“A beautiful complex, but we had some problems...”
Review of Hoffman Haus

Hoffman Haus
Ranked #9 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed May 24, 2006

* Breakfast was good.
* It was a beautiful setting for my daughter's wedding reception, unfortunately she did have some problems with the management regarding the contract and promises that were made while in the planning stages of the wedding that did not materialize. Thank goodness these were very transparent to our wedding guests and they enjoyed the evening....but they were very stressful to my daughter.
* The website picture of the room had a fireplace; however, there was none....and that was one of the reasons for my picking that room.The room also had no microwave either, when it was publicized that there would be one....and even after specifically asking the owner for one, it was never delivered as promised.
* Porch seats were dirty, to which this was found out too late.

So, if you are staying as a guest then you will probably enjoy your visit. However, if you are planning an event, I hope you have a better experience than my daughter did.

Stayed: April 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Dallas, TX
Reviewed May 21, 2006

I could go on and on but frankly I don't want to waste any more of my time worrying about this place so this will be short. We recently held a large event at the HH and basically had the facility to ourselves. The bottom line is that the manager is a cook with seemingly no business experience and few people skills who was given control of the facility by the owner. Just a few examples of the kinds of issues we faced. We had to insist (strongly) that they honor things that they themselves had put into our contract, verbal agreements with management were useless as to things that would be done/provided, and they didn't even want to honor the quoted prices on rooms for guests (even with a printed copy of the reservation/rate)! If we had had the time to move our event elsewhere, believe me we would have. Don't let first impressions fool you. Their belief is you should be thankful they are allowing you to do business with them.

Stayed: April 2006
8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Management response:Responded June 13, 2006

If Hoffman Haus earns bad marks from a guest, I am all for seeing the grade posted so we can acknowledge our shortcomings and take immediate corrective action to ensure it continues to deserve the support of its guests and local community. However, when Hoffman Haus has not earned a black mark a response can be problematic.

Family members who stayed at Hoffman Haus for the wedding of two members of their families posted this review of Hoffman Haus and one it accompanies. Posting a “review of the reviewers” is tempting but probably not constructive for people who access tripadvisor.com to gather information to use in making their own travel plans. To ask all Hoffman Haus’ satisfied guests to post reviews describing their own experiences while staying at Hoffman Haus seems self-serving and not in character. Like Hoffman Haus itself, we are pretty low-key, modest people who are all about providing good value and excellent service in a beautiful and comfortable setting to travelers seeking the peace and quiet of what has been described as “Fredericksburg’s elegantly eclectic enclave”. To engage in a long point-by-point defense in response to inaccuracies and untrue statements would be equally out of character and would likely generate additional “bad reviews” from these individuals.

So, my response will be limited to the actions taken that are part of the public record for the weekend for which we are “reviewed”: two police calls made regarding guests’ behavior after Hoffman Haus’ security guards left for the evening. It was the first time police were called to our property since the current owners Leslie and Hugh Washburne purchased the property early in 2004. As for professional security guards and off-duty police officers, we normally do not engage their services for private events held on Hoffman Haus’ property. However, when a member of the wedding party publicly urinated and stripped down to his shorts in front of staff, guests, and vendors on his arrival Friday early-afternoon, local law enforcement and other vendors on the property who had contact with the wedding party strongly advised us to provide guards to protect guests, staff and the property’s historic buildings.

Weddings are stressful. Expectations are high. The fantasies of a lifetime often are played out as the bride walks down her aisle to meet her groom. Everyone at Hoffman Haus, including its owners, staff, consultants, vendors, and security personnel, did their utmost best to provide a gracious and beautiful venue for what should be a joyous and sacred day for bride, groom, their family and friends. I am deeply sorry that in this instance the reality of the day did not live up to the participants’ fantasies.

Catharine Vinson
The manager specifically referred to in one of the negative reviews as “a cook with seemingly no business experience and few people skills” whose business experience totals 30+ years and whose last position (pre-retirement) was as General Manager and Vice President for a publicly-held multinational corporation.

Reviewed May 1, 2006

My fiance and I stayed at the Hoffman Haus while attending a wedding this past weekend and absolutely fell in love with it's charm and hospitality. The room we stayed in made us not want to leave! We enjoyed every aspect of our stay. Food was wonderful and the staff made us feel at home. If you are looking for a place to stay that is truly Fredericksburg from the rooms, decor, grounds, food, and warm hospitality this is your place.

• Stayed: April 2006
4  Thank Bucfvr
Reviewed April 23, 2006

Having stayed at many wonderful B&B's over the years, I will have to relunctantly say my husband and I were unpleasantly surprised at the condition of the Hoffman Haus property. The gardens were a mess, the fountains didn't work and everything just looked as if it needed some TLC. Being the gardener that I am, I was tempted to grab a broom and rake to tidy it up myself. The rooms were clean but our patio was full of leaves and the patio furniture was so dirty you couldn't use it. The breakfasts were actually not bad, but nothing like we have grown accustomed to at other B&B's. I regretfully would not recommend Hoffman Haus.

• Stayed: April 2006
3  Thank chaaad
Management response:Responded May 18, 2006

The guest who left this comment was right: the gardens were less than pristine when they stayed with us. When they were here our part of the Texas Hill Country was in the middle of a couple of weeks of hailstorms, windstorms and flooding rains after months and months of drought. Our new landscaping, as well as our mature plantings took quite a beating and our cleanup efforts were first directed to removing uprooted trees and flooded buildings. Watching three months of work by our landscape architect and planting crews nearly drown was hard on everyone at Hoffman Haus -- guest and staff alike.

The rains have stopped, the sunshine is out, and our year long relandscaping project is back on track. Our landscape architect posted a photo taken a couple of weeks ago of our Texas Garden. Considering all our storms and hail, I think it looks pretty good for a young garden and hope the guests who were disappointed will come back for a visit to see how our gardens grow.

San Antonio, TX
Reviewed August 28, 2005

I wanted to search for a nice, classy place for my wife and I to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary (and my recent retirement, after 26 years in the USAF). I came across the Hoffman Haus, on-line, under “Top Rated B&B’s in Fredericksburg, TX.” I wanted somewhere that was romantic, quite, and unlike any place we had been before (without the children of course & as a surprise for my wife). I hit the jackpot! The owners, Leslie & Hugh, along with Catharine, the manager, immediately made us feel welcomed, like close family and/or old friends. Their hospitality is second to none. They have really put their hearts and souls into this place. Along with the unique, “out-in-the-country” setting, you will find the different suites/rooms and a very nice garden area to walk thru or just sit in. There is a large Conservatory, complete with an area for a banquet or wedding, a formal dining room, and a library with plenty of books & videotapes for guests to use. Here, along with the other friendly guests, we enjoyed “happy hour” from 5-7 PM complete with complementary wine, wonderful hors d’overs, and beautiful, live piano music. It was an excellent finish to each day and relaxing beginning to our romantic evenings. We truly enjoyed getting to know the other guests, who found the Hoffman Haus as exciting and unique as we did. Leslie and Hugh spent time getting to know everyone and went out of their way to ensure any special needs/requests were met (such as dietary needs for breakfast). Along with Catharine, they’re the most down to earth, family oriented, friendly people you could ever meet.

A delicious, carefully prepared hot breakfast was delivered to our door each morning, in a wicker basket, complete with cloth napkins. Our “Alamo Suite” was, clean, very spacious, romantic, exciting, very well decorated and well worth the cost. We had everything we needed in our room, including a nice balcony to sit out on, over looking the courtyard from our second floor suite. The Hoffman Haus is just a little ways off Main St in Fredericksburg and very close to everything, although you would never know it. The out of way location gave you a feeling of privacy and that we were much farther away from the tourist area. I recommend you visit their website to see how beautiful and different the Hoffman Haus really is. We plan on returning with the entire family very soon. I have highly recommended this bed and breakfast to the owners and co-workers of the firm where I work, as well as all our friends.
Our thanks to all the folks at the Hoffman Haus for making our 20th wedding anniversary, one we will always remember.

• Stayed: August 2005
12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bay City, TX
Reviewed July 13, 2005

Ladies- If you are looking for an excellent hide away where you will be pampered and petted, look no further than the Hoffman Haus Bed & Breakfast in Fredericksburg, Texas!
I recently ventured forth on a Sunday through Thursday retreat with a few friends with the plan of "just sitting quitely and smelling the flowers." With a little (quite effortless) pre-planning, I worked with the very charming Manager of Hoffman Haus to create the retreat of my dreams. I scheduled breakfast to be delivered to my suite or served to the group in the dining room on different days. We even breakfasted in the garden, which is a haven unto itself! The manager also provided access to a very skilled young woman chef who created wonderful menus for Lunch, Tea, and Dinner to be prepared and served as we wished. There were heavenly soups and salads created entirely of fresh, locally grown produce. And desserts worth the extra calories and fat grams consumed! The gentlelady also very graciously scheduled spa services for us at the Herb Farm, and a special Chef's Table dining experience at the very popular restaurant, Cuvee.
I stayed in the Basse House in the large suite with the most divine garden tub! I must admit that after viewing the possibilities, I jumped in my car and drove immediatly to the Herb Farm and procured a selection of soaps and bath salts. Not a day of my soul reviving retreat went by that I didn't spend quite a bit of time with a great book in that awe-inspiring tub! In the evenings I was embraced by the calm, cool decor of the room and the wonderfully soft linens. My friends and I felt completely detached from the world during our stay. We were so refreshed that I know we will schedule another visit quite soon.

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 12, 2005

I had heard that this property had new owners who have spared neither expense nor attention to detail to create an elegant and welcoming home-away-from-home for people looking for top-notch accomodations in the Hill Country. My daugher and I just had to book a room to see for ourselves.

We weren't disappointed. I haven't seen an inn or b&b this well done in many years (especially in Texas!). The rooms are quietly sophisticated: down comforters, leather sofas and chairs, good paintings. Fantastic antiques. A mini-kitchen with china, gourmet coffee (french press!). Baths with highest quality fluffy towels and deluxe bath soaps and such. Gardens that offer shade, quiet, and reflextion. A gorgeous library totally at the guests' disposal (and filled with wonderful books and vidoes).

A proper breakfast delivered to our door promptly at 9 a.m. Complimentary appetizers and wine served in Great Hall every evening with the owner in attendance to fill us in on the property's history and the area's better attractions.

I can't heap enough praise on this gem. When my daughter is ready to marry, I will suggest (strongly!) that her wedding plans include Hoffman Haus. A garden wedding was in rehersal when we visited and I can see may daughter now taking her vows in the seclusion and grace of this lovely spot.

• Stayed: May 2005