“Had breakfast at the Rathskeller and it was really good” 5 of 5 bubbles

Rathskeller Restaurant
Ranked #24 of 132 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American, German
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
“Had breakfast at the Rathskeller and it was really good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

Had the eggs benedict and beignets. The beignets weren't quite Cafe Du Monde good but they were quite tasty. The eggs benedict were superb. The waitress was pleasant, the service was quick and the location was convenient. Can't ask for much more.

Visited August 2013

“A pleasant evening.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

My girlfriend and I decided to eat at this charming basement restaurant in what was once the Fredericksburg hospital. I ordered the German plate, a hearty meal of two sausages, a veal cutlette, potatoes, and red cabbage. She ordered a delectable fried eggplant stuffed with shrimp and crab. We decided to end our delicious meal with peach bread pudding and cream.
As far as our weekend stay in Fredericksburg was concerned, I believe this was our best culinary experience. I cannot say why many restaurants in this town serve mediocre food; perhaps food tastes better in a town known more for its excellent, and easily available, beer and wine. Either my palate has improved, or the quality of the cuisine has nosedived. Needless to say, this was my first visit to Fredericksburg as a non-drinker, and it really is the place to be if you like beer and wine. Despite what at times felt like a stereotypical fleecing of the gullible tourist, I still love this town. I recommend the Rathskeller to those who want to eat a good meal, feel full, and not walk away with the impression that they have been fleeced. My only laments: if you don't drink alcohol, order tea or water. I ordered a Sprite, and was rather surprised to receive, for $2, a can and a glass of ice. I presumed that if ordered a "refill", I would have to pay another $2 for yet another can. A minor complaint; one wonders if they really sell that much soda to warrant the purchase of a machine. My last issue....my girlfriend absolutely despised the boiled carrots that accompanied her meal. I tried one, and I agreed...rather bland. Oh well....we'll order something different next time!

• Visited August 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Belton, Texas, United States
“Out of the way on Main Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

You could easily miss this little basement restaurant in the old hospital building--but don't! Our family was in Fredericksburg and walking to another place when we saw the sign for the Rathskeller. It's tucked away down a small flight of stairs and has lots of atmosphere. I had the sausage plate: knockwurst and bratwurst--excellent; sauerkraut--terrific; "German potato salad"--odd. The so-called potato salad is more of a potato soup with a sweet flavor I didn't like. But the rest of the plate was great. My wife had the beef/vegetable soup which was outstanding and the schnitzel which was so-so. My daughter had the stuffed salmon which was "perfectly cooked" according to her. My son had the fried catfish and finished every bite. There is a decent wine selection but I would prefer more options for beer. Overall, a solid four out of five and well worth a visit if you're in town.

• Visited July 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Katy, Texas
“Delicious Dinner”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a delicious dinner in this darling restaurant. We even enjoyed musical entertainment.

Visited July 2013
Austin, Texas
“Pretty average...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We had lunch here on a Saturday afternoon and the whole experience came out pretty average. The hostess was very nice and attentive (she refilled our drinks twice), but our waiter was basically invisible (or at least we were to him). My wife had the Caesar salad and it was nothing to write home about; I had the ravioli on special and it was actually pretty good. The atmosphere of the restaurant is pretty nice, but the price is high for what you're getting.

For every pro here, it seemed there was a con for us. I doubt we will try this place again.

Visited July 2013

Been to Rathskeller Restaurant? Share your experiences!