“Good Meal at the Cottin Gin”

Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed July 11, 2008

Maybe it was because we had spent most of the last 19 months in London, but the Cottin Gin was the highlight of our brief visit to Fredericksburg. Sometimes a referal from the hotel won't meet your expectation, but in this case it was the exception. The Cottin Gin is just a short drive from Main Street and worth the effort. The property is a surprise once you leave the parking lot. The restaraunt and a few cabins for lodging are all in a rustic motiff and surround a rock mound with a waterfall and fish pond facing the restaraunt. They have porch seating facing the pond and water fall and that is where we enjoyed our meal. The Cottin Gin serves a good steak at a reasonable price. Our crab cake appetizer (one serving is enough for two), salad and baked potato rounded out what we considered a much better than average meal. The chocolate cake we couldn't eat until later is definately on the recommend you try list.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,686)

Reviewed July 9, 2008

I have to say this was the best meal I've had in 20 years. It was perfect. We had the russet potatoes with blue cheese sauce for an appetizer. My friend ordered the Ribeye with Bearnaise Sauce and I the Pecan Crusted Chicken with some kind of sauce.

When the steak came and I saw her cut into it - I knew I had to have a bite. I had two. It was perfectly cooked - not too fatty, and just delicious. The Chicken was fantastic too, but next time, I want the Ribeye.

There was an Eggplant dish that looked interesting that would be great too.

For dessert, we both had the Creme Brulee. EXCELLENT!

Our table neighbors had cheesecake and raved about that as well. (Hey it's Texas - everyone visits at dinner whether you know them or not!)

This is a must if you are near Fredericksburg!!!

Reviewed July 2, 2008

I mean are you kidding me? The best restaurant in the U.S.? That's just laugable!! Its decent but in NO way anything special. The people are great but come on. As the great oracle Kendall Carr once said, "Get Serious!!"

Reviewed July 1, 2008

My husband and I was taken there by my sister-in-law for a birthday dinner for myself. We had just been shopping in Fredricksburg and had planned on eating there as there is a lot of good restaurants and she suggested going to the Cotton Gin.
It was on our way to Kerrville where we were staying.

Wow! We were really glad and very delighted. The staff was great. The meal absolutely great! Very tasty and prepared as ordered. Hardly any wait and the place was packed.

I would recommend this place without a second thought. In fact, the next time my sister comes to Houston I am planning on taking her there. Would like to try out the little cabins they have on site for the night.

Reviewed June 30, 2008

The food was wonderful as well as the service. I dont think i have ever had a steak that good ever!!!! cant wait to go back!!