“Stop, Stretch, and Snack...all in one location”
Review of Rumpy's

Rumpy's
Ranked #1 of 2 Dessert in Gainesville
Cuisines: German
Description: Rumpy's is a store that sells various German bakery items and meats. Because they have tables/chairs for eating their wares, I called it a restaurant. It could be an "attraction" but I think that's a stretch because they mainly serve food, beverages, and gasoline...with a few local gifts. We stop there every trip to Texas because of their great goodies!
Reviewed February 13, 2011

Part bakery, part convenience store, and all good, Rumpy's is a "must stop" every time we travel down I-35 do the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

From the outside, Rumpy's looks like just another convenience store, and it does offer many items you'll find in quick-stop stores across the country. But unlike most places of this genre', Rumpy's offers a wide variety of freshly-baked German and American pastries: strudel, fruit and meat kolaches, full-sized and individual serving-sized pies, hoagie rolls, and more.

They also carry delicious meats and cheeses from Fischer's Market in nearby Muenster, Texas. Additionally, they have freshly made pizza and sandwiches, and a number of local souvenirs.

The seating area is small, but adequate: about a half-dozen tables and chairs plus a dining bar along the front window.

Everything we've eaten there is delicious and reasonably priced. We usually take a cooler to stock up on smoked cheddar cheese, and will buy a bag or two (or three) of kolaches...they are great for a quick breakfast.

Rumpy's restrooms have always been very clean, too!

The store sits on the west side of I-35, just south of the U.S. 82 interchange. It's easy to see when driving south on the interstate, but is easy to miss when driving north. Northbound motorists on I-35 should take the California Street exit, turn left (west) under I-35, then turn right on the frontage road. (At this point, you'll be driving northbound along the west side of the interstate highway. Many frontage roads in Texas are one-way, but this one is an exception, probably due to the large number of restaurants in the area.)

Rumpy's enjoys a brisk trade from locals who know about their specialty items and special offers, and a growing number of motorists make the stop, as we do. About the only negative is that supplies sometimes run short due to their popularity. Like most bakeries, the best selection can usually be had earlier in the day. Visitors during evening hours may find their favorite items...particularly the kolaches...are not available.

There are newer reviews for Rumpy's