“A Great Find”

Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed March 5, 2009

Older world charm complemented with the best service and excellent food---a surprising find in any town.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,738)

Reviewed March 4, 2009

My wife and I were in Fredericksburg to celebrate our 11th anniversay. We decided to try the Cabernet Grill on the spur of the moment. It was incredible! The food was well presented with very generous portions. The value was exceptional and the service unbelievable. What a great experience!

Reviewed March 4, 2009

Whenever we're in Fredericksburg, TX, we make it a point to dine at the Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant. We live in Arizona & were just recently visiting. It was actually on our "to do" list. The food, as always, was absolutely delicious. And I can't say enough about the service. When the weather's nice, it's wonderful to sit outside by the coy pond. I'd highly recommend this restaurant to locals & visitors alike.

Reviewed March 2, 2009

The Cabernet Grill is a good restaurant, but there's no way it should be #1 in Fredericksburg. We went a couple of weekends ago because of the reviews here, and I was disappointed. I wish we'd chosen something else. If you're looking for a special restaurant for a getaway weekend in the Hill Country, this probably isn't what you're looking for.

It is very popular though (which may be enough to explain the #1 ranking). We arrived at 7 p.m. on a Saturday night in February, and the parking lot was very nearly full. People were waiting up front, and I was glad I'd made a reservation. We were seated promptly.

The food at the Cabernet Grill is good. Definitely above average, and they go to the effort of plating and presenting the dishes with care. My husband had the pork, which we both liked. I had the pecan-crusted chicken, which was good too, but very skimpy on the pecans. It was more like breaded chicken (tasted kind of like wiener schnitzel) with a little bit of pecans mixed in.

Drinks were well above average. They have a good selection of local wines, which my husband enjoyed, and I had a delightful Cosmopolitan made with vodka from Austin.

The service was nice too. Friendly (but not too friendly) and efficient, though we didn't feel rushed either.

So now maybe you're wondering why I'm saying this shouldn't be #1, when I'm also saying our experience was pretty good overall. Something was just a little off about the whole thing.

The decor at the Cabernet Grill is kind of cheesy. They're trying to go with a wine theme, and it turns out looking like a chain restaurant--like Olive Garden or something.

Also, for what it's worth, the Cabernet Grill seems to attract a mature crowd. We are in our late 30s, and other than the people seated at the table next to us (we joked with them that we were in the kids' section of the restaurant) practically everyone in there was in their 60s or older. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I just felt like I was at a chain restaurant.

We loved, loved, loved our choice for the next night. Definitely check out The Nest. Absolutely lovely. Beautiful setting in an old home, excellent food, great service.

For what it's worth, I have a copy of the Fredericksburg Convention & Visitors Bureau list of restaurants and, in addition to The Nest, here are its listings for "Fine Dining:" August E's, Austin's--the Restaurant at Rose Hill Manor, Navajo Grill (tried this years ago--it was good then), and Troisi's Italian Restaurant. BTW, the Cabernet is listed under the "Hill Country" cuisine section. Maybe I should've realized that I actually wanted something more like "Fine Dining" but I was taken in by Cabernet Grill's #1 ranking on tripadvisor.

If you want a decent meal, in a nice-ish (but slightly cheesy) setting, Cabernet Grill might be good for you. But at these prices, I expect something really special, and I didn't think the Cabernet Grill delivered.

Reviewed February 28, 2009

First, make reservations if you desire to eat there on a Friday or Saturday night. A local told us we didn't need them, but the host of the restaurant told us we would have a 45 minute wait. We grabbed a chair in the bar and it wasn't, but 15 minutes before the host offered us a table outside. It was a cool night, but we enjoyed it all the same. The hubby had the buffalo enchiladas which were nice and I had the pecan crusted chicken with a creamy mustard sauce which was also tasty. We had the appetizer mushrooms which were tasty, but not excellent. Salads were fresh tasting with good dressings. Ambiance was good and service was courteous. We ended the meal with the chicken fried pecan pie which wasn't the strong point (more goo than pecans), but everything else made the experience very nice. Also, for a nicer restaurant, our tab was more reasonable than we expected. Our suggestion to the owners is that the outdoor eating space could use some more lighting around the water feature and less glaring lighting on the tables. Good experience.