“Nice hotel but bad area”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 52 Hotels in Galveston
livonia mi
“Nice hotel but bad area”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Galveston prior to departing on a cruise. The hotel was older with smaller rooms but beautiful. The restaurant was great and in the evening they had a piano player in the bar which was nice as Galveston is not a good place to walk around in. They have a small area of restaurants and bars which was fun but the city has fallen on some hard times so you have to be very careful where you go. There really isn't any place else to stay. Maybe things are better in the summer-we were there in February and it was pretty desolate.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, December 23, 2011
Thanks for your review and I'm glad you enjoyed the restaurant and our piano player. Galveston has made great strides in rebuilding following Hurricane Ike and in most parts of the island the signs of Ike are long gone. Since your review states you stayed almost a year ago in February, 2011, I am sure you would see great progress today. Please come back soon and see how far the island has come.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2011

I live in nearby Houston and have never stayed at the Galvez, only the San Luis a few times. I was at San Luis last August and swore I would never go back again. Now that I've stayed at the Galvez, that swear is absolute. The check-in clerk, Tara was very kind and patient as we requested a room change for a better view of the Gulf. She even waived the upgrade fee just as a courtesy. The bed was very, very comfortable and I could tell the mattress are a premium line. I have never slept good at any hotel or bed & breakfast like I can at home but this was even better than my own mattress! They had feather down pillows and down comforter. I really felt pampered here. I paid with Amex rewards but I would have paid the extra, regardless, over saving a few bucks and sleeping at the San Luis grandmother old mattresses they shamelessly provide for their hefty price. There were not ceiling fans but they did provide a box fan upon request and quite a nice roll-a-away bed for my little ones. We were all very happy and satisfied with this entire experience. We didn't try any of their restaurants but they seemed to have ample seating and pretty good views of the Lobby floor. The corner rooms on the lower floors are very small so we decided to switch to a larger room in the center of the hotel which was quite ample. Starting from the 4th floor, the view is much better since you see less of the rooftops, stairs and carport valet roofing. I'd highly suggest that you are one who is there partly for the view, get something only from the 4th level up.

Room Tip: For a view, book a room from the 4th level up. For ample space, do not book a corner room. If you...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for giving us a try and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay. Our mission is to provide the best service and value on the island. Please come back soon for another great night's rest.
The Woodlands, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2011

The Hotel Galvez has always been among our favorite historic hotels. We can not say enough about the spa. Pauline and Camille gave us great massages and the gentle facial from Kelly made my skin so comfortable. The hotel looked beautiful. Our only problem was our room. We asked for an upper premier room facing the Gulf. The premier room we received was right over the porte cochere. The windows were blocked almost completely by a large decorative ornament (it can be seen in the hotel picture above). You could see the Gulf if you bent your head way to the left or right. A look down gave you tar paper. The hotel said no other rooms were available except a standard Gulf view, which we moved to. In that room three of the lights were burned out and had to be fixed. Not a good start to a 40 year anniversary. The room was so much less than what we have enjoyed in the past and expected for such a special event. I wish we had been informed about the location of the room when we made the reservation. We would have come back at a different time.

Room Tip: Be sure to clarify that your room has an unobstructed view of the Gulf if that is the type of room y...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gms1271
Thanks for your review and your nice comments about our spa which has been voted the Best Spa on Galveston Island by several publications. I am so sorry your room location was not to your liking and I wish we would have made your anniversary more special. Please come back so we can make this up to you.
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

We needed a hotel to stay in before our cruise out of Galveston, so I called Wyndham and had enough points to stay at this hotel for free. WOW....! The hotel was beautiful, the customer service from the valet guys to the front desk clerks to the cleaning crew were awesome, and we slept great. The hotel has character. When we walked in we felt like we were walking into grand tradition. There was a guy playing the piano and he was really good. Our room looked over the beach so it was nice to wake up to a beautiful view. If we go back to Galveston for any reason, I will stay here no matter the cost.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Thanks for staying with you and for sharing your comments. The Galvez does take one back in time to those grand traditions and I am so glad you enjoyed your stay.
La Jolla, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2011

The service is wonderful from check in to restaurant and bar staff. There is an old world elegance here because of the history and the unique look of the hotel. The breakfast buffet was varied, delicious, and affordable. Loved the grounds with the gardens and the adirondack chairs facing the water. Stayed in a room facing the water and the bed was great. The room is small and the carpet in the room could use an upgrade. They also have rooms on certain floors that are considered "cleaner air." They have bicycles to use to get around.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

My wife and I were here for business on a Monday and Tuesday night at the end of November. The hotel was practically empty due to the cold weather in Galveston but we loved it as it felt like we had the hotel to ourselves and the staff were always excited to see us and help us. The building is beautiful and despite the smallish room (keep in mind just how old this building is and how many hurricanes it has survived), it has been completely updated with the latest hi-tech amenities and the bed was sooo soft and comfortable that we had a tough time getting motivated to crawl out of bed. We were there for business, but we'll certainly be back for a romantic weekend. I am not sure what the hotel will be like during the craziness of the summer time rush of tourists, but on the weekdays in November and December, it is a wonderful retreat from the hustle and bustle of the larger cities we are usually in.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

We got married on 11/26/11 and decided to spend the rest of our wedding weekend here. We honestly couldn't have made a better choice. Everything was so beautiful and elegant (esp. since they had started decorating for Christmas) and our room 'The Oleander Suite' was very spacious and comfortable. I also MUST recommend the breakfast buffet. Anyone staying here has to try it at least once. It's rather pricy (or for most modest budgets it is) but it is worth every penny and I'm so glad my husband insisted we give it a try. It is some of the best breakfast I've ever had, hands down. We will definitely be coming back here for our future romantic getaways.

Room Tip: I have no first hand experience of this at all, but they say the 5th floor is haunted. If that creep...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple