“HOMEY, RELAXING, YET CLASSY PLACE” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Farm Haus Bistro at Fredericksburg Herb Farm

Farm Haus Bistro at Fredericksburg Herb Farm
Ranked #28 of 132 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American, Contemporary
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Eating in a garden environment, with fresh fruits, vegetables and herbs, is unique these days. What is even more unique is a talented young chef who prepares food with a passion. This fine restaurant is setting standards found only in a few of the larger cities. The historic rock house, built in the late 1890s provides the core of the restaurant.
Kerrville, Texas
“HOMEY, RELAXING, YET CLASSY PLACE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

There's a gift & herb shop, walk through herb & butterfly garden, huge spa, lots of pastel cottages with front porches (including chairs & swings) and a lovely restaurant with adjoining bar. What more could you ask? It's a great spot for taking your picture in a garden setting and ideal for a honeymoon weekend.

Visited May 2012

Houston
“Amazing Restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

We stayed here in February and loved it. The restaurant is fantastic. Even if you're headed to Fredericksburg and planning to stay somewhere else, you should definitely stop at this restaurant while you're in town if you want a romantic evening and amazing food.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank acd87
The Woodlands, TX
“Superb meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

The new owners have made significant changes to this lovely herb farm. Granted, the bucolic charm has been replaced with a spa, cottages and a modern restaurant, but we found the changes, at least in the restaurant as we did not experience the spa or the cottages, to be unexpectedly positive. We were warmly greeted by the owner, who showed interest in our dining comfort. The servers were always present but unobtrusive. Our meal was well prepared, starting with the tasty crab cakes accompanied by a sobee salad, although the combination of warm crab cakes and cold salad was a little confusing. My osso buco was perfectly prepared, as was my husband's chicken under the brick. We shared a dessert of orange rosemary rum cake, which my husband thought he would only have a taste of and ended up trying to argue me out of the last bite! The wine list is impressive and we were pleased with our moderately priced choice. The amuse bouche strawberry with balsamic vinegar lacked creativity and we did not care for the shooter of cooled hot chocolate with chile, but all in all we greatly enjoyed our meal and will definitely recommend this restaurant.

1 Thank suitcasegirl61
Austin, Texas
“a disappointment”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We arrived to a beautiful setting with growing herbs, greenery, attractive outbuildings, and rocking chairs on the porch. Our group of 5 ladies were anticipating something special, but left feeling disappointed.
We did arrive early for our reservation and were happy to wait and chat, but wondered why they didn't ask if we would like to be seated earlier when we walked into a less than half full dining area. Our server gave us menus and would answer questions if asked, but was not forthcoming otherwise. We ordered a few appetizers and they arrived in a timely manner. That's where the evening started to slide downhill. the "bruschetta" was a slice of French bread with a large glob of pasta sauce on top. Cheese may have been involved, but was not discernible from my end of the table. The lady to my left ordered crab cakes (tiny) that were served with a lot of angelhair pasta on the side. Strange. The wedge salad was as expected and generous enough for two.
We were then treated to a quarter of a small strawberry covered in balsamic vinegar. Obviously we were to consider it a palate cleanser.
Then we waited - and waited and waited. The server did apologize, but didn't offer an explanation until after the food had finally been delivered, "the chef was out and it was only the sous chef and the dishwasher in the kitchen tonight." Things happen, sure, but we should have been informed from the get-go and allowed to make the decision as to whether we would would be willing to spend an extended time in the dining room. The server did take $25 off the tab.
Bottom line: Long wait, staff not as knowledgeable as they could have been, mediocre but pricy food. And to top it all off, one of the ladies was so flustered by the experience that she left her billfold - which was not recovered.

7 Thank beetree
Austin, Tx
“So sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

Was so excited to go to Fredericksburgs Herb Farm. I have been going for years and had not been in over a year, so I was very surprised when I drove up and saw the changes. I am sure if I had never gone to the original restaurant I would probably be more excited about the cute cabins, herb farm and spa. However, to me it lacks all the charm and uniqueness that it used to have. I think it seems too big and commercial now. The food seemed more typical of an average restaurant, it just didn't have that "WOW" factor it used to. I used to tell people in Austin that you had to visit this little known gem, were I had some of the BEST meals I have ever had in my life - in the world! Fresh herbs, inventive menu. It just seems so superficial now, I didn't notice any herbs in my meal and it just didn't seem organic, fresh, or creative. It's a lovely atmosphere, just lacking the character and amazing food it used to have.

7 Thank kateawol