“great staff and old-world charm, but room wasn't functional”

Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel
Ranked #5 of 51 Hotels in Galveston
Portland, Oregon
“great staff and old-world charm, but room wasn't functional”
Reviewed March 25, 2011

I stayed in room 558 on March 21-23. The staff was great; most notably, the front desk clerk and a young valet parking attendant. The lobby, especially, had old-world charm. My room had a small window with a view of the Gulf. Bed linens and toiletries were luxurious. If you are parking your own car, be aware that the garage is a block away. Not really a problem. The one fault was with the room's functionality. It was simply not at all functional. The only dresser did not have drawers large enough to hold clothing; there were only two, and they were only 2 or 3 inches high. Because this dresser/computer desk was located at the end of the bed, the chair wouldn't fit in front of the pull-out computer shelf; it had to be moved from the built-in shelf that held the coffeemaker, which was located across the room, whenever I wanted to use my computer. Not a great distance away, as the entire room, including bathroom was only 300 sq. feet, but a nuisance. The television was located on top of the dresser and faced the bed. It could only be seen while in bed; the only upholstered chair was around a corner and back 6 or 7 feet. So, although the room had everything for a comfortable stay, the layout just didn't work for all functional purposes.

Despite it all, I did appreciate the friendliness of the staff and the cleanliness of the room. The location was great for access to local restaurants and the beach. However, I don't think I'd stay here again due to the functionality issues.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (520)
Reviewed March 19, 2011

Took my family to Galveston for a few days and we stayed at the Hotel Galvez. PROS: walking distance to the beaches along the seawall and very relaxing pool with great adult beverages and cool music. CONS: the only bed choices I had when booking was either 1 king bed or 2 double beds...for my family's stay, we chose 2 double beds and they were TINY (my feet actually hung over the edge!). Also, 1 narrow window near the head of the bed does NOT have curtains and tends to wake you up early. We had a problem with the A/C unit being noisy, but they fixed it on their 2nd attempt. Next time we go to Galveston as a family, we will definitely try a different hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
WyndhamGalveston, General Manager at Hotel Galvez & Spa A Wyndham Grand Hotel, responded to this review, March 21, 2011
Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed the pool and pool bar. Not sure why you felt the beds were small as all rooms with two beds have full size beds like most hotels. When we completed renovations there are a few rooms where the small window is missing a shutter - these will be in place within30 days. Sorry this affected your stay.
Magnolia, Texas
Reviewed March 14, 2011

Two nights at the Hotel Galvez was not enough for us. Wish we could have stayed longer. Perfect location if you like to take walks. Room was nice as usual since we visit the Grand Hotel once a year for our Anniversary (We always get the same room). Comfortable beds and nice and spacious glass shower with two shower heads (The Spa Room). Only problem we had is the 42in flat screen not very user friendly. Remote would never work and the screen quality just lack any brightness. Room service was fast. Valet guys were fast. The Bell Hops we had a problem trying to get our luggage down stairs at check out (Had back surgery a year ago and trying to take it easy). We called twice and waited over 20min and no one showed up still. We ended up carrying our own luggage down stairs since our car was ready. My wife always uses the Spa and loves the staff (Especially Georgia) because they make her feel like a queen for the day.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Houston, TX
Reviewed February 14, 2011

My wife and I stayed here the weekend before Valentine's Day for a romantic weekend. This hotel is beautiful. The age is obvious from the time you walk in the door, but the decor is timeless. We had a little trouble at first with room assignement, but the staff immediately fixed the problem and upgraded our room. Overall the staff was attentive and worked hard to make our experience good. The service in the restaurant was adequate, just slow. We accounted this to the typical "Island-Time" experience. Just relax and enjoy the surroundings.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Richmond, Tx
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Very expensive. Extremely small room with a window right over the bed with no window covering (room 340) so you can be guaranteed a sunrise awakening. Hard to sleep anyway with saggy bed. Just a very old facility that they tried to upgrade.

Just too damn old and designed for a different era. Pipes broke day I was there and no water for two hours. Not all that terrific that it should be saved.

No desk, just a slide out on the chest. No fridge. Poor lighting. Furnishings seem cheap. Had better room at Holiday Inn Express.

Need your car from the valet - 20 minute wait at mid day on a Saturday. Need a bellman - never showed in 30 minutes mid morning Sunday. Front desk attitude was "Oh well, sorry about that."

Internet wi-fi worked but wired connection did not. Pool closed for re-furb.

DID I MENTION THE ROOMS ARE SMALL.?

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed January 30, 2011

You gotta stay here once when you come to Galveston. It's got a long history, so I didn't expect it to be flawless and it wasn't. But I'm still glad I stayed here. Service was poor - tey really need to be told what customer service is. Cleanliness was a little off, but fine. The fact of being in the Galvez made up for a lot. I didn't use the pool, but it looked great!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Houston, Texas
Reviewed January 27, 2011

We had no problem checking-in this past weekend , had a very friendly and helpful desk clerk who quickly got us our room keys. My family waited for me while I self-parked the car in the secure lot with no issues. We headed up to our second floor room (240) and appreciated the newly renovated hallway and room. Small, but wonderful, although I did not have a double shower head in my room like other reviewers did. The bathtub appeared to be old and not updated in the refurb, but everything else was beautiful. We especially loved the auto-dimming lights...a nice touch.

One of our few problems was in the restaurant. Service was slow and unattentive. Like others have said, you would expect a lot more from a facility of this quality. Waiter did not check in on us after recieving our meal (a FIRST for me!) he never asked about drinks...thus missing out on probably $30 in drink sales right there. Check took forever too. The young lady who did some bussing and filled our water was personable and kept my water filled to the brim though. And the food was good...my wife had the pasta and I had a blackened red fish which was delicious. My 3yo son was disappointed that he couldn't get a hot dog though...they were all out. :(

Only other issue was on Saturday evening. Our room was close enough to the ballroom area and a wedding was going on. We had some music noise filtering through and a couple exchanged heated words outside our door for a few hours in the evening Saturday night. We had turned in by 9PM since we have a 3yo and the fighting and nasty words were certainly not appreciated. It's not the hotel's fault certainly. You would think a hotel made of concrete would have been sound-dampening. :(

Check out was a non-issue. Location was good although it is not a walkable location for the Strand or the bulk of Seawall restaurants. The trolley, when running (summer?) does stop right outside so that would make a Strand-trip easy as this goes to the Strand and the cruise ship terminal/port.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family