“Hotel Galvez”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Ridgefield, Washington
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Stayed overnight with my sister...We loved it, it was a treat to ourselves after a 10 day road trip. We had steaks w/ garlic butter and sour dough bread @ the hotel, we loved it. I would love to come w/ my husband, but it's a great girls getaway spot, I can't wait to come back. The service and the grounds were impressive!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
DFW
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We stayed here before our cruise in Oct. Lovely hotel. We booked a "partial ocean view" & were upgraded upon our arrival to a full ocean view....without even asking! However, the room was a hanicap accessable room directly across from the elevators on floor 6. We could hear the elevator's bell & then people outside our door talking... I knew this would never work as I am a light sleeper. So, I called the front desk with my concerns & she said "give me a few minutes & I'll see what I can do...the hotel is completely booked because of a wedding, so I'm not sure what I can do." Within a few minutes she called back to say that a room was being cleaned just down the hall & as soon as it was ready, they'd send a bellman up to move us. Sure enough, minutes later, we were moved to the room down the hall. A smaller room, (not an accessable room like the other). We still had a great view & the room was BEAUTIFUL!

We could walk to numerous restaurants & of course the beach. The Pleasure Pier is a short walk away & was visable from our room. Beautiful site at night!

We ate the morning buffet in the restaurant. It was delishous. We strolled around the grounds before we left & found the wonderful pool area. We didn't have time to swim, so, we will do that on our next visit.

We highly reccommend this hotel... oh & there is a room on the 5th floor.... 501 that is Haunted!

Room Tip: Don't accept a room by the elevators.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Galveston Island is not a pretty place (sorry) - but this hotel makes up for it. Such a wonderful and stately building. I think the only reason I would visit Galveston Island again is to experience this old world charm that the Galvez offers. The rooms are pretty small, but everything is functional and spotlessly clean. The elevator is slow, but who's in a hurry? The small rooms and slow elevator just takes one back to a golden age, when all was not instant and huge.

Everyone I came into contact with on my 4 day visit was so helpful, friendly and charming. I spent many hours around the pool, and because it was mid-week, it was quiet and peaceful.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
We appreciate your positive feedback on your stay and we love that our hotel was the highlight of your stay. We hope you visit Galveston again and take in some of the other historic sites like The Grand 1894 Opera House, Moody Mansion and Bishop's Palace. Thanks again.
MONTGOMERY
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Still a classic hotel with new upgrades. A/C was loud & high pitched even after I switched both rooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business