“Wonderful German Pastries”

Ranked #11 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Temple, Texas
“Wonderful German Pastries”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2007

Only stayed one night. Stayed in a King Non-Smoking room. Everything was very clean and furniture looked new. The desk clerks were so helpful in picking out restaurants in the area. I only paid $59 for a Sunday night which was less than the other hotels surrounding the EconoLodge. I would definitely stay there again when I go back to Fredericksburg.

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank BillKennedy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Dallas, Tx
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2006

I am a bit of a hotel snob (I do not frequent 1 star hotels) so that must be taken into consideration when weighing this review.

Staff-friendly and most importantly spoke clear English (most hotels I called in the area there was a major communications problem)

Breakfast-fabulous German pastries. Downside-- no cold beverages--not even water--so my two year old had a choice of coffee, tea, or cocoa. There were also apples and bananas.

Location--I felt safe without my husband--but I did have teen boys with me. Close to a HEB grocery store. Close to the Historical shopping area. (But not walking distance like some of the hotels I saw)

Pool--a joke unless your kids have never had access to one and are completely desperate to get into water.

Room--carpet felt sticky and seemed to have some food items smeared into it in spots. I did see that carpet trucks were on the property replacing carpeting. Ours was coming up where the carpet met the ceramic tile of the sink area. We had a corner room with three queen beds and a rollaway. I think there are two such rooms. The room smelled heavily of some kind of fragrance used to mask odors. Still, we got used to the smell once we were in the room for a while. One teen son declared that he got a headache within seconds each time he entered the room. The bathroom was fairly clean. There were some asthetic issues with glue splillage around the tub turned black and areas around the walls where the rubber trim doesn't meet up (leaving holes).

We would stay here again only if we could find no other rooms of a higher quality. We felt we were roughing it by staying here--but again we never stay at 1* properties. I must stress that we WOULD stay here again if we had to. It wasn't so bad that we wouldn't...

Be sure and visit the National Museum of the Pacific War (we went two days and still wanted more). Also, if you like chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and green beans--you have to try Andy's Diner! They are famous for their chicken fried steak!

• Stayed March 2006
5 Thank Readaloud
New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2005

Well, they took my 2 dogs, which was the reason we stayed here. But the room had quite an ant problem, which was not too pleasant. Clean enough, staff very friendly. Would not choose again due to the insect issues, though.

• Stayed October 2005
Austin, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2005

The Econo Lodge in Fredericksburg, Texas, had the cheapest rate I could find on the net. The room was very nice. Recently remodeled. Nice tile work in the bathroom, new furniture, and good AC. Free fresh pasteries for breakfast were excellent. Staff very nice and helpful. Bed was OK. A/C worked great.

3 Thank scoaggie
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2005

I guess Fredericksburg is famous for bed and breakfasts. But I was travelling solo, was getting into Fredericksburg late one night, and then pushing off early the next morning -- basically, I didn't want to deal with the hassle of a bed and breakfast. EconoLodge turned out to be a great option. Room was clean, furniture seemed new, bathroom had recently been remodelled and was spotless. Front desk staff was the most helpful I encountered in three weeks of touring across Texas (seriously helpful -- answering your questions about Fredericksburg rather than just giving a rehearsed routine). Location was pretty convenient -- a brief drive to Main St, and if you don't want to pay tourist prices, there's a big HEB on the way there. Only possible drawback was that the next morning, I heard a bunch of traffic going by on the road out front; but I guess the moral there is, if you don't like the sound of traffic, don't stay in a motel. For $50 (the on-line price, for December) this was a great deal; I'll bet it costs more during the peak tourist season, but even still, if you don't want to stay in a b-and-b, this is a good option in Fredericksburg.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
philadelphia, pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2004

The Fredricksburg TX Econolodge is one of the best affordable motels that I have stayed at. The rooms were recently renovated with comfortable bedding, remodeled bathrooms and quite nice furniture. It is located close to town so that one can walk to attractions. The owners really seems to care about providing comfortable accommodations. Very clean! To top it off, they served authentic German style apple turnovers for breakfast that were so fresh and gourmetlike. They complemented the history of the town which was settled by many Germans who emigrated West during the 1800s.

• Stayed January 2004