“Best Greek food since Chicago”

Platia Greek Kouzina
Ranked #5 of 417 Restaurants in Frisco
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Greek
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Families with children, Kids, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: 972 334 0031
McKinney, Texas
“Best Greek food since Chicago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2012

I've been eating Greek food all my life, all over the world (including Greece). So I know my way around Menus & preparation (good and bad) of most things Greek.
So, I was mildly amused when my wife suggested we have lunch at Platia - She had eaten there a month before with my daughter - she guaranteed me, the food was GENUINE Chicago style Ala Greek Town Chicago.
Oh yeah?
Well I grudgingly went along and grumbled at all the pretty good paces we were driving right by to go 10 miles out of our way for what I was sure would be passable if not barely edible Greek fare I had become accustomed to in the Republk of Tejas!
Well!
S U R P R I S E !
We were greeted at the door and led to out table by a guy slightly older than me with a slight accent that I recognized immediately as Greek. The menu was complete with all the things I love to eat but we only came for lunch so we settled on the Octopus (lightly charred on a plate with extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar with wedges of pita for dipping! It was prepared perfectly and was VERY light textured, obviously young and prepared by knowing, experienced loving hands. Diana's would've been proud to serve this and call it their own except this was BETTER than Diana's or even the Greek Isles restaurant in Greek town.
Even though the menu was ample, we both settled on Gryos sanwiches. I was hoping my wife would've ordered the Lamb Souvlaki so I could've sampled that but she selfishly decided she wanted the Gyros as well.
It was WONDERFUL! Not dry at all like some places serve. Very soft, seasoned perfectly and right amount of tzaziki on nice firm yet spongy pita!
The only think missing was a bottle of Roditis to wash everything down with. Next time I will come prepared for a feast.
We spoke with George the owner on the way out. Turns out he & I lived in the SAME neighborhoods in Chicago over many years. Wow, it is a small world.
Come and bring a group with you and PARTY! A place like this is to be cherished and enjoyed with friends over a leisurely Greek dinner!
Don't forget your wine!
Oopa!

• Visited August 2012

Crestview, Florida
“YUM!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

We were taken here by some wonderful friends. Brought our own drinks. Interesting. Our dinners were lamb, chicken and gyros and were all VERY good. Service was good as well. Prices were acceptable. We rarely give a place an EXCELLENT review, but this would be one of those times. We would go back again and recommend this place to everyone. YUM!!!

• Visited July 2012
Frisco, Texas
“Now, that's Greek!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2012 via mobile

I am in a Greek family by marriage, and even my in-laws love this place! Get the dolmathes avgolemono and, if they have it, the arni youvetsi (lamb shank). Love it, love it love it!

Galveston Island, Texas
“Authentic Greek”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

Very good Greek, authentic flavor and good memories of family style Greek cooking.

Visited May 2012
2 Thank Papou1947
New York, NY
“Authentic Greek food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012 via mobile

This area is full of chain restaurants and I am from an area where there is not many. I also married into a Greek family. After having family food and Greek food in authentic restaurants, I will tell you that this place is the real deal! Plus the staff are the sweetest people! The food is excellent. Try yia yias Kota and the baklava! There is even outdoor seating. Great place and I wish them the best!

2 Thank rutgerjen

Been to Platia Greek Kouzina? Share your experiences!