“Pretentious Nonsense”

Ranked #35 of 139 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: NAVAJO GRILL We are a unique dinning establishment nestled deep in the heart of historic Fredericksburg, Texas. Our unusual blend of Hill Country craftsman-style architecture, modern finished and Southwest inspired design is only the beginning. Every detail blends to create an unforgettable dining experience. Whether you prefer the more formal dining inside or the casual atmosphere of our rustic limestone patio bar, you'll enjoy Southern cuisine that has been perfected with an old and new Mexican influence with a touch of New Orleans & Caribbean flavors.
Waco, Texas
“Pretentious Nonsense”
Reviewed October 15, 2008

I read the newspaper clipping about the owner of Navajo Grill posted by the restroom--he made his money in another field and as a mid-life crisis opened a resturaunt. Knock me over with a feather--this is a rich man's toy resturaunt! Silly combinations of flavors and textures. Cheese plate hate everything but cheese. Crab cakes too spicy for my partner to eat. Would be a perfect intervention for Gordon Ramsey and kitchen nightmares--hired some young chef who makes overly elaborate and odd dishes and prices it way out of market. It is a pretty location, and if you dont know food but want to pretend you do, you can show off here. But Austin has many resturaunts that are better--and you can have a better meal for half the price elsewhere in Fredricksburg.

1 Thank neuroshrink

San Antonio
“Very Disappointing.”
Reviewed October 6, 2008

After a fun day of shopping and enjoying Oktoberfest, my party of six was looking forward to a celebratory evening at Navajo Grill. Knowing it would be a busy weekend, we had made reservations weeks in advance. I have eaten at this establishment for either lunch or dinner almost every time I visit Fredericksburg, and it has remained a favorite. I have fond memories of many special meals here. I was extremely disappointed and dismayed by our dinner on the evening of October 4, 2008. Although we were promtply seated on the covered patio at a lovely table, the rest of the evening was a disaster. The menu was more limited than I remember it being, and the least expensive entree was still more than $20. None of the menu items looked particularly inspired, appealing or worth their hefty price tags. The $8 Ceasar salad was small and nothing special--wilty romaine slathered in basic dressing with a couple of croutons thrown on top. Our waiter, who had been quick to bring our first round of cocktails, disappeared after taking our dinner orders. After our appetizers, we waited almost half-an-hour for our entrees, and when we were finally served, one of the ladies in our party received the wrong menu item. After five minutes, a rude woman (the manager?) with a thick Texas drawl (she called me "darlin" every other word) explained that our waiter had "punched the wrong button" and we could either wait "15 or 20 minutes" for the $33 filet mingon that had been ordered, or they would just have to bring back out the incorrect menu item which she could have, gratis. None of our very expensive dinners were particularly good or particularly warm--the plates had likely been sitting for some time. Ultimately, the owner came to our table to attempt to rectify the situation, but there was not much he could do at that point. We all agreed that we would not return to the Navajo Grill.

1 Thank SAFoodie08
Texas
“BEST food, service & atmosphere in FBG”
Reviewed September 13, 2008

Navajo Grill serves the best meal in FBG, bar none.

The minute you enter this beautiful restaurant, the hostess (cutest redhead, ever!) greets you with a friendly smile & warm hello; the entire waitstaff is superb & the food is the absolute BEST & most consistent in town. The owner walks from table to table to ensure that everything is satisfactory -- a real rarity these days.

On our last visit, I enjoyed the salmon cooked to perfection; the veggies were fresh & prepared perfectly -- the kale is to DIE for. My husband had a steak that was prepared just how he likes it. Make sure you leave room for one of their fabulous deserts! Evi waited on us this time -- outstanding service & personal attention.

Note: if they're extremely busy, you might have to wait a bit (HINT: go to McDonald's if you want a FAST meal). Navajo serves a meal to be savored & enjoyed.

Since this quaint little town is a major tourist destination, you never know how busy they will be. On your next trip to FBG, make reservations at Navajo -- sit down, relax, enjoy a cocktail or bottle of wine from their great wine list, order one of the fabulous appetizers & enjoy the slower paced Hill Country lifestyle... then prepare yourself for a great meal & phenomenal service.

beaumont tx
“Go to August E's or The Nest forget this place.”
Reviewed September 3, 2008

My letter to this place:

I wanted to let you know what i feel about your restaurant. First of all we have visited the wonderful city of Fredericksburg many times.
We were married at the Full Moon Inn and we love to visit the local restaurant of choice for us August E'S.

We were sent this labor day packing to the hill country because our city was evacuated. I am 8 months pregnant with a 21 month old toddler. After a long trip in the car (6 hours) we so looked forward to a nice dinner out in the city we love.

We decided to try something new. We have been to The Nest and August E's and have never had any problems with those places. My husband is from Illinois originally, he is a scientist and that is what brought him to southeast Texas where we reside. He is quite taken back by the natural beauty and just overall pleasantness of the Texas hill country. We were last there in April and his parents flew in from Illinois and we will be back again.

I made reservations at your restaurant and the man i spoke with was very very nice. I asked if the place was child friendly he laughed and said we can be and just seemed like a cheerful fellow. We were pretty excited once we arrived your place is very beautiful. Very nice atmosphere. That is where my compliments cease however.

Your staff is rude. The red headed woman that seated us was most unpleasant and when I saw where we were seated with a child I asked to be moved outside. This clearly annoyed her. She took us out there only to say we could not sit in the covered area it was all reserved. Then she quickly pointed to another table in the uncovered area and said oh you may not sit here either it is also reserved. It was a larger table and I did not ask to be seated there but that was fine. We had the cheese plate, the children's chicken, special of the day (fish), and my husband ordered crab cakes. the cheese plate came out really fast and that was nice, but it really took you forever to bring out the rest of the meal. while we were waiting though I saw a family come in with a boy that looked to be around 12. They had him sit outside near us to "keep" this table they had picked out while the adults went inside to deal with the red headed rude hostess you have working for you. I heard them say to the boy sit here to hold this spot and he did. She then came out and sat that family down in the seat she told us was "reserved" give me a break. Obviously they did not have reservations. Again I did not ask to be seated there, but why lie to us? Strange.

When the food came out a waiter not our horrible waiter that had to be hunted down to refill our drinks, brought my husband a steak. When I mentioned that was not what he ordered the guy kind of scoffed I bet you wish this had been what you ordered and did not say anything like I am sorry sir your food will be right out or anything. Maybe that is because he knew the food would not be right out anytime soon. My daughter and I were almost done when you finally brought my poor husband his meal. He was almost ready to tell you guys to forget it and he never ever does that. I recently joined trip advisor and I will be ranking your establishment believe me. I thought in the mean while you might like to check out what others have to say about you as well not a surprise to me. By the way the covered area was never full so we could of been seated there as well. Thanks a lot!

Mrs. Aubry

1 Thank daagea1
Colleyville, Texas
“Classy Dinner for Couples”
Reviewed July 30, 2008

I'm picky, really picky. Candles, fresh linens, immaculately clean, amazing modern/western decor (I used to design resort hotels). Look, this is great. I had creamy corn soup and salad with feta (great feta), and hubbie had scallops. Dessert was decadent chocolate torte. Service was personal yet professional. Go here for tastefully prepared food and nothing pre-made, prepackaged, nor microwaved. This is the real gourmet--and my hometown is Dallas/FW area with lots of restaurants. I'm picky!