the sound). Also, the sunglass holder was down, which only implies the valet was digging through our stuff. Nothing was missing, but we didn't have anything worth taking either.
Overall, the hotel was nice. If we go back to Galveston, we'd probably stay at a different hotel but that's just because we like to change it up. I would recommend Hotel Galvez, just be weary of valet parking.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Galvez & Spa, A Wyndham Grand® Hotel and National Trust Historic Hotel of America, is the only historic beachfront hotel on the Texas Gulf Coast. This 224-room, century-old hotel offers 13,000 square feet of meeting space, a 9,763-square-foot spa, fitness center, full-service restaurant, lobby bar and pool with a swim-up bar. The hotel is rated four diamonds by AAA and is owned by Galveston preservationist George Mitchell as part of Mitchell Historic Properties. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Travelocity, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Galvez And Spa, a Wyndham Grand Hotel
- Hotel Galvez Wyndham Historic
- Wyndham Galveston
- Galveston Wyndham
- Galvez Hotel Galveston