“Slip sliding away”
Review of Hangar Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Fredericksburg
Hangar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 25 Hotels in Fredericksburg
Reviewed September 4, 2012

We have stayed at the Hangar Hotel many times, but this time was really a disappointment. The wainscoting in the room had all been damaged as well as quite a few tiles in the bathroom. The wall had a dirty place on it and the sheers behind the curtains were missing entirely. When we opened the drapes anyone could see in. The sheers had given a little privacy by letting in light but keeping out prying eyes. One of the lightbulbs in the bath was out and it took two requests to get it replaced. They actually asked if we wanted to do it and this entailed climbing up a ladder to reach above the sink. I will say, however, that if cleanliness is your only criteria this would be a decent place to stay. It's just getting shabby from lack of upkeep.This used to be our favorite place to stay in Fredericksburg, but we have determined this will be our last stay.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first. Apparently, upkeep is low on their list of priorities.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sharon B
There are newer reviews for Hangar Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2012

My husband and I went to Frederickburg for the weekend. The hotel was decorated with beautiful 1940's charm. When my husband called the front desk he was greeted by his surname. I noticed the staff was polite, professional, helpful and RESPECTFUL. So hard to find in this day. The officers club was closed but there were people in it so I didn't really understand that. The room was beautifully done including tasteful pin up art, Room 42's mattress was a little hard for us. I woke up several times with back pain and had to rotate. I don't have back pain so this was mattress related not guest. :) 1940's bathroom was darling and very clean I dropped a bobby pin and went to get it under the sink and not a speck of dirt, hair or anything was found. My bobby pen was in the far corner. That cleanliness was impressive to me. The room had a lovely army blanket included in decor. The front of the door was stamped the room number army barracks style. Instructions placed in the room made things easy. We attended the 1940's USO type dance that included an orchestra. They played 1940's music. It was nice and they had a great sound. The band director took to long to switch songs. After the song we would clap and go and sit down and by the time you were comfortable then he would start a new song. That might be how they do it I just expected another song to start after we clapped. The diner served hot dogs, burgers and nachos. Nothing fancy but sufficient for a hungry dancer. It was an older crowd with grown ups ranging from 25-90s plus. It was a classy crowd. There was a 1940's costume competition with some great outfits. It was confusing how to enter the competition. You just put your name on a paper and desribed what you were wearing. I assumed it would be a by applause type competion but somebody picked the winners ahead of time and that wasn't announced who decided. Winners were all couples and not individuals. There were several great individual costumes very consistent with correct 1940's attire. The lady in the white dress was my favorite. It was classic 1940s. The announcer of the winners got on a soap box about what was wrong with the government today and how we should all vote. That was uncomfortable and unpleasant. The bar was priced average and staff was polite. Security was present and smiled warmly when we entered. This was a great first time experience. I don't know if I would come back to the hotel because the price was a little high for sleeping on that kind of mattress. I would definitely go to the USO dance again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We stayed at the Hangar Hotel for a Friday night and loved our experience. The hotel caters to an older crowd of retired military, but there was an interesting mix of people. Many folks fly their small planes in to the adjacent airport and then stay the night. The rooms were comfortable and the noise level was just fine--probably because kids under the age of 18 aren't allowed. The Officers' Club was fantastic. Large, wonderful cocktails at very reasonable prices. We were serenaded by James on the piano and had a lovely time mixing with the other guests and shooting pool. The hotel is only 2 miles from Fredericksburg and we truly felt that the hotel was part of the Fredericksburg experience. In the morning, we enjoyed breakfast at the diner and sat out on the Observation Deck to catch a cool breeze and watch the planes take off. We were sorry to leave because we missed the next evening's USO swing dance!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

I visited this hotel during a business trip. I certainly didn't expect to leave a business conference feeling like I was on a trip back in time and wanting to return.

This is a fabulous, quaint hotel which offers the nostalgia of the way hotels were once operated, and pleasantly so.

I would stay here again if I had the opportunity and recommend this hotel over brand names if you want different and refreshing! Very quiet, I LOVE the leather sofas and chairs throughout the property and the simple way of living the hotel offers. Good facility for meetings and conferences, just leave time open to visit the town during business hours as they are generally closed in the evenings. Great little diner by the hotel which serves a great breakfast and you can watch planes land, walk in to have breakfast and leave again.

I was both shocked and awed over this fabulous place!

Room Tip: No refrigerator or microwaves... Just the old simple way of living.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We spent a honeymoon night here as my husband loves vintage airplanes. And dang it, now he wants to revitalize an old interest and buy one! The hotel is in a building that was once a hangar (or resembles one). The decor is all geared to older aviation. On the property by the runway, there is an old Goonie Bird.The bar on the first floor is the Officer's Club, full of leather furniture and old pictures, a view of the runway of the Gillespie County Airport. The room was comfy and it actually had a bathroom you could walk into and close the door without banging your knees on the toilet,unlike many modern hotels. What is that about, anyway?! They served coffee and scones in the morning. The staff was very welcoming and helpful. There is a diner in an adjacent building, very retro. We did not eat there as they had limited hours. The hotel has a binder with menus from all the restaurants in Fredericksburg. It is a short drive to the downtown area which has many shops, galleries, eating and drinking places, and an antique mall that is bigger inside than it looks from the outside.

Room Tip: If you want to watch aircraft landing, ask for a room at the lobby end, near the runway or on the no...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank diractor
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Loved the hangar-style architecture, the 1940's decor, and the tasty food at the diner. Met some nice folks on the veranda, and slept like a baby! A really nice place to stay, and close to lots of good restaurants (Hilda's tacos is recommended). Don't miss the Rock Box, a Branson-style theater that rocks with live 50's, 60's, 70's music.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank EXteacher_12
Reviewed July 30, 2012

My husband and I eloped Thursday morning in Dripping Springs and headed to Fredericksburg for the evening. We really enjoyed the Hangar Hotel. The atmosphere is so cool...very retro, WWII vibe with the decor and music. The hotel is extremely clean and the staff is wonderfully sweet and professional.

Even though the hotel is literally at the airport, it was super quiet.

The rooms were spacious and clean. The only cons would be: no microwave or small fridge in the rooms. Also, the pillows were VERY high/puffy. I didn't realize there was a flatter pillow in the closet. So be sure to check there (or bring your own) if you aren't a fan of thick/high pillows.

That evening, we went to the Officer's Club (bar) for a few drinks. We chose to sit outside on the patio in the rocking chairs. Evidently, Thursday evenings is when a lot of the locals come to the lounge. We had intentions of driving into town to hit up a local restaurant, but ended up sitting with the locals on the patio ALL evening! It was so fun and low key..just perfect! Inside the lounge was a piano player. We had such a great time chatting with the locals. It really felt like we were sitting on a friend's patio chatting it up all night.

We will definitely be back and highly recommend the Hangar Hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple