“I love Texas!”
Review of Sunday House Inn

Sunday House Inn
Ranked #12 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed December 31, 2007

On a long disastrous trip from east Texas, we had to make an unplanned stop at the Sunday House in Johnsonville Texas. Nestled in a sweet little town just shy of Freddericksburg, the Sunday House has sat at the cross roads for as long as I can remember. I've stayed there a few times in the past and always got sleep with none of the hotel problems you often inherently get at other locations.
My wife and I had set out with a differant destination in mind, the Wimberly trade days. When we arrived in Wimberly, there was no way I could enjoy that crowd and confusion. Some things just don't mix well. Oil and Water, choclate bars and dash boards, crowds and me and well, I think you get the idea.
So from Wimberly we made a small circle of hotels, bed and breakfast's and even a camp sight or two. I could always run to Wally World for a tent. After a long enough juant to raise my blood pressure, I told my wife we'd just head towards Fredericksburg. I can always find a bunk there someplace! I've been huanting the area too long. Besides, it's grown like an ugly wart on the prom queen lately anyhow.
First stop, Sunday House. Room on the first floor easy access for my wheel chair, nice parking spot and we were in. Absolutely no problems! Well, except for the three old cops on Motorcycles who came in late with "Bad Boys" blasting on their radio. But I got to laughing at them. They were in the same boat I am in. the only way we're gonna be bad is be staying well armed.
Which brings up my 'attat boy' for Sunday house.
I am a long range rifle shooter and have been for some times. For this reason, I generally wear a watch with a slide rule bezel. You can figure distance with one if you know how. Finding a good watch with a slide rule bevel is tough! Paying for one ain't much easier.
Getting up Friday Morning, I place a lighter less expensive travel watch on and thought I had put my shooting watch in my war bag.
Sunday Morning when we got ready to pull up stakes and head out, no watch!
I did a shake down of the room like an ATF agent at a Columbian wedding. No watch. It took me a few hours driving to remember the last place I had it on and the Sunday House was too far off our ammended circuit to get back there, so I wrote the watch off.
Two days later, when I got home, I called and ask if any one had found the watch. Well of course no one had, so I thanked them, they cordually to my name and address stating if they found the watch, they would mail it to me.
If frogs had wings, they'd land much softer! Thanks for your time.
If an item isn't in lost and found when you call four days later, it ain't gonna get there.
Five days later, I recieved my watch as well as a pair of suspenders I had left and hadn't even missed up to that point via snail mail.
I was shocked. Or should have been. I was actually mildly pleased that what I had grown up with, the temperment, character and just plain good of the people of the West Texas Hill Country is surviving the cultural confusion and growth. Fredericksburg is pretty much developed itself off of my places I love to go. It's growing to comercialized and is as bad of a tourist trap as any port of call I made while being chuaffered around by the Navy, Less of course some fo the more tawdry assundries that went with those ports of call that simply haven't filtered in yet.
I have a few huants I'll venture in to make a call on, but it will be a drive though I assure you.
Remeber the Sunday House in Johnsonville on your travels. Give them a stay if you can.
Watch for me someplace west of the Black mountians or points north. I'm seaking an alternate escape local.
Happy trails.

Stayed: June 2007
2  Thank ThePainKiller
There are newer reviews for Sunday House Inn

Reviewed November 4, 2007

After reading some of the other reviews, I was skeptical, but went ahead and booked at the Sunday House because it seemed to meet our needs best. We reserved the delux suite which had a sitting room and seperate bedroom. It was spacious with a large changing area/vanity etc.

The room was outdated. Carpet was not that great, but overall it was clean and comfortable. Breakfast was comparable to other continentals.

The location is pretty good if you are hanginh out on main street.

Would stay here again as the suite was a good fit for a family of 5.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed September 18, 2007

Just returned from a motorcycle tour of the Texas Hill country. Stayed one night at this hotel. When I checked in I wasn't feeling too well. So I accepted the sky high price just to get in bed. I noticed when I accepted the clerk had a look of disbelief. As I said I was sick and did not feel good enough to go any further. There are several other places in town that offer cheaper and better rooms. Now that I am feeling better I regret paying this outragous price. As far as the surrounding area the Willow loop road is a must.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank cajan
Reviewed August 13, 2007

Although the location of this hotel is great, the room was horrible. For two days, there was no hot water regardless of when we attempted to take a shower. In the 100 degree Texas heat, we naturally were interested in using the swimming pool. It was absolutely filthy with a disease just waiting to happen if you got into it. This place would be the last that I stayed at ever again!

Stayed: August 2007
Reviewed April 1, 2007

We were in a group of twelve traveling to see the wildflowers, after going to eat at a great mexican resturant in town, we each returned to our rooms.
During the night, we were awoke by what sounded to be a large party right outside of our windows, (upstairs & downstairs). My husband opened the door of our room to ask them to please quiten down (3:30 a.m.), all he received was a reply asking him if he wanted to join the party & have a beer.
We then called the front desk to ask her if she could please do something, her response was "Well I just came from down there, guess I'll go back."
Eventually a guest called the local police department, which did show up (2 cars),and quiten the party,however it then sounded as if they were on the second floor walk-way jumping up & down, by now it is about 5:00 a.m.
As we were checking out the next morning, we were never told we apologize or anything. We were literally standing in the front lobby discussing this with a unknown guest and someone else in our party, and the desk clerk completely ignored the whole situation.
This was the first time we had stayed there, but the rest of our group has stayed at this hotel each year. So in summing up, if you want to be kept awake all night by parties, and wade thru beer cans to get to your car the next morning this is the place to stay.

Stayed: March 2007
3  Thank lesarobertson07
Reviewed May 29, 2006

My family and I spent the Memorial Day weekend at the Sunday House Inn and enjoyed ourselves very much. You can't beat the location, it was great to be able to park the cars and walk most of the trip. I was very wary after reading previous reviews, but found the Inn to be clean and comfortable as well as one of the few places in town to have a two bedroom suite which fit our needs perfectly. The kids had a blast in the pool. We were pleasantly surprised at the variety of fare at the continental breakfast, but wished they would have had it availabe a little later than 9:30 during the week. I would recommend the Sunday House Inn and will stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2006
4  Thank rigbychick
Reviewed May 6, 2006

Just came home from a stay at this hotel. We were traveling with my parents and two small children and explained this when the reservation was made. I asked for a suite and were told this suite had two queen beds and a sleeper sofa. My husband and I offered to take the sleeper sofa. The hotel staff knew we intended to use this sleeper sofa as I had inquired as to linens for the sleeper sofa just after checkin.

After having dinner in town and coming back to the room and watching TV for awhile, my husband and I were tired and decided to pull out the sleeper sofa. It would not come open. We finally both pulled on it with all our might and finally something snapped and one end of it became somewhat loose, but we still could not open the sleeper sofa. We finally pulled up away from the wall, turned it upside down, and my husband "operated" on it. We then found that the whole thing had been wired to where it could not be opened.

After removing the wiring, we realized that it was wired because it was in such bad shape it really could not be used. Because my parents and children were already asleep in the other beds, we had no choice but to sleep on this thing. The bed was at such an angle that it would put your head near the floor and your feet up high. So we decided to put our heads where our feet should have gone. But in addition to this terrible slant, there were also metal pieces poking thru the mattress and bars hitting your body in places that were not at all comfortable. It was a perfectly miserable night. I would have been more comfortable on the hard floor.

Another issue that wasn't totally the fault of management is that there was some sort of motorcycle gathering in Fredericksburg this evening. There were motorcycles everywhere. They parked their trucks pulling trailers across all of the parking spaces, and then parked their motorcycles everywhere they found a space -- all along the walkways, the corridor for the ice machine, under the stairways, etc. They were everywhere. Then the people that owned these motorcycles stayed up the majority of the night having a large party both indoors and outdoors. I felt like we were sleeping in a very bad neighborhood based on all the hooping and hollaring going on all night.

The next morning upon checkout my husband and I went to the front office to speak to the manager, Shari. We told her about our incident with the bed and even brought her all the pieces of wire that had held out bed shut. She explained to us that she was sorry, but that they didn't know we were going to use the sleeper sofa. I told her that this was not true, as I had asked about the sleeper sofa when making the reservations and also that I had asked about the linens for the sleeper sofa the day before. I even told her the name of the person who took my original reservation. She told me she was "sorry" but that there was nothing she could do because she wasn't the one who made took the reservation. My husband inquired why, as the manager, there was nothing she could do, and she still said all she could do was apologize.

My back still aches and I have felt foggy all day because of lack of sleep. We were charged $139.99 plus tax for this miserable room. If Shari had truly been "sorry", she would have done something to make things right, or at least made us feel better about the situation.

I believe that this establishment knows that their town is very popular and there is always another customer waiting in line for a room at their inn. So I know that this review will probably be of no detriment to them in the future. However, I felt that I should warn others that if at all possible, please give your business to another establishment. Sunday House does not deserve your business.

• Stayed: May 2006