“Best of Fredericksburg”

Cabernet Grill Texas Wine Country Restaurant
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Buffet, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I dined here recently to celebrate her most recent 29th birthday. It was, as always, a delightful dining experience. Our reservations were for 7 and we were promptly seated inside. James, our waiter, was friendly and efficient. My wife enjoyed her Cosmo and I my Shiraz. We shared a lump crab appetizer that was delicious. She had the coconut shrimp tossed in a 5 pepper glace with a spicy red onion jalapeno slaw, while I had the egg plant pirogue, a hollow crispy fried egg plant filled with a blue crab and jumbo shrimp AuGratin and a side of three cheese grits. If you like egg plant, this is not to be missed, amazing! The birthday girl was treated to a slice of turtle pecan cheesecake, complete with candle and thankfully, no singing.

The restaurant is located at the edge of town, on Hwy. 16 South (the Kerrville highway) just across from the Racebarn and fairgrounds entrance. It is a nice place to escape the crowds on Fredericksburg's Main Street. Prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and service.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,751)

Reviewed May 11, 2013

A friend of mine who frequents Fredericksburg took me to Cabernet. She and her husband have been several times and everything was excellent. She had a hard time telling me what to get since everything is good. I got the Sesame Shrimp and it was to die for; side of three cheese grits, wonderful. We had reservations on a Saturday and went right in. The noise level at 6PM was not loud and they sat us upstairs so maybe that helped. Appears to have nice lodging available also.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

We found the restaurant on TripAdvisor, but were still expecting a touristy restaurant. Well, it wasn't or at least didn't feel like it. We dined there on a Wed. night and found it to be a wonderful dining experience. We can't speak to the noise level or the crowds on the weekends. We sat outside, the service (never were we rushed) and the food selections were terrific. With waterfalls and cabins surrounding the dining space, we enjoyed our pork tenderloin and eggplant pirout entrees, and some Tito's made martinis. We peaked into the main dining room and it was well appointed, but we could see that with a full crowd it could be noisy as it was a very open space. We would definitely go back again.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

The food was excellent, however the ambience was lacking due to the noise level. Attenuation of the crowd noise would make this facility a much better dining experience.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Ate there for first time recently celebrating anniversary. Great place for special occasions. Definitely will be back. Recommend the pork loin and the Malbec - scrumptious.