“October weekend at the Galvez”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
Dallas, TX
“October weekend at the Galvez”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

My wife and I spent the weekend there and thoroughly enjoyed it. We drove down from Dallas and had a couples massage when we arrived. We made a reservation for the massage, in advance and it was worth it!

The hotel is close to restaurants and The Strand.

We spent 2+ hours by the pool, late Saturday afternoon. There is a bar at the pool.

We did eat Sunday brunch at the hotel restaurant, Bernardo's. This is a champagne brunch and a really good buffet. I recommend the French toast and the bacon in particular.

As Sandy remarked on our way back to Dallas, it was only a weekend but it felt like a vacation. We will definitely be back at the Galvez again.

Duncan & Sandy

Room Tip: Any room facing the island side is probably quieter than the front of the hotel. That said, we were...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (482)
Houston, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

The Galvez is extremely old but is kept up well. Free WiFi unlike many of the more expensive hotels.Self Parking is also free. The elevators are a little slow but otherwise no problems.

Did not dine in the restaurants except for banquet servings which were fine.

Room Tip: Try for a beach view.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Conroe, Tx
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

My husband and I went on a weekend away without the kids and stayed two nights here. I had no idea a head of time that this hotel had history as far as paranormal until the last night staying there. My husband and I were on the 5th floor in the famous Room 500 were supposably in the early 1900's a woman had hung herself from the beam outside the room and her soul is still stuck there. My husband found all this on the enternet that last night before we went out for dinner. We noticed the thermastat twice had went up higher than what we had had it set at. Then when I was getting ready to go out to dinner that night the lights in the bathroom went off on me while I was putting on my make up. We got back to the room around 10 pm that night. Everything was fine until around 1 am I was falling asleep and my husband had went downstairs to smoke I hear two loud bangs on the wall where the head board is and then something pushed the headboard so hard (it's attached to the wall) it pushed me up in the bed. Needless to say it took forever to fall back asleep that night. But other than that we loved the hotel with its rich history and it's absolutly beautiful there. The staff was extremely nice and attentive. The hotel was clean and in order. I will say I was surprised at how small the room was, we had the King with two huge windows with views to the beach.

Austin, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had an ocean view and we stayed 4 days.

The rooms are comfortable.

The room had a new TV, but the remote was for the old TV. The guide that was provided did not match the TV stations. The refrigerator compressor was very noisy and recycled all through the night. One bar of bath soap was provided and never replaced. (I had to snatch a bar off a cart in the hallway!} The carpet was quite worn.
Everyone was helpful and polite. The restaurant on the premises was good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
WyndhamGalveston, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear Guest,
We appreciate the feedback on your stay. On behalf of the hotel and our staff, I apologize for your stay. I will share your input with our housekeeping and maintenance staff. We do hope that you will give us another try on your next visit to Galveston.
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

This was my first trip to Texas. I certainly did not expect this gem. The Galvez has you stepping back in time to the days of grand hotels and glamourous movie stars. There are suites named after presidents and famous people who frequented the hotel back in its earlier days. Though the hotel has been through some transformations, it has not lost that original charm. We participated in the October dinner and ghost tour. The guide was enthusiastic about the hotel's other worldly guests and their stories. Other than the shameless plug for Wyndham, it was informative. Most of the other people on the tour were locals who had been on the tour before, and make it an annual event. There was even a local author on the tour. The Sunday brunch was quite good despite the warnings from other guests that the food at Banards is subpar. On that note, our breakfast croissants were burnt this morning... And we replaced them with toast and jam. The rooms pale in comparison to the rest of the hotel, no view from our room, but it was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff were all very lovely and accommodating. We will return to the Galvez. Another note, as a lesbian couple we never felt any prejudice; on the contrary we were welcome and felt quite at home.

• Stayed October 2012