“Nice motel for visiting Fredericksburg”

Sunset Inn & Suites
Ranked #10 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Mineral Wells, Texas
“Nice motel for visiting Fredericksburg”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Old motor court hotel that has been well-maintained. Rooms had been painted recently and had newer flat-screen tv. Beds were good and linens clean. Property description said it had been totally redone, but it had old porcelain bath tiles and carpet was fine, but didn't look new. The tub itself was clean but some tile had mold. Air conditioning worked great.

No one was in office when we wanted to check out at 8 am, so we left key in room. Not sure if that was okay, but there wasn't a key drop box either.

No breakfast included, but restaurant on property. If you want a fitness center, you can use the nearby hospital's center for a $10 day pass.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank jkcalcote

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Krum, Texas
Reviewed June 23, 2014

I booked this hotel mostly due to price and to save some money to stay at a B&B another couple of nights. We stayed here along with another couple (different rooms but same experiences). We are in our mid/late 40's and they are in their late 30's. Staff was very friendly and nice. The place is a motel with all the rooms facing into the parking lot. The room was exactly like the pictures listed. Updated furniture. Our room had a flat screen TV, coffee maker, fridge, and microwave. Our friends had a boxy tv and coffee maker only.

On initially inspection, I saw 2 beetles/bugs on the bathroom floors that were dead. I dismissed it mostly due to price and my home ain't perfect either. All 4 of us initially said - pretty good deal and would stay here again. We went and grabbed some dinner and came back to sit in the parking lot with some chairs that were available outside. (it was a nice night)

The love affair changes: Shower was good and water was hot; however, the soap was confusing at is actually HURT to use and had no suds. Towels were TINY and don't plan to use it to cover your body. I went to bed and pulled the sheets away to go to bed to see a small dead spider under the covers. I brushed it off and got into bed. The next morning I remarked to my husband that I kept shifting sides that I slept on because my hips were hurting. He commented that the sheets kept grabbing his leg hair. I never thought we were sheet snobs but I guess we are. We all agreed the sheets were more like fine grade sand paper and were not soft at all. My mom uses 180 thread count and I sleep fine so I have no idea what was wrong with these.

Overall it's a decent place. Relatively clean and a great location but probably not within walking distance from main street. If you are wanting to save some money for wine or shopping then this is a great place! Honestly, I might bring my own sheets and soap and do that again some day!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2014

I was kind of disappointed with this Older motel. The price was fair but everything in the rooms seemed very dated. Several light bulbs were burned out. The grout in shower was molded. The shower drained very slowly and backed up into the tub. It has been quiet. If you're used to at least a continental breakfast this place has none. Doors don't automatically lock. Location is very good, about a mile so off of Main Street. I would probably not stay here again unless budget was my only consideration.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed April 27, 2014

First time in Fredericksburg, TX and wanted a basic motel for a couple nights. The pictures advertised were definitely not what we got and I was not pleased with the shabbiness of the bathroom area specifically. Needs updating soon. The parking lot has been black-topped crazily with a large incline nearly impossible to drive over and around. Not sure I'd stay there again. When I asked the owner for a good breakfast restaurant, I was directed to another one away from their own restaurant. That spoke volumes!

1 Thank Nancy H
Cleburne, Texas
Reviewed April 12, 2014

A great, clean, place to stay that is not overpriced at all!!! About a mile from Main Street. Wife and I make a couple of trips a year to Fredericksburg and we have decided it will be the place to stay. Nothing fancy or over the top, but if you want a quiet place, friendly place; this is the one!! The Sunset Grill next to the Motel has Awesome breakfast!!!! A definite hidden gem in Fredericksburg. If I was to say anything negative, wife and I will bring our pillows from home next time as the pillows are great but are sooo soft, it was almost like not having one. But, if you like your pillow like that, then you are good to go!!!!

3 Thank JF76033
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Just a few blocks off of main street on HW 16.it was a nice location away from main street noise. Our room was just as other reviews have stated in every way, and a nice way to save some money to spend on the wines in the area ( the reason for our trip ). We came in on a Tues. evening and the older nice man at the front desk needs to learn more about the local restaurants, because when we asked him about a good Bar-b- q place he dident know of any, ( of which there are several ) so we just found a place to eat that night that was just okey. I do want to strongly recommend the Cabernet Grill On HW 16. One of the best dinners we have had in a long time. We learned of it from one of the wine pours at the wine tastings. Go, Go.. Also the breakfast at the Sunset Inn is very very good ( note, it is closed on Weds. ) Hope this helps, yes we would stay there again....

4 Thank KEG19
Austin, Texas
Reviewed March 25, 2014

Most of the lodgings in Fredericksburg are pricey. This place is a great alternative. It's laid out like an old-style motor court where all rooms are on a single floor and face out into the parking lot... Benches to sit outside the rooms.. Rooms are clean, simple - nothing fancy! But quite comfortable. The motel is just a few blocks from downtown, so it's easy to get to anything you might want in Fredericksburg. Being a little bit "off main" has a real advantage in terms of quiet.

The walls are a little thin, so you might want to turn on the window unit fan or bring a white noise generator. Occupants of both my neighboring sides were quiet, but that's luck of the draw. In the morning, a gentleman sat outside on the bench for a phone conversation.. if I were not already awake it might have pulled me out of a sound sleep.

The Sunset Grill is attached and has an excellent breakfast.

I would stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends