“Bloom is off the rose.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Trois Estate at Enchanted Rock
Ranked #29 of 80 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Winnipeg, Canada
“Bloom is off the rose.”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was a one off stay, enroute back to Houston, after a 10 day tour of West Texas. Family members had stayed before, in 2008, and found it charming. Plan was to enjoy visiting the unique landscape of Enchanted Rock, and stay in Trois Estate. Vanessa, the manager checked us in, and generously gave us an upgrade. Our rooms were The Botticelli, and The Titan. (Orginal rooms were Cielo, and Troisi) Vanessa showed us our rooms, and we settled in. The Titian suite has two large comfortable fabric couches, lovely to lounge in, nice roll top writing desk with chair, antique wall clock, garden style iron table and two chairs. Wooden four poster frame around bed, with two wooden end tables. Huge armoire against wall which housed small flat screen T.V. Fireplace, fridge, coffemaker, china coffee cup and saucer.
Bottcelli room has one faux leather small couch, with a rickety coffee table in front. Same large four poster framed bed, however not one other stick of furniture. No luggage rack, no low bureau, no steamer trunk, nothing to place anything on except on bare cement floor. No end tables, nowhere to place eyeglasses, alarm clock, water glass, etc. One standing lamp, broken. Empty walls, emtpy floors, and nowhere to hang any article of clothing. In the washroom, the shower curtain was hung backwards, and the plastic stall floor was cracked. All the towels were placed on one circular handtowel rack. Two bathtowels, two handtowels, two face towels, all bundled up on one small circle. (Quite ingenious of the housekeeping staff to get them all in there). Several screws in the wall suggest there once was large pictures hanging there. Small roll top desk, no chair, but not functional or useful. Tattered curtains were tied in the middle of window with small piece of ribbon. When attempting to untie, to close curtains, everything fell off, curtains & end peices, the rod, the lot, knocking over the little garden table. Broken wine glass everywhere on cement floor. Grounds were thoroughly roamed, few guests at this time of year. Dinner was not offered, so we made do on our own.
Breakfast was fixed menu, small bowl of cut up fruit, lovely scrambled eggs & potatoes, fresh orange juice, coffee. Light, but enough to get one going. Paid $10 to visit the Cap Gun Museum. Enjoyed seeing the Mexican or Peruvian wooden doors with the sliding bolts and locks. Felt it was poor showing for the money, however, it was an Texas experiance. Would have loved to be able to turn aback the clock, and visited when it presented great Italian dinners & wine, exciting displays in the curios cabinets, free admission to the cap gun museum, and it was operating at full throttle. Must have been a magical venue then. Alas, those days are long gone. Interesting, quirky property, but drive up for the afternoon, and save your hard earned money for a B&B elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
7 Thank takeme2thehil2n

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
New York
Reviewed March 7, 2014

This was a nice weekend getaway - a short drive from Fredericksburg so we had a chance to stroll around the town and visit some wineries, and just a minute away from Enchanted Rock which was our main destination for a day hike. The B&B is definitely unique - the rooms have interesting furnishing and decorations. Although way different from your standard hotel, it was still comfortable and clean. Small refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker in the room. I've never stayed at a place that uses padlocks on the doors! It was fun to walk around the grounds and the grotto was particularly interesting...I wish it were warmer so I could have tried swimming in it. Breakfast was included - pretty standard but better than continental. Dinner is pretty good, worth trying although it is $55. My only complaint would be that we were sitting at the table for 20 minutes before the waiter acknowledged us and brought us the menu (it was prixe fixe so not that we really had to pick anything off the menu, but it was a little strange sitting in that small dining room for so long without anyone acknowledging our presence). If you are on a budget, go into Fredericksburg for dinner - lots of options there.

Overall, I do recommend this place for a weekend getaway, especially if you want to be close to Enchanted Rock. It is very different from the standard hotel. It's a little on the pricey side for what you get...but for one night it might be worth it just to experience this place. I can see how previous reviewers thought this place is creepy....but no problems for us there since there were other guests. But I would not want to be staying here alone!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Texas
Reviewed February 24, 2014

This little Tuscan village with a view of Enchanted Rock is a lovely hide-away. Rebecca prepares a scrumptious dinner with wine. The beds are comfortable and rooms spacious and well decorated. They are poorly lit though, so you may want to bring along a make-up mirror. This is a great couples' weekend get-away and wedding destination.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Austin
Reviewed January 27, 2014

My husband and I just returned from Trois Estate from our third visit there and we were not impressed. Our first visit was during the summer of 2007 and we both loved the place. It was smaller then with fewer buildings. We decided to return and stay in a larger room. Finally returned in 2009/2010 and stayed in the Bridal Suite. We enjoyed the larger room and had a great meal at the restaurant. We learned from our first visit to bring some light snacks and wine with us. We noticed they were building other rooms and buildings then. Fast forward to 2014. We decided to stay in one of the new rooms to try them out so I booked our two-night say in the Titian Suite. Also booked dinner reservations. Got a call the day before we arrived that there were maintenance issues in the Titian and they were moving us to the Botticelli suite. No big deal. We arrived on a Friday afternoon to a deserted place and had to call Rebecca's cell phone to check in. Again no big deal. When we got to the Botticelli suite, I found it to be much smaller than what I thought from the website photos. Oh well, that was no big deal either. I wasn't impressed that the microwave sat on top of the small fridge and required some finesse to keep it from falling each time you opened the fridge. The electrical cords for both hung precariously and unattractively next to the coffee maker. The next thing I noticed was the clock on the wall was obviously broken. It had a glass plate missing and the clock hands were knocked into the middle of the clock. I remember thinking it would be better to have nothing on the wall then an obviously broken clock there. Oh well. Then I went to the bathroom to find the smallest bathroom I have ever been in as far as walking room. The Jacuzzi tub is quite small and does not fit two people. The bath mats were very small (18 inches x 24 inches) pieces of cheap, thin carpet. We noticed that the shower stall had broken fiberglass on the bottom pan They made attempts to repair it but when you stepped on it, it creaked and felt like you were going to fall through it. We also discovered that it was difficult to regulate the water temperature in the shower. It was either scalding hot or freezing cold. Not fun. Later that night, we were greeted with guests going to the suite next door (the Titian) and could hear practically everything they did or said. It was a little embarrassing because I could hear them in the bathroom, which means they could hear us also. That was when I started to get upset. We paid very good money to stay there ($249/night) and expected better accommodations and quality for this price. Their standards have clearly gone downhill since our last stay. It only gets worse though. I also noticed the bathroom mirror trim had several stains on it and didn't appear to have been cleaned for quite a while. We stayed there during a major cold front and were pleased that the heater worked. The issue was the vent blew the hot air right onto you while you were sleeping. It was gusty enough to blow your hair around and it was quite noisy. It woke us up each time it came on. I have to admit that the bed was very comfortable and the five-course dinner was very good. However, we will not be returning. I would not have paid $100 a night to stay in accommodations of this quality with such poor workmanship and cleanliness.

Room Tip: Do not book the Titian or Botticelli suite. Small bathrooms and paper thin walls.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank dnasmyth01

Travelers are raving about these Fredericksburg hotels

Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Excellent experience! Trois Estate was amazing, and all the staff was really nice! My friend and I stayed there for a night because we wanted to go to Enchanted Rock that day, and go to Fredericksburg the next one and it was a great choice. They called us to ask when we would arrive to make sure someone would be there to welcome us. Rebecca, the owner, was really nice and showed us around the place. The breakfast was really good. It is really relaxing and nice, great for a getaway weekend.

It is only 20 min away from Fredericksburg so you can visit that great town and then come back and relax. It is just 3 min away from Enchanted Rock so it could not be better. They are still constructing some buildings and trying to grow and I think once everything is finished it will be really popular. Right now, it is probably a great place to have weddings but during other days they do not get a lot of business, so you will probably be the only one there or there will be at the most 4 other people.

But it really is a great place and I will definitely go again and recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Chose any of the villas. Bella Villa was great!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
College Station, Texas
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This place takes you to a different place in a different era. My husband and I went there for a weekend getaway and absolutely loved it. I was worried about the mixed reviews, but after reading the poor reviews and then going- I think those that did not enjoy the place didn't research the place first. The website and pictures make it very clear that this is a unique and rustic place. If you are wanting some ritzy, high class hotel with no originality- then yes, this is not the place for you. But if you have appreciation for uniqueness and foreign beauty, or a sense of exploration- this place is amazing. You are within a mile from Enchanted Rock if you are interested in seeing the scenery, or if you'd rather not hike- walk up to the estate's rooftop for a phenomenal view. The food was top of the line and delicious, the atmosphere was rustic and beautiful- with a touch of mysteriousness. Also, the staff was extremely welcoming and made you feel like you had known them for years. We did not leave disappointed and will DEFINITELY return. The only thing that would have made our experience better would be if the underground grotto had heated water. We would have loved to take a swim, but the water was extremely cold. Certainly didn't take away from our rating though, because afterall- it is December. Don't let the poor reviews deter you- unless you know that you aren't open minded and prefer generic/pristine hotels. Otherwise, go and enjoy it! It's an experience and establishment that my husband and I won't forget and doubt we will find another place to top it! Thank you Trois Estate!

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank paigeimme
Texas
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Pro; It's unique
Cons: You'll probably be the only ones there.
The place is a work in progress, which detracts significantly from the general atmosphere.
You'll be miles down winding roads from any restaurant or grocery store unless you spring for the $55 plus tax and tip per person at their restaurant which is lovely but has mixed food reviews.
The rooms are great if you enjoy cold/tile/western with very poor lighting and no night stands. To be fair, the bed, rugs, and bath were fine.
I would not stay here for $100 less per night than the charge.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple