“Wonderful experience”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #7 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at the Galvez, our first trip to Galveston. What a great experience it was! We booked on Hotels.com, and selected a less expensive room, without a view. When we arrived, they were almost apologizing and sorry that they could not give us a better room that night (they were full with 2 weddings). They said to check back on Sunday and they would try to upgrade our room. So we did... Not only did they give us a bigger, better room with a great view, but they even moved all our luggage up to the new room while we were out biking. And now that we are on the subject of biking, they also have beach style bikes that are free for their guests to use. We did have a little trouble with the bikes breaking down, but they came to our rescue; picked us up in the hotel van and took us back to get different bikes. I think I would suggest that if you are AVID bikers like we are it might be worth renting better bikes? But maybe those could break down too. At any rate, we felt quite pampered at the Galvez. Free parking and free wi-fi internet too. I highly recommend it !

Room Tip: higher floor and one with an ocean view would be the best choice.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (4,126)

Reviewed October 31, 2012

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We stayed here for four days in the summer and had an interesting time. If I was looking at the hotel with nobody in it, I would give it a 5 for the rating. Unfortunately, the other guests who were staying here made it somewhat hard to enjoy. We arrived in the afternoon and checked into our room and immediately went down to the pool, which I was really looking forward to after a hot and muggy car ride. The pool was huge with a swim-up bar and a large hot tub and plenty of seating for everyone. The pool was filled with people, which isn't so bad except for everybody in the pool except for my family was playing a giant game of nerf football. They were obnoxiously screaming back and forth at each other (grown men playing, not just children). The hotel staff should have handled the situation because it was obvious that the people sitting around the pool wanted to get in and swim/relax, but couldn't. After about 20 minutes of this, a wet nerf ball landed on my face. Not exactly pleasant. At that point I got out of the pool and asked the staff at the bar to get a manager involved and stop the rowdiness. The workers were very polite, granted, they were all shy 16-year-olds working a summer job there. I don't know if a manager ever did anything, but they stopped the game, I'm assuming because they realized they hit me in the face and then saw me go complain, so they they were scared and left. Luckily I never saw those people again for the rest of the trip, so the pool area was quite enjoyable after that. The atmosphere/decor of the hotel was exactly what I would have wanted. The hotel had 2 elevators for like 9 stories I think and only one of the elevators went to the top floor to the penthouse suite, where we were staying. So whenever we wanted to go up to our room and we pushed the "up" button for the elevator and the wrong elevator came down, we had to wait like 5 minutes to get the other elevator to come down. So the tradeoff for paying extra and getting the penthouse suite is you have to wait forEVER for an elevator. We did end up taking the stairs a few times, but they were hot/muggy cement and they were not air conditioned. The restaurant was ok, better than probably what the rest of the island has. The breakfast was very good, one of my favorite parts of the trip. The dinner wasn't as great and we were the only ones there which made us kind of skeptical. Also, the beach is across the street and you have to go down the block to cross at the lights, don't think it's easy to just run across because it's a 4 lane road with wild drivers. The beach was great and the hotel pool area had a shower place to rinse the sand off on the way back in. In the middle of our stay one night, our toilet overflowed (there was nothing in it) and the water got all over the room. The maintenance staff had to use a machine to suck the water out of the carpet to it can dry, and they dumped the water into the bathtub to empty the machine and didn't clean the bathtub... we didn't want to switch rooms because it would be a downgrade from what we had, but the manager said we had to so they could clean it for the next guests. So the next morning we had to pack everything up and move it into a hotel room that was not nearly as nice or spacious. They didn't give us any discount except for coupons so all four of us could get free breakfast. We already had plans to eat breakfast somewhere else, so it didn't really compensate anything for us because we had to miss out on our other plans. When we moved rooms, they didn't give us any of the deluxe toiletry items that our penthouse suite came with. The hotel said that the toilets in the hotel overflow a lot because it's so old. I don't get why they don't just upgrade the plumbing. I called the spa one day to look into getting a massage, and the person who helped me over the phone sounded very snotty/rude and it totally made me not want to go anymore so I didn't. Why would I pay for an overpriced massage (most prices were about double what they would normally retail for) when the girl is rude when I'm scheduling? Overall, I would stay here again though, but I won't be afraid to speak up to the management when our stay/services are lacking.

Room Tip: For kids activities, I gave a 5 rating, but really this hotel is not for kids. It should be for fam...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family