“It's just a Cricket”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed April 2, 2013

This is an older property that is run by a couple who live on premises and cannot do enough to make your stay enjoyable. When I reported the ice machine was not dispensing ice, the gentleman offered to get me some ice from their freezer.

The rooms are very clean and the housekeeping staff is great. When I left the following morning, the housekeeper was cleaning the room next door. She made a point of coming out and wishing me a safe trip-nice gesture. The continental breakfast with delicious German pastries, fresh fruit, juice and coffee or special teas was great.

My only problem was I do not like insects. About 8 PM I noticed a huge black bug crawling around the door. It quickly decided to join me on the bed which sent me into a panic. I called the front desk and the gentleman came and said, "Oh, it's not a roach, it's just a cricket" Unfortunately seeing one bug even if just a cricket made it hard for me to sleep. About midnight after the front desk had closed until 7:30 in the morning, I turned the light on to work on the computer and saw two more "crickets"-one behind the bed that scampered behind the headboard and the other one by the TV. I stayed awake most of the night with the light on hoping that would keep the insects hiding. I didn't see them again, but when I opened my suitcase tonight where I am staying I found a half dead "cricket" inside my suitcase.

With little sleep my plan to leave at 7 AM was not possible. When I went over for the breakfast, I told the woman at the front desk who I had not seen before my sleep and enjoyment of my stay had been hindered by huge black bugs. Her reply was "It's just a cricket."

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed March 29, 2013

When staying in Fredericksburg, you have to understand that all the hotels are priced above the norm, so $109+ a night here equates $49 a night in an average city. That being said, the room was clean and the location good for my girls' weekend trip. I wasn't willing to pay for a 4-star in this town...and it was Spring Break weekend so I am sure all the rates were higher. Overall, I was hoping for more, but not surprised at the typical "motor hotel" accommodations. And the beds were a bit rough, but after a long day of shopping, I slept just fine.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This hotel would be nice except for the most important thing! The beds are hard and uncomfortable. Low to the ground and very firm. I was told that this is how they order them. So fair warning, if you like a soft pillow top bed, DONT STAY HERE!

The staff was very nice nad the breakfast was different. It consisted of pastries from Germany and they were amazing.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
whitefbg, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. I am sorry that your bed was uncomfortable. Some of the rooms have newer mattresses than others. But you are correct in stating that we do not have pillowtop mattresses like the more expensive motels/hotels. However, our rooms are very clean and our employees perform in an outstanding way when relating to our guests. Please come again.

Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

We saw the room and left immediately. Disgusting, like an ashtray with a smoldering cigar. Would NOT stay here if you paid me by the minute. Service was equally crappy, refused to move us to another room (plenty did not have check ins yet). Refused to reimburse us. Really made no effort at all. If you stay here, you would have to be insane. I'd rather poke myself in the eye all night than put up with this stuff.

• Stayed: March 2013
whitefbg, General Manager at Econo Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 19, 2013

Response by General Managers at Fredericksburg Econo Lodge. Your comment shocked us! We pride ourselves in being one of the best Econo Lodges in the Choice family. We have great housekeepers; I can't even imagine a room with a dirty ash tray let alone a filthy bathroom! We also have wonderful Guest Service Agents at the reservations/check-in desk. They simply do not give our guests a difficult time, but are very welcoming, knowledgeable and helpful. We have a good team and decent hotel. Your comments are not the norm and have been reviewed with our staff. Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Even if negative, they spur us on toward high expectations and better staff performance.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

In a tourist town like Fredericksburg where all hotels are overpriced, it can be really tempting to stay at the cheaper Econo Lodge, but DO NOT make that mistake. This motel is possible the worst place I have ever stayed. Beds are hard and worn (you can feel the springs in the mattress when you're sleeping), bathrooms aren't clean (roach in tub) and toilets rarely flush. Even the paint on the walls is coming off. The pool had a weird green color that made me want to run away. Between my whole family, we had 5 rooms there one weekend and we all had the same experience.

This place is horrible! Even though Fredericksburg motels are overpriced, it's well worth it to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: June 2012

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. Negative, as well as positive, comments help us stay focused on our mission to provide a satisfactory lodging experience to each and every guest. Your review is not the norm as earlier reviews reveal; there are great reviews even since you stayed in June 2012. We take pride in our motel and believe that it shows in the way we care for the property. Our Guest Service Agents and Housekeepers are a great team. I will review your comments with them. I was surprised to see that you are just now commenting on a stay from June 2012.

Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

For the price it is an excellent stay..mattress felt like $49 a night room..woke up very stiff and uncomfortable... shower water temp varies if someone uses the sink or flushes in neighboring rooms..from freezing to scalding... will stay again..just prepare for next time

• Stayed: January 2013

Thank you for posting your review. I am sorry you were uncomfortable during your stay. Some of our rooms have newer mattresses, but I agree some still need replacing. The rate of $49 is a special rate we run every January and February. Thank you for coming and please stay with us again.

Reviewed December 31, 2012

My husband and I wanted a short get away in the middle of the holidays, we did a little driving trip thru the Hill Country and decided to forego the 189.00 room we usually spring for and stay a little less expensive. I found the Econo Lodge on line the night before and reviews were good, so we decided to stay there. For 90.00 anight, we got a VERY CLEAN room and bathroom, a mini fridge, a microwave, more than adequate linens, and QUIET! We loved after a long day of driving, being able to park our car within 4 feet of our room door and unload our luggage. The room was not fancy, but also had a very large leather chair for reading or watching tv, and the room was very clean. I felt very comfortable here and was very happy to have the extra 100.00 in my pocket for shopping! Don'thesitate to stay here based on price alone or the fact the hotel was a little older. AND I had no issues with plumbing or the combination heating/ac unit.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 107 and were very pleased.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple