“Disappointing”

Ranked #58 of 139 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse
Good for: Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Catfish Haven is a catfish joint, but that's not all we are! We offer steaks, grilled fish, salads, burgers and our New Orlean's style Po-Boys. All our entree's come with our 21-item salad bar and our hot veggie bar, which consists of pinto beans, fried okra, and the veggie of the day. SO, if you leave here hungry, it's your own damn fault!
San Antonio
“Disappointing”
Reviewed October 27, 2010

My husband and I had dinner here during a recent trip to Fredericksburg. The restaurant was hopping with local families. Most of the meals came with a trip to the salad bar which was mediocre at best. My husband ordered the 13 medium fried shrimp with french fries, and I ordered the fried shrimp and fried oyster plate with a baked potato. The medium shrimp were clearly frozen with the batter on them--nothing to leave home for. The fried oysters were battered with a cornmeal batter which was very hard and loaded with chili seasoning. We won't plan on going there again.

Houston, Texas
“Wonderful!”
Reviewed July 8, 2010

The best chicken fried steak around! My husband has eaten chicken fried steak all over Texas and found this to be the most flavorable and tender. He was able to cut it with his bread and butter knife. Now, if you like heavy batter then you will not like this. The cfs filled the entire dinner plate and was served with a salad and vegetable bar all for $8.95 (Wednesday dinner special). I ate 1/4 of the chicken fried steak and my husband ate 1/2. Enough for two people to share. Only suggestion was the white gravy could have had more seasoning. Service was great and price was wonderful. The owners even came out to meet us when they found out we were from the Houston area.

Fredericksburg
“Liked it years ago but now it's terrible”
Reviewed April 25, 2010

We visited Catfish Haven regularly over 8 years ago and it was always very good and consistent. But in the last few years it has deteriorated. We tried it again a few days ago and we will never try it again. The coating on the shrimp was very salty and the baked potato was inedible. It had obviously been cooked much earlier in the day and dried out. They were out of green beans and did not refill the container until we were almost ready to leave. My husband's catfish was tasteless and he always used to rave about their catfish. Their salad bar was acceptable.

1 Thank kirbyscott
Michigan
“Simple southern fair”
Reviewed February 2, 2010

Much more variety than the name of the restaurant implies. I had the crab cakes, my wife had the salad and veggie bar. She loves fried okra and what she had was very good and freshly made. They have a large and a small chicken fried steak and I watched a big burly cowboy order the small and pronounced it good and just enough - can't imagine how big the large size must be. Buttermilk pie for dessert - yummy. Great local spot.

1 Thank nichpr
Ontario, Canada
“Great restaurant!”
Reviewed February 2, 2010

We went for the luncheon special. Drinks, salad bar, three piece catfish dinner with fries or baked potato for $7.95. It was excellent. Unqiue, friendly, good service! Would go back in a minute!