“HORRIBLE FILTHY PLACE TO STAY”
Review of Cedar Sands Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Freeport
Cedar Sands Motel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Freeport
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Do NOT stay here! Especially if you have bad allergies. The rooms have been renovated by painting them. There is MOLD showing through the paint on the walls, mold in the picture frame above the bed, mold on the bed AND on the pillows. It was absolutely disgusting. Will post photos for proof.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family

Reviewed May 12, 2010

We spent Mother's day weekend at this wonderful motel and even though the weather wasn't the greatest the stay was. We had a down stairs room, because we have pets, and it was very nice. The rooms are a bit small but very clean and well maintained. The manager was very accomodating with all of our needs. The room came with a microwave, fridge and coffee maker.
A quite motel with picnic tables near the beach. There is a new restaurant and bar next to the motel on the beach and nice family type restaurant at the end of the street. So you don't have to drive anyway. Everything is so very close.
The room rates are great, best of all this is a PET FRIENDLY hotel.
We loved it and plan on returning soon.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank oceanlover03
Reviewed September 7, 2009

This is our number one choice when we need to get away from the rat race! I think we stayed there 2 weekends a month during the year of 2007! The beachfront location, the kitchenettes and the friendly atmosphere make this a great family weekend spot. We love the tile floors because they allow NO MUSTY SMELL like some of the other little beach motels. The mattresses have been updated since Ike, and the A/C blows snowballs, so I just slept the entire first day. Boy did I need it! New towels, shampoo and soap daily. Safe atmosphere with good security.

Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 24, 2009

Stayed here July 4th. Nice place nice people so close to the beach, since it was hot we could go swim and walk back to the room when it got too hot. Has a restaurant right next door and you have to visit the Purple Cow down the street They have wonderful food and great prices.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Delhagen
Reviewed July 15, 2009

After learning that my husband was going to be out of town on my birthday, my very good friend, her 2 kids and my 2 kids got the $130.00 room. It had a little table, a stove, microwave, coffee maker, and did I mention the view was feet away? The room was a little pricey, for what it had to offer, but the beach being right there made up for that. It is a cute little place, and we slept like babies at night. Couldn't hear a pin drop outside. There is a restaurant that just opened a stones throw away(try the choc. cheesecake). The man who operates it is getting a bad rap on all the reviews I have read. In my experience, he was a man of very little words. A bit on the non-approcahable side, so if you are looking for a warm and fuzzy experience from the guy who runs the place, it will not happen. However, the sheets were clean, and the room was clean. I will certIanly be back....

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank exguamgirl
Reviewed June 23, 2009

We had to drive down from our home in the Hill Country to do some business regarding my mother's estate near Angleton, so we thot we'd add some pleasure into the trip by staying at the beach. We only had 4 major requirements: WiFi in the room (my husband does his work by computer, & we also had to do much of the estate business by Internet), pet-friendly (we never go anywhere w/out our sweet old, medium size dog), a smoking room, & near the beach.

My husband asked about the WiFi several times, & was assured that, certainly, it was "excellent" in the rooms. We reserved the room for 3 nites. When we got there, we checked in, paid for 3 nites, & went to our smoking room w/ our dog.
The room was cool & clean, but it was so TINY that it was hard to even maneuver around the bed, & there was no light in the "closet" --the only place with room to put a suitcase. The lower floor is BELOW GROUND LEVEL, so there are NO WINDOWS, & it's very DARK & close in the rooms. The TV was satellite, but was very difficult to navigate, & selection was limited. I could only get one cable news channel--& that took about 5 minutes to achieve.
Then THERE WAS NO INTERNET IN THE ROOM. It would've been impossible, totally untenable, for us to stay there w/out WiFi, which we had stipulated when we reserved.
My husband went immediately back to the desk, & was very rudely told that, "well, I have Internet in the office." And that, "we've had problems with it since Ike" (10 mos previous). He refused to return our money for that night, tho he did finally agree (after a lot of bickering) to return the other 2 nights' money, saying, "you're lucky that I'm going to return that much." He was surly & irritable all 3 times we had to deal with him.

We hadn't "canceled" the reservation. We showed up & checked in on time. We checked out immediately, not because we simply changed our plans, but because he'd lied on the phone & on his website about the services he provided.

We drove back to Angleton & checked into the Best Western there, & tho it wasn't on the beach, it made the trip pleasant, & it did have a very nice pool & hot tub, & was immaculate & hospitable.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ccunningham
Reviewed January 22, 2009

My husband had never been to the ocean and due to my asthma I can't handle hot weather so we drove to Galveston during Febuary and all the motels were booked up due to the upcoming Mardi Gra Parade. We drove to Surfside stopping at a convenience store and asked the clerk where a nice motel was. She referred us to the "Cedar Sands Motel "and as soon as we located it we loved the beach front location. The owner was very kind and helpful towards us, and the price was very reasonable. Our room was small but adequate. Yes the beds do need to be updated but other than that it was cozy. We prayed that Hurricane Ike didn't damage it and plan on visiting in the future.

all my blessings, Linda

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank dolphin731

Been to Cedar Sands Motel? Share your experiences!