Cotton Gin Village
Best Western Plus Fredericksburg(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$110
Very Good 4/5
Comfort Inn & Suites(Fredericksburg)
$63
ComfortInn
Good 3.5/5
Peach Tree Inn & Suites(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$59
Great 4.5/5
La Quinta Inn & Suites Fredericksburg(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$105
$163
$149
Very Good 4/5
Inn on Barons Creek(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$129
Great 4.5/5
Sunset Inn & Suites(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$56
Very Good 4/5
Hotel Kitsmiller on Main(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$69
Good 3.5/5
Sunday House Inn(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$111
Travelocity
Very Good 4/5
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Fredericksburg(Fredericksburg)(Great Value!)
$180
$150
HIExpress.com
Great 4.5/5
All reviewscabernet grillbig houseget awaybreakfast basketbig rockhorseshoe pitrustic appearanceafter a day of wine tastinggraham crackershill countryeach morningdelivered promptlyroad noisesoufflelog cabinmy husband and iindividual cabins
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We came to Fredericksburg for the wineries, shopping, and history. One of the members of our group has health issues, and I wanted to find lodging that would be a great place to hang out in case she did not feel like getting out. An ordinary, boring hotel room that looks like any other just would not do, and sometimes in B&B's you just don't feel like you have much privacy, so the little log cabin village looked promising.

The Cotton Gin Village was an excellent choice. All four of us really enjoyed our stay there. We stayed in the Llano and Pecos cabins, and they were both nicely decorated with antiques and reproduction period pieces, both large and small. The breakfast of pastries (yes, as others have stated, bring a ziplock bag with you to keep them fresh!) and granola, with coffee, juice, and milk was more than enough to get an excellent start in the morning.

After sight seeing, the front porches were the perfect place to hang out and enjoy a glass of wine. The grounds are beautifully designed and manicured, with a fountain/water feature in the center of the complex, with more antique and vintage farming items scattered about and incorporated into the scenery.

Regarding the downsides: Like others have stated, the bed is high (a step stool is in the room) and the tub is difficult to step out of (sit on the side and swing your legs over and you'll be fine). We are in our 50's and 60's and had no problem dealing with any of this, but if you are disabled it might be a problem for you. Also, someone mentioned a lack of hangers for hanging clothes. I don't know about the other cabins, but our cabin (Pecos) did have a wardrobe in the bedroom with hangers. And, yes, it is right next to the highway. Our room had one of those white noise machines which would help if the highway noise bothers you, but we never used it. I guess after long days of museums, shopping, wineries, and great dinners with live music, we just didn't need it.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay, and when we return to F'burg, we will definitely try to get reservations at the Cotton Gin Village.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank CnJ-TX
Reviewed February 17, 2011

My wife and I received a free weekend at the Cotton Gin as a wedding present and decided to use it for a nice Valentine's weekend getaway. The location is a little out of the way which was fine for what we were looking for, but if you want to be in the middle of things, you should look elsewhere.

The cabin was nice. We really enjoyed the wood burning fire place which is only available during the winter months. The bed and bathroom were pretty much your typical hotel type amenities. Breakfast was pastries that were brought to the cabin the day before. Not my favorite, but they were good enough.

Overall we had a good experience, however, $200 a night is overpriced for what you get.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2011

For $200/night, I did not sleep because the mattress was so old it caved in the middle, and the two flat pillows were also uncomfortable. The decor is old and the hvac system was difficult to regulate. The cabin should be completely updated with a comfortable mattress and pillows at the very least. The restaurant on site was good.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 29, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Cotton Gin Lodge in the Llano Cabin recently. Overall, we had a nice time, it was a positive experience, and I likely will recommend it to my friends.

Now I will share some of our experiences. First the good: We were pleased with the appearance of our log cabin. It was very cozy, had two rooms - the main room with a little kitchen area which had a small breakfast nook, a sink, a coffee pot, a small refrigerator and a microwave. This room also had a nice leather couch and a nice sized TV (not sure of the size).

The 2nd room was the bedroom. It had a queen sized bed, a night stand, a nice jacuzzi/shower, a sink, and a little "watering closet" where the toilet was located. Both rooms were well decorated, and there were many antiques throughout. The bed had a wooden frame and was very attractive.

The cabin has a nice sized porch with a rocking chair built for two. This is a perfect place to sit outside in the morning and just enjoy the beautiful grounds. The grounds themselves were very attractive - first you have the restaurant, followed by several small log cabins that looked very similar to the Llano which we stayed in. There is a court yard area between the restaurant and the cabins with a fish-filled pond, various plants and shrubs, a seating area with several tables with chairs and a firepit (this would be the perfect place to gather with friends or family at night).

Now the not as good (not horribly bad either). It is in a rather hidden location, off of Boos Road (rather than on Hwy 16 as the address indicates). The main room of the cabin was very comfortable, I can't really complain about that. The bedroom had a few issues, that I think people should be aware of before staying here.

1) The bed is extremely high. While this is attractive, it is not the most comfortable situation for people like myself and my husband (in our 40's and 50's) who have a hard enough time getting into bed without having to step on a stool to get there. You literally have to use a stool to get up on the bed. Okay - this looks nice, but it is not practical. Quite honestly, we both would have been happier if we had a king sized bed that was not as high. In addition, the mattress was not as comfortable as we would have liked - it seemed to sink in the middle.

2) The toilet in the watering closet would not be a big deal, except for the fact that the watering closet does not have a door. Instead there is a Mexican blanket covering the entrance. While my hubby and I have been together for a while, this could cause some awkward moments with a couple who hasn't been together long.

3) The jacuzzi tub was REALLY nice - however, taking a shower in it the following morning was rather awkward. The shape of the tub made it difficult to keep the shower curtain placed in a position where water would not leak out. In addition, getting into and out of the shower was difficult, as it has extremely high sides. This would not be an issue for most people, but it was for us since my husband has had both knees replaced. There is a handicapped compliant cabin on site, maybe this would not be an issue in that cabin (I'm not sure).

One more complaint - not related to the bedroom, the lodge was advertised as having wi-fi access, I was able to access the wi-fi, however, was unable to access the Internet. This could have been an issue only while we were there, but if you are a person who is 100% dependent on getting on the Internet daily, you may want to ask if their internet is working before going there. I decided that I could live a couple of days without Internet access, therefore, did not complain or say anything about it.

Sometime during the day (while we were sightseeing), our cabin was cleaned, the bed was made, supplies were replenished. We were provided with fresh pastries, coffee, milk, apple and orange juice, as well as toiletries. The room was kept very clean. The pastries were placed in a basket with a cloth napkin around them tied snuggly. Thankfully I knew about this since I had read other people's reviews on this site, so we bought some plastic bags to place the pastries in the night before. This kept the pastries fresh and they were good the following morning.

There were no closets in the cabin, however, there was a rather large coat hanger in the bedroom where you could hang a few items. However, they did not have any coat hangers, so if you need to hang your clothes, you will need to bring your own.

Overall, we had a nice experience and I would recommend this to others. My main source of dissatisfaction was probably the bedroom and the bed, as my husband had a hard time sleeping. But personally, I slept like a baby. I read other reviews where people said it was loud because it is so close to the highway. Well, this is true, it is close to the highway, but neither my husband nor I were bothered by any sounds on the highway, as it is not a major highway and there is not a lot of traffic at night.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Goldielocks512
Ross B, Owner at Cotton Gin Village, responded to this reviewResponded February 22, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We take our guests comfort seriously and have taken many of the “cons” you outlined here and have tried to correct them.
First off, we have lowered the height of the bed mattress by five inches in all of the cabins, and we have also provided a small step stool as well. The mattress have all been upgraded, the one you slept on was actually brand new but we discovered there was a defect in the workmanship, so we replaced them with a much better product.
As far as the bathrooms go, we have added hardwood doors to all of the “watering closets”, so the privacy issue has been addressed.
The Jacuzzi tub does have high sides and there is not much we can do about that as that provides the depth to the tub that so many of our guests enjoy relaxing in. We did however add grab bars to ease entrance and exit from the tubs that had the greater depth.
We do supply free wi-fi for the cabins. From time to time, the router needs a good re-boot and that takes care of the problem. We are always happy to work through any issues are guests are having, but we need to know about them first.
The reason so many of our guests choose to stay with us, instead of a traditional bed and breakfast is due to the extra privacy we provide in the individual log cabins. A part of this is the continental breakfast which is delivered daily to the cabins the night before. This way you are not having to get up at any particular time, or sit with a bunch of guests you do not know around the breakfast table. Just like any quality bakery, we do not see the need to place our fresh pastries in a plastic bag, but we respect your choice to do so.
Our 1800’s log cabins did not come with closets, but we have added wardrobe cabinets with hardwood hangers to all the cabins except the Guadalupe (just could not fit one in the loft), where we choose to place a dresser instead.
And as far as any “light sleepers” we have added white noise machines to all the cabins as well.
So we hope you see that our guest comfort is a primary concern and we are always striving to make our guests experience here better and better.

Reviewed May 22, 2010

The room is cute and clean! No fire to make s'mores. The continental breakfast is delivered the day before so you can have stale pastries! Please this guy is a gourmet chef? Lazy Chef! We ate at your grill. Not impressed! We came a day early to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary! Excited based on the cute cabin and let down with the first cocktail! Don't waste your money at Cabernet Grill! Totally over rated!