“Never Have I Ever Been SO DISAPPOINTED in a 5 Diamond Hotel!!!!”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
A TripAdvisor Member
7hsjVK1qjfGSO08PriLhI2g60-9JBR3jkd7o-GfBDx4
Reviewed July 13, 2012

At almost 400 per night per room, and I had 2 rooms, I would have expected a dresser with drawers in the room to put my clothes in for the 3 night stay. Instead my clothes had to stay in the suit cases.....and wrinkled! Then came along In Room Dining..... food was typical, tasty and plentiful, if you did not mind eating on the FLOOR!!! Room Service refused to provide a rolling table for my wife and I to eat on.....and there was NO TABLE in the room! So we sat on pillows and ate our dinner off of the tray on the floor. And finally, this was a no smoking hotel....only place designated was a little cove behind the swimming pool, dank and wet, for us to smoke. At least there was a table and chairs. Maybe I should have had room service deliver our dinner there!!! No....wait, the wind and damp would have blown the candles out.

Overall, I was extremely disappointed. When I complained to the staff, her only reply was "I am sorry sir, this is a Wyndam Hotel, it is their policy". Your policy has lost one customer.....and I promise to spread the word to ALL of my influential friends. DONT STAY AT A WYNDAM HOTEL!!!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel

Reviewed July 13, 2012

The hotel is very nice but I feel the value for the dollar is not good. At 200 a nite, the room was a cracker box and the decor which was nice did not match the historic old hotel.

The amenties were nice but when it came down to it, I could have stayed at a similiar property for less and have the same small room with the cold urban loft feel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2012

While the location of this hotel is excellent and the look from the outside is awesome, I found our room with two double beds to be very closterphobic. There was no microwave or refrigerator in your room, only a small space to walk between beds and t.v. The prices of food was astronomical when I could have stayed at a cheaper hotel that included a complimentary breakfast. They do have an amazing spa and pool on sight.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

This hotel was a bit pricey, but You do get what you pay for. Staff very nice, quality of everything very good.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

My son and I have stayed at the Hotel Galvez for the past 3 years on our annual chartered fishing trips in Galveston. The breakfast/brunches at the Hotel Galvez are delicious, the raspberries are always the sweetest I've every had, and this year Jerry made the best omlets for us! Plus Jerry's knowledge of the island and local cuisine was spot on!
Thank you Hotel Galvez!!

Reviewed July 12, 2012

We were in Galveston for a wedding the weekend before finals, so my husband surprised me by booking an 8th floor (top floor) ocean view suite (the Howard Hughes Suite) at the Hotel Galvez so that I would have a peaceful place to study with a view of the ocean. Needless to say, at over $400/night, that did not happen.
Arrival went beautifully; valet service was very organized, our bags were taken immediately, and check in went smoothly. Even though many people were arriving all at once, the staff was friendly and very helpful. The hotel is gorgeous. The lobby and bar area and grounds are all immaculately maintained. The pool is fabulous, sitting areas are intimately arranged and yet can easily accommodate a large number of people. I did not realize just how many people were at the pool until I took a walk around. The hotel is located directly across the street from the beach - that was wonderful. We took moonlight strolls each evening.
The first issue we ran into was that we were told we had to make reservations for Sunday brunch. We explained that we were with a wedding party and were told there was a hosted brunch for the couple at 11:30. We were informed that there were no tables available at that time - and they were not being reserved/held for the wedding party. We were then offered two seats at the bride and groom’s table since they had a table for 4 reserved. What?! That seemed a little presumptuous, so we declined. We ordered room service for breakfast on Saturday and it was fine. (We left the hotel early Sunday and opted to have brunch elsewhere.)
I was hugely disappointed when I saw the suite. The décor was not very attractive; it most definitely was not what I expected coming up from the lobby. I was surprised at the foil/mirror prints on the walls, they were quite tacky and in no way reflected the rich character of the hotel. The windows were little tiny arches from which there was only a view of the sky unless you got up against the window and peered down. It felt much like being in a dungeon, very claustrophobic though the suite was a decent size. There was a larger window in the bathroom, and the shower was amazing with the dual head rain shower - though there was not a tub in our suite. I could hear a woman in the hallway (from the suite next to ours) explaining to maintenance that the water wouldn’t stay in her bath, so some of the suites on the 8th floor must have tubs.
The main problem occurred when we attempted to sleep. Noise from the elevator machinery echoes through the ceiling so there are hydraulic noises and a “clunk” every time the elevator moves. It was horrible. Finally I moved out to the couch, and that was even worse. From there you can hear the “ding” every single time the elevator stops. It was pure torture.
The next morning we called down and requested to be moved. They were very busy, so even though reception said someone would be up in 15 minutes to move us, we called down in 30 and were told it would be another 30 minutes. We did get moved in an hour. There were very few rooms available so we were moved to a King A Standard on the 4th floor. It was a bit of a surprise, I hadn’t realized how much nicer the suites were than the rooms. Gone were the decorator lamps, chandelier sconces, shower heads, glass shower doors, and high-end soaps (I was sad that I had not taken the soaps from our suite when we were relocated). But the room was on the end/corner, so it was bright and clean, had a good view, and was so peacefully quiet (but my husband had to leave to watch the Kentucky Derby because we no longer had two rooms). Though we had a non-refundable reservation, we were credited the difference between the two rooms for just the one night we stayed in the smaller room. I was very surprised we were not offered an invitation to return and stay in a different suite at a slightly discounted rate (token gesture). We will not be choosing the Hotel Galvez in the future.

Room Tip: Avoid the center suite on the 8th floor (Howard Hughes suite), it has very small semi-circular windo...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 12, 2012

The Hotel Galvez and Spa is a beautiful property. The hotel is elegant and stately. We were delighted with the restaurant food quality and prices. The pool area was beautifully landscaped with a swim-up pool bar and lots of servers to take your food/drink orders around the pool. The spa experience was amazing. One of the best massages I've ever had. We stayed in a suite which was well-appointed. I would recommend that you not stay in a room next to the elevator. We could hear the 'dinging' of the elevator all night when sleeping in the roll-out bed in the suite. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business