“Never even stayed there and already feeled ripped off”

and 1 more site!
Back Forty of Fredericksburg
Ranked #65 of 82 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 10, 2011

Well we booked a room for memorial day weekend but had to cancel, mind you this was just two days later,so I called the lady that runs the place and told her our reasons for the cancellation and she told us there was a 35 dollar cancellation fee which was not on the website by the way, so we said fine. Today we look at our statement for our credit card we used and it already been charged over 500 dollars for services that had not been rendered? i called the lady that runs the place and she tells me that she will not credit my card until the cottage had been booked,that was their policy which was supposed to be email to us but never was.I get into an argument with her and she has promised to refund my card within two days, we shall see. DO NOT EVER GIVE THIS CRAZY LADY YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER! DO NOT EVEN GO HERE! BE WARNED! There are made up policies which are not stated on their website. So please do not give this place any business!!!!!!!!! Sorry for any grammar mistakes I am just so mad right now

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Terry77536

Reviewed January 25, 2011

A good place to be tranquil, but look out for a little neglect. The cottages have a kitchenette, but I took a plate out to use, and it was greasy. The grounds have great places to relax, very romantic. The bed was big but sort of soft. There was a nice fireplace and plenty of wood .Even without the fire; however, the cottage was nice and warm. The place is roomy, but you have to traipse downstairs to go the bathroom.
You have to call and ask for the WiFi code: but the reception is weak, so the connection doesn't hold. There were dust bunnies here and there, but we would probably go back just for teh serenity.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 4, 2010

If you are looking for peace and tranquility, sit beneath the two magnificent live oak trees on the bank of Baron's creek. Fish, birds, and butterflies abound without the noise of the city, truly a unique place. The breakfast "delivered to your room" was excellent, fresh berries, homemade sausage, thick sliced bacon, pecan pancakes, and quiche was over the top. A note - not all rooms have a full breakfast, make sure to check when booking your reservation. We will be back to the "Back Forty"/

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BPJ04
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Our stay at the BackForty was not good. The bed was extremely uncomfortable. It was so soft in the middle it sunk, while the head and feet area stayed up. It was like sleeping in a small trench. Sleeping on the floor would be preferable. That was the "BED" part. The "BREAKFAST" part was equally as pitiful. It consisted of a large plate of old, cold, store-bought pastry in the refrigerator. There was a small bottle of milk and OJ. We travelled to the BackForty with another couple and stayed Friday night and Saturday night. We did not request any "packages" and we all prepared to leave by the prescribed 11am checkout time on Sunday morning. Only the other couple had received info concerning checkout. We slept in, showered, loaded the car, and were ready to go into Fredericksburg at 10am to eat breakfast. The owner, Patricia, met us at the car and asked the women if they were ready for their massages. We were all flabergasted! That had NEVER been mentioned or discussed. The women would have loved a massage but they declined due to everyone had already showered, it was time to leave, and everything was already packed. Now comes the good part. When we got back home, I checked the on-line credit card account and we had been charged an extra $75 for a massage! I found a link tonight that indicates that owner/innkeeper, Patricia Collins, is wanting to sell this property (http://www.bedandbreakfast.com/InnsForSale/tx-fredericksburg-6795.html) NO DOUBT. My wife and I have stayed at numberous B&Bs around the Southwest and West and this place was absolutely the worst.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank hoglover09
Reviewed December 9, 2009

We were pleasantly surprised at the cost of this place for what we received. The electric was not up to code, open wires, broken light bulbs, cob webs, and doors that either didn't open or open with a 12 ft. drop off with a simple sign saying "please leave door closed" - major safety hazard. We were charged extra than what we told and when trying communicate with owner she told me I misunderstood our conversation on the phone. We had to ask for breakfast the second day - and she quoted "let me see if we can get you some." The European spa was a JOKE - it was a freezing COLD room with no privacy that they make the reservations and the woman was late. I would not reccommend this place for your money you can get much better. Although the outdoors and scenerary was nice - the other issues far outweighed the price we paid for this. The so called Kingsize bed was two beds together that came apart and there were no curtains for privacy. A few times when I tried to call I didn't get an answer. It was certainly a hassle for us. We were never told check out time and then harrassed by 4 phone calls asking if we were "out yet" and then she mentioned her cleaning lady would be mad at her for our extended stay when it wasn't posted anywhere. She mentioned it was on our paperwork which it wasn't and she mentioned this was first they'd made a mistake. Very unprofessional and not worth the price. You will be charged extra some how...I just wished I had read the reviews first - they are all true about money and not getting what you pay for.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fortworthtravel
Reviewed November 18, 2009

I have been to the Backforty for two summers in a row, and it is fantastic. A friend and I went in 2008 for the first time, and we had a blast, so as a result of our wonderful stay, we went back again in the summer of 2009 and again had an amazing visit. The owners are phenomenal, and we will definitely be going back again.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank danapurple
Reviewed November 9, 2009

Several of us had the reunion of a lifetime at the Back Forty of Fredericksburg. Pat and Bill, our B&B hosts, treated us to the best BBQ with live music and amazingly delicious food. We got the true taste of the hill country of Texas in every way. Breakfast served to us daily made us all feel like royalty. Pat included spa treatments for all of us and recommended the best local entertainment and activities that we could squeeze in each day. Every night we enjoyed their beautiful swimming pool and hot tub, where we were able to reflect upon the best vacation that all of us had had in many years.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends