“A great time an great food!”

Auslander Restaurant
Ranked #18 of 143 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American, German, Steakhouse, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: German Style Lodge featuring schnitzel, wursts, spätzle, sauerkraut, strudel and more. Also top-quality steaks, fresh salads, and delicious sandwiches. Texas-style Biergarten with over 80 different beers, live music, and pet-friendly.
Reviewed October 3, 2009

My husband and I always go to The Auslander, and we have always enjoyed it. This time was no exception. We had the Jaegarsnitzel and a great dunkel. For dessert, we had the Apple Strudel, which was awesome--much better than the one we had at the Fredericksburg Brewing Company. We will be returning to The Auslander!

1  Thank ProfessorGoodLife
Write a ReviewReviews (1,498)

Reviewed September 15, 2009

Being a German oriented couple, my wife and I have tried numerous German restaurants in the Fredericksburg, TX area. This was the least of the bunch.

Although our expectations were high, the food didn't nearly match up. The decor was typical German. The Biergarten (beer garden) was very nice and protected overhead from the drizzling rain.

The menu had many great sounding German dishes, of which we are both very familiar (She was born in Berlin). The beer was cold and authentic.

The rouladen (rolled pounded beef filled with pickle, onion, bacon and mustard) was not hot and had a canned gravy flavor.
My Kassler Rippchen (smoked pork chops) were small, dry and shriveled. The only thing good was the red cabbage.

Our waitress seemed annoyed when we didn't order an appetizer and she turned on her heel and sped away. Not a great beginning. It took her an inordinate amount of time to return for our drink order.

Maybe that's why we were so picky.

Gemutlich it wasn't.

The true tragedy is that this place could be a gold mine. The proper ambiance and location exist.

The quality of the food needs to improve. Service, too.

Reviewed September 5, 2009

They have a variety of food, and had the beer we wanted. We had a 10 minute wait on a weekend night. We chose inside because there was a longer wait in the beer garden. Food was pretty good, the service was a little slow. I will return again. Liked the location, and family friendly outside.

1  Thank AustinTrip
Reviewed August 2, 2009

Good selection of German Food and Beer over all other restaurants in the area. Service was great. Had the schnitzel (jager and wiener) it was terrific. Had german music playing in background. We were drawn into the restuarant by the smell of food as we were walking by. We had originally planned to go to the Fredericksbury Brewery for dinner, by opted for Auslander- I'm glad we did.
A must while in Fredericksburg

Reviewed July 30, 2009

While on vacation in the Hill Country, we stopped in Frederickburg to enjoy a day with shopping and dining. The entire E Main Street area is charming and wonderful - Over the years, the overall quality and quantity of businesses have improved. Auslander looked to be a a nice place and it's menu was full of reasonably priced American, Mexican and German items.(Yes, I said Mexican...). I was not that hungry, so I ordered a Farmers Plate which was described as German smoked meats and gourmet cheeses. When the platter arrived, it had a nice array of crackers, some fresh pumpernickel bread, some sliced salamis with fresh sausage and some cheese. The quantity , for the price , was a tremendous deal - the platter could feed 6-8 people easily. The problem was Auslander's choice of cheeses - I am not a cheese snob, but I do appreciate good cheese. The cheese on the platter appeared to be precut Kraft cheddar and swiss slices. Keep in mind that Fredericksberg is a German town, and there is no shortage of cost effective imported foods. The cheese was not in alignment with the quality of the meats and breads, so the cheese was just a waste.

1  Thank Aamber_Eyes