“It's All About The Pool (And the Smores!)”

Fredericksburg Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed September 18, 2008

If you want to keep your young children happy and still enjoy some of the more adult appeal of Fredericksburg (shopping, beautiful outdoor atmosphere of the Hill Country) the Fredericksburg Inn is really great. Especially for just a quick, low-key, weekend vacation.

I mean, a room is a room when you're traveling with small kids, and theirs are about as nice as you might expect from any other midrange hotel/motel experience.

But the pool and outdoor areas are wonderful. The rock slide is a huge hit, but not too intimidating for my four-year old. The pool with it's waterfalls and large family-size hot-tub is really pretty, not too deep, and not too big.

Plus, you are so close to the "main strip" of Fredericksburg you can hang out by the pool and still feel like your part of the atmosphere of the town (like hearing the sound of local bands float down the street as the staff starts to light candles at all the outside patio tables around the inn's quaint little courtyard).

But our favorite memory was making Smores at the poolside rock fireplace (you just buy a little "smore kit" at the front desk). We are not camping-outdoorsy-wilderness-types, so this was the first time our little boy had ever roasted a marshmallow. And he got to do it while we sat in the hot tub and watched the Food Network on the outdoor flat-screen TV. Pretty neat.

1  Thank carryonmom

Reviewed September 18, 2008

I had a wonderful stay at the Fredericksburg Inn & Suites. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the pool area - which was BEAUTIFUL, not crowded at all and included a hot tub and fireplace area with a flat screen TV. We even saw that they offered a s'mores package for guests to roast marshmallows at the fireplace!

The room was clean - nothing fancy but a great value.

The hotel is located just 1/2 a block (walking distance) from the strip which was nice - especially after spending the evening drinking at the microbrewery.

The service was pleasant - checking out was a breeze. The warm continental breakfast that included kolaches was a bonus.

Overall, I think this hotel is great for families with children of all ages and get togethers. If you're wanting a quaint bed and breakfast this might not be the place to stay.

1  Thank kathleenthomas3000
Reviewed September 17, 2008

I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone. We received wonderful service from the staff. The rooms were very clean and neat. Our stay there was very comfortable and welcoming. I will definitely stay there again.

1  Thank KoolKatTexas
Reviewed August 19, 2008

We were very dissappointed with this hotel. When we pulled back the bed sheets, it was clear they had not been changed. The pillow cases were also dirty and so was the blanket on the bed that also had holes in it and looked decades old. Replacement bedding arrived promptly but, as with the towels, it is clear that nothing has been renewed in years. The room was large but grubby looking. The air conditioner very noisy and when a loud group of people started making noise in the middle of the night the management did nothing to help. We go to Fredericksburg often but will never stay here again, there are much better options.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 15, 2008

I booked the hotel for the pool and was not disappointed in that area. The kids spent hours on the slide and swimming in the pool. Breakfast was okay, and it was a nice touch that beverages are available all day long. I agree with other reviews about the room. It wasn't as clean as I had hoped. When we first arrived it looked okay, but as the day went on, I kept finding things. The staff was friendly, but our room was not ready until after 3 even on a slow day. Several other people were sitting around waiting also. As much as the kids loved the pool, I probably would have looked for something else if we stayed more than one night.
It was an easy walk to the shops. Be aware that most of the shops close early, so don't wait until the evening to go. We ate at a good Mexican restaurant called Mamacita's. The food was good and service was fast even though they were very busy. Don't miss the bats at Old Tunnel-only a 10-15 minute drive! On the way out of town, we stopped by Luckenbach. If you are going for nostalgia visiting anytime is fine. Bands play on the weekends and probably bring out the true picture of the tiny town.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank Momo3boys
Reviewed August 1, 2008

The pool and grounds of this hotel are wonderful. They have 2 pools and an outdoor sitting area with a flat screen TV and a fireplace.....very nice. If you plan to spend most of your time outside and don't care what the room is like then you will enjoy. The room however was absolutely awful! We booked a King Suite (which we dubbed the Not so Suite) with pullout sleeper for our family of 4 for one night. The first thing we noticed upon entering was the room smelled terrible and the bathroom appeared to be clean but smelled like pee. The sofa was stained beyond belief and I actually felt guilty for making my kids sleep on the pullout as it was practically unbearable. If the carpet had been cleaner, I think the floor would have been more comfortable. The king bed was also very uncomfortable...it just felt like the cheapest mattress and linens they could find from a secondhand store. The towels were all old and dingy. I couldn't even believe they were still using them...they were actually so old they were turning yellow. And the AC was extremely loud. We were very disappointed for the price that we paid. Because we were only staying overnight we didn't bother to ask for a different room and I highly doubt we got the only bad room anyway. On a positive note, the staff at check in was very friendly and helpful in obtaining bedding for the pullout. (although I'm not sure why it isn't in the room to start with) The continental breakfast was good and the location is convenient and as I said before the pool area is wonderful with 2 pools, a slide, and hot tub.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank rjintx
Reviewed June 18, 2008

I contacted the property, spoke to Jennifer, who was the most kind and helpful person I've worked with in getting my accommodation's in order. This was the first time my family and myself ever stayed in Fredricksburg and really didn't know what to expect. This property was beautiful, quite, lots of grassy area and I will not hesitate to stay here again. We were really impressed with the property. We will definitely stay again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family