“Perfect place in Fredericksburg for large family gathering!!!”
Review of Cotton Gin Village

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Cotton Gin Village
Ranked #9 of 80 Fredericksburg B&B and Inns
Hubbard, Texas
“Perfect place in Fredericksburg for large family gathering!!!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

"The Big House" at Cotton Gin Village was absolutely perfect for our large family getaway last weekend. Delicious pastries delivered daily, granola and plenty of coffee, juice and bottled water were enjoyed each morning on one of the many porch swings or rockers. The house was very "livable" so that our large group (12 adults) never felt crowded. The staff was extremely accommodating with plenty of fresh towels and linens. Covered parking was ample and convenient to the "Big House". The first night we were there we realized a couple of the porch lights weren't working....not a big deal except they were the ones that should have illuminated the horseshoe pit and the "young" people had challenged the rest of us!! No problem...one call and the gracious & accommodating Innkeeper was there to rig up some temporary lighting for us!!! Dining at the Cabernet Grill (just steps away but feels completely removed from the House) was as excellent as it has always been when we've visited Fredericksburg. I can't say enough positive things about our weekend.....Thank you Cotton Gin Village for a memorable weekend with our family.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Tyler, Texas
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We and two other couples stayed at A Big House for the weekend. There was plenty of room, particularly in the common areas. We enjoyed the fire pit and eating dinner on the west porch (we pushed several of the small tables together to make one big table for us to gather around). The kitchen had everything we needed equipment-wise for the cooking that we did (breakfast one morning, dinner one evening).

The beds themselves were comfortable, although the two upstairs were so high that even the tall men had trouble getting up into them. And those of us short-legged women, well, we nearly had to be hauled up and jump down.

Worse thing about a Big House was that it was a Big very-poorly-constructed House. Several of the electrical outlets were installed upside down. There were light switches that we never did determine what they went to. The couple in the downstairs "master" suite had trouble sleeping because of the creaking floors every time someone walked upstairs or rolled over in bed (and we weren't even doing thing "fun" to make the noise!). My friend in the master suite had really looked forward to relaxing in the jacuzzi but found it pouring out water after she started filling the tub.

The other major complaint was that this was another "B&S" ("bed and snack") rather than a true B&B. The "breakfast" consisted of day-old muffins or pastries from a local bakery left on the counter and milk or juice in the refrigerator and a coffee pot to make the coffee in. We've noticed this seems to be becoming a trend. We never once actually met the owner(s)/innkeeper(s), which makes the whole "B&B" experience not such.

Room Tip: get on the upper level so you can at least sleep through the night - or get earplugs like our friend...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Galway
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Based on good reviews we booked to stay here for one night during a trip to Texas. After a hectic few days in Austin and San Antonio it was just what we needed. We arrived on a day that the restaurant was closed and despite initial disappointment a good bottle of local wine and some tasty local tex-mex helped us get over the initial disappointment.

I loved the cabin (we stayed in the Red River North), it was warm, comfortable and had a great atmosphere. The Cotton Gin Village is not inexpensive but is worth it for a special occasion.

The only criticism I would have is that on arrival the main office was closed so we left and went away for a few hours. When we returned it was still closed. We decided to walk around the property and realised our key had been left at the door of the Red River North cabin. It would have been nice to get into the cabin sooner.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Georgetown Texas
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

We found the Pecos cottage to be well equipped and very comfortable. As we are older, some B&B are less than user friendly. Cotton Gin Village is certainly the exception.
The grounds are lovely, we particularly enjoyed the coy fish pond and the pomegranate tree.
So great to have the Cabernet Grill to stroll to.
Breakfast exactly as advertised, pastries, granola, fruit , juices and many tea and coffee choices. While not a hot fresh cooked breakfast, one that can be enjoyed in your pajamas, even on the porch.
We look forward to our next visit here.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Michele D
Texas
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I wanted to surprise my husband for his birthday by bringing him to Fredericksburg for a romantic B&B weekend. We arrived on a Friday afternoon. The grounds are beautiful and the refurbished log homes/cabins are fantastic; very comfortable. The restaurant was closed for our entire stay but that was fine I had no problem finding somewhere else to eat. (the owner also left us a few recommendations) We entered our room and found a table with muffins and fruit. I thought that was a wonderful welcome - snack. We have been to many B&Bs that put out fruit and cookies and sometimes wine/cheese. Turns out that this was breakfast. I was very disappointed. I have never been to a B&B that doesn't serve a warm meal. I really thought that we were in for a gourmet breakfast, since the B&B is attached to a highly rated restaurant. Again, that was OK because there is a place in town "Java Ranch" that serves coffee and breakfast tacos. All in all we had a wonderful peaceful stay. The noise from the road is very minimal.... it did not disturb my sleep one bit. I just wish I would have been aware of the no real breakfast ... my husband is a BIG breakfast guy and was not happy with - muffins. My husband kept informing me that even the Holiday Inn Express serves waffles! Oh well - live and learn. We were also in need of ice for our drinks.... the ice machine was broken with a sign that says to get ice from the restaurant - which was CLOSED.
Thank goodness for HEB! I would still recommend the place to anyone.. the atmosphere is great... you just may want to search for a nice place to have breakfast as you enter town.

Room Tip: If you are an extremely light sleeper the Pecos Cabin is one of the closest cabins to the main road...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 11softballmom
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 5, 2013

WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. My husband booked a room for Friday and Saturday evening at the Cotton Gin for our anniversary. To ensure the weekend was a surprise, my husband mailed my gifts to the front desk and arranged for a florist in Fredericksburg to have a bouquet created for our room. Unfortunately, a tragic and unexpected death in my family prevented us going to Fredericksburg that weekend. My husband called the Cotton Gin to alert them when we found out we would not be able to make our stay. He then called the florist and requested the bouquet of flowers be delivered to a local nursing home. After receiving a voucher for a stay two night stay between SUNDAY-THURSDAY, I decided to call the General Manager, Ross Burtwell, to see if he would be willing to work out a deal since we would be traveling from out of town and can only stay on a Friday and Saturday evening. I proposed we pay a reduced rate or fee and turn in our voucher in exchange for a Friday and Saturday night stay. The General Manager proceeded to explain how there is no leniency in the policy, spoke down to me as in a demeaning tone, told me I am lucky to have received a voucher, and HUNG UP ON ME! BEWARE of the 'customer service' you can expect.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sarah H
San Antonio, TX
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We had visitors to town that wanted to do a Wine Tour and we all decided to spend the night at the Cotton Gin instead of driving home. The cabins are nice and big, well appointed, and comfortable. The cabins have fireplaces and they leave out the makings for Smores if you are so inclined.

My wife said the one drawback was the noise from the nearby highway all night. I sleep with ear plugs so it didn't bother me.

We had dinner right there at the Cabernet Grill so it was very convenient.

Highly recommended