“Excellent Dinner” 4 of 5 bubbles

Nest Restaurant
Ranked #17 of 132 Restaurants in Fredericksburg
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
San Diego, California
“Excellent Dinner”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

A house converted into a restaurant. Somehow while it is quaint and stylish, they missed making it romantic. Perhaps it's the open table seating rather than booths. Perhaps it's the high ceilings. Perhaps it's the busy street/hwy outside.

A restaurant is first and foremost about food, and the cuisine here is outstanding. Well cooked and served.

I have to say that the prices, for the location, are a bit spendy.

A nice place to eat, but it won't be one for the memory books.

1 Thank NeaLinda

Coppell, TX
“Great food, great service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2008

My wife had the black angus beef and I had the shrimp. Both were excellent. The bread was really good as well. I even liked the salad - and I almost never enjoy a salad. The waitress was friendly and did a great job on a fairly busy night. The atmosphere was casual and relaxed. We even splurged for desert - the chocolate walnut tart was - what else? - excellent! After all that, the tab was not exactly small - though wine was a fairly big part of our bill - but we definitely plan to return to The Nest on our visits to Fredericksburg!

austin, tx
“Far Far superior to the current #1 in Fredericksburg”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2008

Terrific service, quaint decor, nice menu selections both prepared and presented very well.

Nice wine selection without exorbitant markups.

We had the Filet Mignon, and though they serve too big a portion (9 OZ by their menu, seemed even larger), it was nicely prepared with a fine demi- glaze and the sides were complimentary.

Their service was perfect.

#1 in Fredereicksburg IMO.

2 Thank robg9000
Albuquerque, NM
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Long- Time Fans of This Gem!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2007

We first experienced The Nest soon after they opened, in 1997. What an experience! -- the owner/ chef used local ingredients-- like herbs from the garden out back, and his treatment of beef and seafood standards were handled with a delicacy not often seen in the area. The sauces were all fresh and executed with obvious talent. (A note-- I' have high standards and I'm spoiled from working at a pretty famous N.O. Garden District restaurant when "Mr. 'Bam!'" took over). The tenderloin with Bordelaise was excellent. That meal was finished with a lavender ice cream made with fresh lavender, from the garden. Wow!
On subsequent visits we enjoyed the duck in demi- glace, quail, wonderful soups-- The Nest has been consistently excellent all the times we've managed to visit since leaving central Texas. The space itself is tasteful and understated which never fails to add to the Fredricksburg experience. Its' our favorite stop as we travel through the area from New Mexico.

1 Thank Cajun-Foodie
austin
“Disappointing experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2007

My husband and I spent 5 days in Fredericksburg in July 2007 and The Nest was highly recommended. What an expensively disappointing evening this was! We started off with Ceviche; very attractively served in tall martini glasses; our waitress dumped them on the table without even placing a small plate beneath them. The glasses were filled to the brim and decorated with spikes of red tortilla chips - very difficult to eat, certainly impossible to avoid messing the table cloth! Very embarrassing and not up to the standard of a restaurant who charges such prices and where attention to detail is paramount! When the waitress removed the empty dishes, she picked up the tea spoons we had eaten with and lay them on the table by our plate! My husband looked at me and said: "does she think I'll eat dessert with the same spoon as I ate fish?"
No bread was served with the appetizer and when we asked for it were told (as if we should have known) that it was in the oven! Poor, poor service!
We found the food in general too rich and over the top and the portions far too big.
We live in Austin and are spoilt for choice of excellent top quality restaurants where prices match quality and service received; in comparison we found the Nest expensive, pretentious and the service leaving a lot to be desired! Such a shame!

3 Thank mrs_cb