“Filthy dump w/ poor food”

Alamo Springs Gen Store & Cafe
Cuisines: American, Bar, Cafe, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
“Filthy dump w/ poor food”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

We exited our car to be greeted by the overwhelming smell of garbage, which grew worse the closer we walked to the "restaurant." (I use the word "restaurant" lightly as it's really a shack.) That's because patrons must walk past a couple of overflowing dumpsters located right next to the "restaurant." Upon entering we were greeted by a floor heavily strewn with food and the overpowering smell of grease--think of McDonald's greasy smell times ten. Everything was coated in grease: tables, chairs, condiment containers, menus, etc. On each table sat a six-pack cardboard box acting as the condiment and napkin holder. The boxes were covered with old food stains and were disgusting. We had to discard most of the napkins as they too were covered with food stains. The menus were also covered with old food stains, enough so that we felt we needed to wash our hands after ordering. Even though the place wasn't busy, it took thirty minutes to get our food. It was a miserable wait as the chairs and benches were beyond uncomfortable (two of us had to use prescription pain meds afterwards), it was sweltering inside (though it was a mild evening), and the grease stench was so overpowering that everyone's eyes began to water profusely. Three in our party thought the burgers were terrible and the other three thought the burgers were mediocre. The consensus was the burgers were extremely greasy; the buns were dried out; the French fries were soggy, greasy, and undercooked; the onion rings tasted strange; and the filth and smell were bad enough to make us lose our appetites. We left 3/4 of our food. We've all eaten at hole-in-the-wall establishments several times but none have been dirty like this place. Steer clear of this dump and save yourself time, money, and a backache.

Sugar Land, Texas, United States
“Burgers!! Mushrooms homemade chips!!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Absolutely fantastic!! It is hard to find but worth it! It's across from old tunnel so follow brown signs off old San Antonio road. Burgers are the best but so are the extras! Portabella fries, homemade potato chips goat cheese and roasted garlic crostini!! Great service too!!

“Worth the Drive!”
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Takes a little drive to get there, but definitely worth it! Probably the best burger in Texas! Great atmosphere, great service!

Houston, Texas
“It has to be good”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Given the location, off of a small road (Old Tunnel Road) that few people except locals and motorcyclists even know about, it has to be good. And it is. I had the green chili cheeseburger. Taste was excellent (though I prefer chilis with more kick). And onion rings. And malt. I could hardly get back on the bike.

• Visited April 2013
Burnet
“mmmmmmmm Gooooood!”
Reviewed June 21, 2013

My husband wanted to surprise me and get me out of the house. He asked if I wanted a burger. Two hours later we pulled into this little out of the way place that didn't look like much of a place to get a burger. Boy, was I wrong! Now I feel like I've lived all my life in Texas and never actually had a real burger until then. That was THE single best burger I've ever tasted! DELISH!!! Not only was the burger good and the service amazing - the drive through the hill country with all the wildflowers blooming made for an absolutely wonderful day!

• Visited May 2013