“A gem in the middle of nowhere”
Review of Hangar Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fredericksburg
Hangar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed October 16, 2013

The Hangar Hotel was awesome.

Stylish art deco interior. Firendly staff. Goergeous bar. Elegant rooms. Free coffee, juice and delicious cookies for breakfast.

We enjoyed a moonlit walk down the runway without disturbance!

Worth every penny.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hangar Hotel

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I love this place! We will fly in next time, but this time were driving through the Hill Country. It is quiet, with only the sounds of the crickets and the slight ticking of the old timey wind up clock to lull us to sleep. The bed was comfortable: an old four poster from the 50's. The room was appointed with exquisitely worn and comfortable large leather chairs. The bathroom was done in a 1950's style black and white tile with a wooden cabinet for the sink. We stayed in Room 2. Each of the rooms is decorated differently.

The people there are very warm, welcoming and cheerful. I could have snuggled up in this hotel for a week. I like the idea that we can fly our plane practically to the door and just grab a cart to bring our bags in. It just doesn't get much better than this. The hotel holds 50 people and the meeting rooms in the next hangar make it a perfect place for a fly-in and meeting. Definitely will be recommending this to all my friends.

Room Tip: If you have trouble going up stairs, there is no elevator, so make sure you book a ground floor room...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We stayed here in September. For a place that is away from the hustle and bustle of automobile traffic this is the place. We had a very relaxing evening and the noise level was zero till the small planes arrived in the morning for breakfast at the retro cafe. The hotel is very clean and the folks are most friendly. If I were going to Fredricksburg to shop I would prefer a hotel in the downtown area. A plus to the Hangar Hotel it is very close to The Cabernet Grille which is one of my favorite places to eat. They have a small cute bar and they had entertainment on the night we were there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 9, 2013

After reading the reviews of this gem of a hotel I had to book it for trip through Texas. I am so happy I did and my husband has been singing its praises since we stayed there! The check in was quick and easy, the room was SO NICE!! We just loved the decor and the cleanliness and how comfortable the bed was. The TV was the only thing that could be changed, it was an old tube tv with very few channels. Other than that we loved it here and it is the reason we want to go back to Fredericksburg. My husband purchased their T-shirt and almost bought one of their wool blankets that looked like the old military blankets.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 6, 2013

This hotel is a hidden treasure directly adjacent to a small airstrip. It's a great place to get away from it all and unwind. We were part of a large group and drove in to meet up with some sport pilots flying in for the weekend. What's not to enjoy about a drive in the hill country and when we pulled into the Hangar parking lot we knew we were in for a real treat. The hotel was designed to look like an actual hangar but inside it is tastefully decorated to give that 1940's feeling. Every detail is well done inside and out. From the second you walk into the hotel lobby you are transported back in time. Your mood changes instantly and relaxation starts to set in. Maybe it's the big band music playing softly in the background, the vintage furnishings and photographs, the big comfy leather chairs, the elegant staircase, or the cozy private bar and lounge area (that featured live music the night we arrived). Whatever it is you'll feel it. My favorite aspect of the hotel is the covered viewing deck where we watched the planes come and go during the day, then watched the sun set while having cocktails before dinner, and when we retuned we sat on the deck star gazing while having aperitifs. There is a quaint dinner onsite also in keeping with the vintage look and feel that does a decent breakfast and lunch too. The rooms are spacious, clean and relaxing. The hotel staff should also be commended on their service which was impeccable. I give this hotel my highest recommendation and I can't wait until our next fly in!

Room Tip: You don't have to be a pilot to enjoy staying here!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lisa O
Reviewed September 4, 2013

I will definitely stay here at the next opportunity. What a wonderful, relaxing, nostalgic hotel. If you love history, the 1940s, airports and quiet small hotels, this is the place for you. I wish we could have stayed longer.

My sister, a friend and I arrived late. When my sister went in to register, the clerk said she was worried we hadn't eaten so she gave us cookies. They were wonderful, but even better was the first impression she made with us. We felt very welcomed.

From the outside, the hotel looks like a WWII era Quonset Hut. Upon entering, the reception area looks like a 1940s high quality reception area with lots of wood and clocks showing times in different countries. Off to one side is a lounge with comfortable furniture and a pool table. This looked like a great place to hang out. It was too bad we arrived so late.

Our room was a delight. Everything in it was perfect 1940s down to the bathroom design, the telephone and the lighting. We loved it at the Hangar Hotel. After a totally relaxing night, we had the light breakfast that was provided and took it to the upper outdoor observation deck. We sat in comfy chairs overlooking the runway. It was fun to see planes land so close.

We really enjoyed staying at the Hangar Hotel in Fredericksburg, Texas. One last thing - no kids allowed! I guess that's the reason for the quiet at night! zzzzZZZ Perfect!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 4, 2013

Awesome hotel. It advertises itself as a step back in time to WWII aviation days. It fits that description well while having enough modern conveniences to be perfectly comfortable. The balcony overlooking the airstrip is perfect for sunsets. LOL, someone called this a back balcony but it's the front balcony for those flying in.

The hotel is paired with a 1940's airstrip diner next door which has very limited hours, so check. I've been to the strip two separate times, for a total of 4 nights, and have yet to catch the diner open! There are no fridges in the rooms, and the A/C might have some trouble cooling a room down if you get there late on a summer day, but no worse than other hotels.

Unfortunately, city (or county) and state tourist fees add $20/night to the bill. It may get booked on weekends by fly-in pilots but is fairly open during the week.

There are rental cars available next door (at the airstrip FBO).

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo