Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #8 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Reviewed August 3, 2012

I was so excited to visit this hotel. I absolutely NEVER get away and just relax. The pictures looked so glamorous on-line. I truly was looking forward to a WOW experience. The hotel is grand on the outside. I love the history and vintage look. The inside is nice and parts are reminiscent of the "old" days, which I loved, but I didn't see the glamour I was expecting. It was nice...don't get me wrong, just more simple than I expected. The Hotel staff was always friendly. The rooms were a disappointment. I did have a Guld view, which was lovely, but the room beyond that seemed typical. They were small and uneventful. For $300/night I wanted more! The mattresses were hard so for three nights I tossed and turned all night long. The bathroom was a huge disappointment. I expected something more typical of a 101 year old hotel. Instead what we had was a cheap make-over bathroom that looked like a motel 6 bathroom. For example, the tiles were the cheap square white tiles that looked very tired. The shower was a paper thin cloth curtain that was tattered. When you showered, it wrapped itself around you like a suction cup because there was no plastic liner to keep it down. To be honest, I've stayed in a Holiday Inn Express that was nicer than this property. The beds were so delicious you didn't want to get out of them and the bathrooms had granite countertops, very nice fixtures, shower, etc. for half the price. The pool water was foggy and not well manicured and the chaise lounges were so hard and uncomfortable the long hours lounging by the pool were not to be experienced. We couldn't sit in the lounges longer than 30 minutes. They looked nice, but not build for the human body. The time with my mother and sisters was priceless...the history of the hotel was wonderful, but the accomodations given the price were a complete disappointment. Sorry Wyndham!

Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel Group
Write a ReviewReviews (4,071)

Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is a very good hotel and I had a sneaky look around one or 2 others on the seawall area and would not hesitate to choose this as a piece of calm sophistication among the tourist throng. The old world charm is combined with modern facilities; our air con did give out but the hotel fixed this within the day. The pool area is well appointed and you can drink/eat at the poolside with attentive staff. On our visit the restaurant was not well used despite it offering a range of items from relatively inexpensive sandwiches to a full and well executed menu of entrees; perhaps people think they have to choose the steaks which are, admittedly on the pricey side. Well deserving of its place at the top end of the review spectrum in Galveston

1  Thank halibutMontgomery
Reviewed August 2, 2012

We have always wanted to stay at the Hotel Galvez. We stayed over night and had a great time. The Hotel was great and the Ghost stories were fun. The price was a little out of our budget but it was worth staying once. I love the fact that the hotel offered Bicycles for the guest to use for the day. The food at the hotel was very $ but there are several near by places to eat. Once we parked out car in the covered parking we never had to move it.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

This is one of the most beautiful hotels Ive seen. Its supposidly haunted, but that just adds to its ambiance. The rooms are a bit smaller than in the newer chain hotels, but they are clean, and comfortable and really - when you're in a resort town, how much time are you really spending in your room? They do a wonderful brunch at the hotel, the pool is great and has plenty of lounge chairs and a swim up bar. I gave it an "average" rating for the value because during the high tourist season, it can be quite pricey and you can find a chain hotel for less.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Great location, great pool and poolside service. Room size was was our only complaint, but we got it at a great manager special rate, so we didn't complain. Had we paid regular price we would have been upset because the room would not have been worth that amount.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

For a beach hotel, the lack of places to hang wet things for drying was a real problem.
Otherwise fine.
Lovely building, nice history, but not worth the price, IMO.

Reviewed August 2, 2012

The hotel was cleaned, lovely, wonderful staff from valet, to front desk, room service, the lady who brought our bags up, the inside bartenders, waitresses and waiters and pool guys. The food was great. The only problem we had was the pool waitresses. I went down to the pool approx 330pm Friday, my husband Gary was at the inside bar. I was down there for about 20 minutes, try to catch the waitresses attention to get me a drink. Several of them went by me several times, could not get there attention. Finally I got me a drink. Finished it and wanted another, waited another 20 minutes still no drink. I saw them over by the outdoor bar, talking, making drinks for other clients, but not helping me. There was a few other clients I saw that they were slow in helping, but not like me. So I got mad and went upstairs. Gary was about to come down to the pool. I told him to have fun and stop at the inside bar to get him a drink he wouldn't get one at the pool. He finally talked me in going back down. We stopped at the indoor bar and got me a drink. He didn't get one, he wanted to see how long it was before he got a drink/help. We were there for an hour and my drink was long gone by then and he never got a drink. We went back inside got him a drink and went upstairs. I would like to thank the hotel for sending up a bottle of wine and strawberries for my birthday. That was wonderful. The only problem I had was I wanted to get something out of the gift shop Saturday and the lady said she was having internet/computer issues so she couldn't check us out. I ended up not getting anything. I know you guys can't control internet or computer issues.